Just let go. Let go!

Rigid SS: put 29 front wheel on or fat tire

For a rigid 26" SS which would "comfort up" the front end more:
    a 29" front wheel or a 2.5 fat tire?

mtbr member
    I have a bike I've run both those ways. I used a Surly fork and with the 29" wheel it was the same height as a 26" wheel with a suspension fork, so the handling didn't change much. I could only fit a 29x2.2 low knob (one of the Bontrager tires) front tire on it. I only did this as an experiment for a few rides. With the 26" wheel on there I ran a Conti Diesel 2.5. It had a folding bead and wasn't too heavy for it's size. It's by far my favorite 26" tire. This was my last 26" wheeled bike (it's back to a 26" front wheel) and I hardly ride it anymore.

Running the same bike both these ways I was surprised to find that the front end impacts were pretty close, but I liked the way the 29" hooked up in the turns. If I had the choice I think I'd run a 29", assuming it didn't hurt the bikes handling.

When people ask me about the 29er I often describe the traction and bump absorption of a 29x2.2 tire to be pretty close to that of a 26x2.5.

Just let go. Let go!
    Thanks. Good to hear that from someone who's tried both.

mtbr member
    Haven't tried out a true 26" fat front tire ala Jeff Jones, but it's in the works. I have and do run a 29x2.55 as well as a fairly largeish 26x2.5... no comparrison between them. The 26" handles faster, but does not roll over stuff quite as well as the 29er. The 29er is a lot of fun, but will require that you calculate out the A-C so you're not too chopperish, and that you can fit a big tire in there. I've had good luck with 425 a-c on-one, my 413 a-c surly doesn't like big tires. n-joy

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I wanna run a Larry up front with a Salasa fork...
    On a 26inch bike... Will I be ok

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i have a surly fork and run a 650b north and a 26" south. the bike handles like a deam and the bigger wheel lets me carry more speed without sacrificing agility in singletrak. here's my 650b / 26er singlespeed. it's faster than my rocky mt blizz ! I would definitely recommend going bigger up front. You will not regret it. Here's my blog on the bike build: www.onecogblog.blogspot.com