Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here. Revelation RLT vs. Fox Float 34 - having trouble deciding

I'm building up a new Turner Burner (140mm rear travel) and am having a hard time deciding on the fork. I'm down to either the Revelation RLT or the Fox Float 34, both at 150mm. The Fox is about a 1/2-pound heavier but in theory should be stiffer with the 34mm stanchions. I'd like to save the weight, but not sure if I'll miss the thicker stanchions and what I've heard is a bit plusher ride? Anybody have experience with either (or both) of these and would care to characterize how they ride? I'm about 160 lbs. (probably 170 lbs. geared up) if that matters. I'm not a super-aggressive rider (I don't huck huge drops) but like ride fairly technical singletrack in CO/UT.

Thanks,
    Sean

mtbr member
    If you want to go faster than you currently do, gear up for that progression. I would say that any stiffness you can get in the front end of any bike is a good idea. You'll never feel LESS confident with a stiffer fork. At higher speeds with the chunky stuff you get in CO/UT, I would go 34 over Rev. Of course, Lyrik 275 would be perfect, but they don't got that...

I've spent the last few years riding Totem, Fox 32, Lyrik and Revelation a lot. I'm assuming that the 34 is stiffer than the Rev.

Good luck.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    If you want to go faster than you currently do, gear up for that progression. I would say that any stiffness you can get in the front end of any bike is a good idea. You'll never feel LESS confident with a stiffer fork. At higher speeds with the chunky stuff you get in CO/UT, I would go 34 over Rev. Of course, Lyrik 275 would be perfect, but they don't got that...

I've spent the last few years riding Totem, Fox 32, Lyrik and Revelation a lot. I'm assuming that the 34 is stiffer than the Rev.

Good luck.

mk
    Lee lau writes for nsmb and did a review a few months back. I believe it rode both forks on the transition bandit 29. He could find no difference in the stiffness between both forks. That is why I bought the revolution and have been very happy with it. Half a pound is a lot...

mtbr member
    I too have been on the fence about the 650b fork options. White Bros. Loop and the forthcoming X-Fusion Slant are the other two on my list.

You probably already have seen this comparison review of the Revelation and Float from Bicycling, but if not:
    Fox and Rockshox 27.5 Forks Tested | Bicycling Magazine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post

Good luck.

mk
    It sure is. I've owned both the Revelation and Fox 34, both in 29er flavor and kept the 34. Maybe if you're under 200 lbs, the Revelation wouldn't be as noticeable in flex as it was for me at the time.

As for the Lyrik 27.5, never say never.

mtbr member
    You will have inputs from both sides since everybody has different opinions.
    Having ride the two options you pinpoint in a Burner I would choose the RS over the Fox always, I felt the RS more plush than the Fox, if you are in the mood of tuning your fork RS give you plenty of room for that, Fox CTD (same as 2005 Marzocchisīs TST) is simple but limited.
    I also read a German comparation between Fox 34 & RS Revelation (29erīs) and the conclusion was that 34 is something around 20% more rigid just to brake rersistance and Revelation has more lateral stiff than Fox (can not remenber the article, sorry)
    IMHO RS Revelation
    Plushnes
    Tune options
    Weigth
    Price
    Would like to try WB and Xfusion
    In my workshop, dirty hands is a state of mind

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Good feedback, thanks folks. I did try the White Bros. 150mm fork and found it dove too much under braking (or required too much air pressure to prevent diving such that I didn't get full travel). I've read that Fox changed their damping to make their fork more linear (less ramp up at the end) for 2013, which would imply it would feel more like a RS (?). So I'm guessing the main difference is going to be a weight vs. stiffness decision. I've managed to keep the weight down on the build elsewhere by going XX1 and Stan's Crest wheels, so I'm leaning toward the Revelation to stick with that trend. (I guess you could argue that by shaving weight elsewhere I have room to burn some weight on the fork...). Being a relatively light rider and not someone who catches much air, I'm hoping I can get away with the lighter build. If this were a 29er I'd definitely go with the stiffer 34 stanchions; hoping that the 650 wheels are close enough to 26" in stiffness/etc. that I won't miss the extra 2mm.

Any other feedback still welcome.

Thanks,
    Sean

mtbr member
    mtn.sean - I also have a Burner on order, should be here next week! For the past 3 years, I have ridden a Spot w/ a 32mm Revelation on the front. Before that, I had a RFX with a 35mm Lyrik on it. I am 190 lbs and ride aggressive trails. Going from the Lyrik to the Revelation was a huge disappointment for me. The Rev. felt very flexy - I could often hear my 180mm rotor rub on the front brake pads from the fork flexing so much. The fork never came close to giving me the firm confidence that the Lyrik did.

It's my opinion that forks with over 120mm of travel should not even come in 32mm stanchions for heavy duty trail use. I'm going with the 34 Float for my Burner. I'll take a 1/2 of a pound any day for the trade-off of having a much stiffer fork that wont get pushed around from the line I tell it to track. The coil Lyrik I ran on the RFX has been my favorite fork I've owned to date, and I hope they release an air 650b version. Go with the Fox. I can't speak of the difference in plushness, but the 32mm forks are waaaaay to flexy for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have the fox on my burner as well. I'm about the same weight as you and ride the same area(if you want to ride together sometime let me know). The fox does well in the fast rocks, I don't notice any flex-but to be honest I doubt I'd see any with the RS either.

When xfusion finally brings out the 650b slant, I'll probably ditch the fox. I can't seem to find the right setting's and psi to get this thing working as smooth as I think it should.

I've only played with the RS's in person at the local shops-they seem a bit smoother to me then the fox. But with no ride time on them I can't say for sure about on the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well my decision just got more complicated:

Riding RockShox's New 2014 Pike - First Look - Pinkbike

Looks like the best of both worlds - 35mm stanchions and nearly the same weight as the Revelation. The question is can I wait long enough for it to become available?

-Sean

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainsean View Post
    Well my decision just got more complicated:

Riding RockShox's New 2014 Pike - First Look - Pinkbike

Looks like the best of both worlds - 35mm stanchions and nearly the same weight as the Revelation. The question is can I wait long enough for it to become available?

-Sean
    Yumm($$$)y looking fork. I really want to know the A-C height and the offset for the 650B fork if anyone comes across this info. I hope they were able to keep it the same height as the 650B Revelation fork (@ 150 travel) but I'm gonna guess it's taller like the Fox 34 is (5mm more than the 32mm Rev) A White Bros. Loop is another 5mm shorter than the Revelation at the same travel (10mm less than the Fox 34) so these things start to add up when deciding on a fork. 10mm = approx. 1/2 degree in HA
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    sucks that the new pike is 15 mm, not 20 mm T/A. As Mid Age Warrior said, the German mag that measured the 29er fox vs rockshox essentially concluded that the 20 mm axle helped lateral stiffness i.e. helped compensate for the somewhat narrow stanchion tubes.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The question is can I wait long enough for it to become available?

-Sean
    Well May 2013 is just around the corner...SRAM is pretty good about meeting intro targets.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    After seeing and weighing both forks today, I went with the Revelation RCT3 solo air. It measured 3.95 lbs. (uncut, with axle) vs. the Float that measured 4.56 lbs. (also uncut, with axle). That's a pretty hefty difference, not to mention the $300 cost savings. I figure I'd ride it, see how well I like it, and worst case I'll upgrade to the Pike if I feel it's not stiff enough.

-Sean

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Good choice. For your weight and riding style from post #1 you should be just fine. Look forward to your thoughts once the bike is built up. $300 saving isn't chump change either you're right. Also the 650B Slant might actually be available as a future option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sounds good, I'll try to report back with a write-up once the whole thing is built-up and ready to roll (hopefully this weekend). Should be pretty sweet. XX1 drivetrain, XO Trail brakes, Stan's Crest wheels, Schwalbe Hans Dampf/Nobby Nic F/R combo (tubeless), and a Kind LEV post. Throw in some reasonably lightweight cockpit items and I think she'll end up around 27 lbs. and be a hoot on the trail, up and down.

-Sean

mtbr member
    Please let us know how she goes and upload some pics of the build.
    In my workshop, dirty hands is a state of mind

mtbr member
    I think a lot of people showed you that knowing the difference between a 35mm chassis and the 32 is a psychological problem. And that matters. It's why my Revelation is under the workbench...

The new Pike is exactly the fork some of us have been waiting for. I got a message from my buddy at RockShox yesterday and he was a staunch Revelation rider for all the reasons we talked about. He's very much a weight weenie AFTER ride-quality weenie. He has had the new Pike for a few weeks now and he said he LOVES it. He's a jumper and enduro-style rider, what the guys at Suspension Experts call 'Enduro Lounge': conversation up, kill it down.

The new damper can only be better as it looks quite a lot like the FIT from Fox, just easier to deal with. The overhaul on the FIT is difficult and time-consuming. Oh, and messy. This looks cleaner.

I can't wait to check out your bike. Pics, fo sho! After riding 650 on 26 for the last few years, I'm ready for a dedicated bike with appropriate bb height, drop and fork trail. I switched back to 26 two months ago just for the geo!

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

~~~~~~~~
    I'm running the Rev on my Burner, 150lb rider and my rides include lots of jumping. We've got other bikes with Pike, Lyric, Totem and Boxxer, all coils, and I feel that my old 32mm stanchion boxxer still has the best suspension performance. Was a little worried about the Revelation but it's been working great, no complaints and . Basically decided to keep the bike light and the cost down, eventually will want to try a burlier fork but going to spend money on other parts first, tires and rear shock, as these items are going to provide more improvements than a fork. Of course I wouldn't be saying that if the Rev turned out to be a wet noodle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck View Post
    Basically decided to keep the bike light and the cost down, eventually will want to try a burlier fork but going to spend money on other parts first, tires and rear shock, as these items are going to provide more improvements than a fork.
    What wheels did you choose if I may ask? I wanted to keep the weight down too and went with the Stan's Arch, but I'm starting to have second thoughts. I'm well within the 190-lb. weight limit (I'm 160, probably 165 with gear), don't catch much air (the occasional 2'-3' drop but nothing too wild), and haven't had any trouble with my other rims (DT Swiss XR4.2D on my BlurLT and 450SL's on my SS 29'er). I'm just wondering whether I'm pushing my luck with the Arch rims.

-Sean

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I thought the Arch is rated to 240 lb

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Oops I mean Crest. I went with the Crest rather than the Arch, and am second-guessing myself.

-Sean

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Oops I mean Crest. I went with the Crest rather than the Arch, and am second-guessing myself.

-Sean
    For a Burner I would be to. Arch EX at least IMO or the Flow EX or a Pacenti TL28. If it's not a done deal I would go with the Arch EX and sleep better at night. Crest's are for XC racing and XC. A Burner is a bike to abuse wheels with. Not a good match.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by YaMon View Post
    Lee lau writes for nsmb and did a review a few months back. I believe it rode both forks on the transition bandit 29. He could find no difference in the stiffness between both forks. That is why I bought the revolution and have been very happy with it. Half a pound is a lot...
    At 165lbs (my weight) I couldn't tell a difference. A friend who's 210lbs could tell the difference. OP it sounds like you made an informed choice.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

~~~~~~~~
    What wheels did you choose if I may ask?
    I have Flow EX, I actually know the minimum about any of the Stans rims and just keeping my fingers crossed during my frequent cased, off camber and sideways landings. I've only had one hard rock rear pinch flat and no rim damage. I had mostly been riding my DH bike before the Burner so dw and 27.5 is a lot of newness for me, plus the bike feels so light compared to what I'm used to. I've actually hammered uphill for almost an hour a couple times, which is something I haven't done in years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast