Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rim choice between Crest and FlowEX?

I'm looking for a xc/trail rim in 650b for my TRc. I currently have regular 26" Flows on my Nomad and they are working fine there. I'm about 200lbs but generally pretty easy on my gear. I don't think I need FlowEX rims, so the natural choice would be the ArchEX. However, they don't make it in 650b.

That said, I read through these forums and see some really mixed reviews of other offerings. What other brands/models fit in between those two rims that will build a 650b trail wheel? I'm open to any suggestions but don't want to drop $2500 on ENVEs as much as that sounds appealing. Thanks.

LyN
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robsetsfire View Post
    I don't think I need FlowEX rims, so the natural choice would be the ArchEX. However, they don't make it in 650b.
    Can you wait a little bit? They have been shown in Eurobike (I've seen a picture, just don't remember where) so they should be just about to be launched!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've seen arch ex pics recently.
    How about the TL28?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Well that will solve the problem... I looked around the eurobike stuff and I didn't see them. I figured I wouldn't do anything until after interbike anyway.

Thanks

mtbr member
    If your not racing, and have the frame clerance then the Flow Ex is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I guess I didn't dig enough into the eurobike stuff. Here's hoping they make it to retail by October as stated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rim choice between Crest and FlowEX?-292030_10151211575044365_1214172308_n.jpg  

Last edited by robsetsfire; 09-16-2012 at 02:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    tl28.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    tl28.
    +1

I love my tl28's

NedwannaB

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by robsetsfire View Post
    I'm looking for a xc/trail rim in 650b for my TRc. I currently have regular 26" Flows on my Nomad and they are working fine there. I'm about 200lbs but generally pretty easy on my gear. I don't think I need FlowEX rims, so the natural choice would be the ArchEX. However, they don't make it in 650b.

That said, I read through these forums and see some really mixed reviews of other offerings. What other brands/models fit in between those two rims that will build a 650b trail wheel? I'm open to any suggestions but don't want to drop $2500 on ENVEs as much as that sounds appealing. Thanks.
    If you can find some, the WTB Laser Disc Trail have been great for me. That being said I would have got a pair of the regular Arch if they had them. Not a fan of the new fancy bold lettering on the EX's.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    While building my wheels, I could tell the Flow was a bit stiffer than the TL28. In the saddle, I am unable to notice a difference, though I'm not on a carbon frame (it's a large Blur LT2). What I do notice from the saddle is the 100g lighter weight of the TL28, most likely because it is near the outer edge of the wheel/tire combo. I don't believe I would notice that same 100g if it were in the hub.

Fred

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just a question, how does the ZTR Archers differ from the ZTR Crest.

Mostly ride Mountain King front and Race King 2.2 rear.

Do they have different applications?

G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    I could tell the Flow was a bit stiffer than the TL28.
    how do the Pacenti compare to Flow for tubelessness setup, seating and operation. i'm a soon-to-be tubeless newbie one the fence about which rim to use for my fisrt wheelset. looking at Crest and TL28. maybe waiting for ArchEX, since that's what i wanted originally.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

NedwannaB

My knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by georgelza View Post
    Just a question, how does the ZTR Archers differ from the ZTR Crest.

Mostly ride Mountain King front and Race King 2.2 rear.

Do they have different applications?

G
    Typically Arch are used more on aggressive xc rigs, Crest more for the lightwieght zippy xc builds. As a light(er) rider I could go Crest, but chose Arch for my 29" wheels runn2.2 WTB 2.2 Wolverine back/Bronson in front. Others opinions may differ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    At which fork length would you start including the "aggressive" label" 120 or 140?

I do XC, and some trail, but most of the trail is slower, technical, not the hang on and hope we get to the bottom at the same time type of idea.

Thanks for the meaningful response.

G

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The main thing I like about the TL28 is that it is nice and wide while still being lightweight. It's wider than the Crest and only weighs a bit more, and it has spoke hole eyelets, which the Stan's rims do not. The Arch EX is stiffer and stronger and still pretty light. Unless you are doing a weight-weenie build or you are very light and easy on equipment, I think the slight weight penalty of the Arch EX, compared to the Crest, is worth it. I have 2 sets of Crest wheels (26er and 29er), and the flex in the 29er Crests is noticeable and they have needed truing a few times. A friend who is very lightweight but likes to bunny hop everything switched from Crests to Arch EXes because the Crests were no longer round.

The stock Stan's ZTR wheelsets are a good deal for the money. The ZTR hubs have worked fine and have been reliable for me. For a complete wheelset I would probably go this route. For a custom build I would probably choose the TL28.

I have also heard good things about the American Classic Race wheelsets. They are super lightweight but still seem to be fairly stiff and durable, and the rims have a good width like the TL28s. They cost nearly twice as much as the stock Stan's wheelsets, though.

Sloth Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    ... What I do notice from the saddle is the 100g lighter weight of the TL28, most likely because it is near the outer edge of the wheel/tire combo...
    Fred
    Come on!

mtbr member
    There is a recommended rider weight limit for Stan's Crests in the 29er size of 190 lbs and the ArchEx is 230 lbs. Not sure of the recommended rider specs for the 650b wheels.

Thanks for the pic "Robsetsfire" - I wondered if Stan's was going to include this for 2013. Now I'm anxiously waiting for the 650b ArchEx to hit the streets !

Also, I have a set of the 29er ArchEx and for the small weight difference (100 g), comparing the Crests, the additional strength is well worth the reliability and assurance.

NedwannaB

Relative to ride/bike

Quote Originally Posted by georgelza View Post
    At which fork length would you start including the "aggressive" label" 120 or 140?

I do XC, and some trail, but most of the trail is slower, technical, not the hang on and hope we get to the bottom at the same time type of idea.

Thanks for the meaningful response.

G
    I'm "aggressive" on a HT with an 80mm fork! But since 120 seems to be the new 100 xc travel, I'd say 140.

OOMV

mtbr member
    TL-28's set up tubeless very easily for me. As easy if not moreso than Stan's. The TL's would be my first choice for my next wheelset.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    You should consider these as well. carbon 650b mountain bike rims status - light-bicycle There is a long thread in the 29er section about the rims. I have been using them and will never buy another brand of rim again. I will be buying a set of these in 27.5 as well.
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (155mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    I went with Flow EX and racing ralphs and they set-up tubeless easily with my pancake compressor, if I had used soapy water I could have done it with a floor pump. I am a big fan of the flows, ran them on my first 29er, they were solid and rigid, and I was 240# at the time and a novice rider that had just broken the stock wheels and needed replacements. I used them on the next bike after that and they were perfectly true when I sold the bike a year after first riding the wheels.

My LBS had a pair of Crest in there last Sunday that were beyond repair, really bad, almost taco'd.

Crest is fine if you are under 175# and the wheels rarely leave the ground, if you are heavier and/or hop over stuff and get a little air under you occasionally you want Arch at a minimum. The beauty of the EX is that it stretches the tire out a little boit more, gives you a slightly more laterally stiff wheel, and doesn't weigh much more than the non-EX model.

If Arch EX had been available when I bought mine I probably would have tried them first.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    What is the weight going to be for the Arch EX? I am wondering how these will compare to the American Classic All Mountain and Terrain wheels for weight and strength.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have the TL28s as well.

They're 420g and build up really easily.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    whats TL28?
    thx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast