mtbr member

Rev 26 to 275 Switch - Lowers

I posted this as an answer to a question over in Shocks/Suspension but thought y'all would like to know.

The parts in the SRAM control list show that there is only one CSU for the Revelation solo air 26 and Revelation 275. That means that the only difference in the fork is the lowers. The rebound and spring assemblies are the same part numbers as well.

Originally, when I talked to RockShox, they said that it would require 2 assemblies and lowers, making it cost prohibitive. I would say that it's reasonable to spend $200 to make your expensive fork work on 275 wheels. Not for everyone, sure, but not a huge expense. As this was my personal fork, I paid a bunch less than that ordering the lowers from my favorite distributor.

I've got full travel (147mm). I've got miles of clearance. Nothing rubs under the crown/tire and full, zero-air compression.

Additional a2c means that my headtube is slacker, which I couldn't be happier about. It was 68 and now it's 66.8 on my 140 carbon stumpy with 275 in the rear.

I have no idea about warranty from SRAM. As far as I know, maybe 3 guys at RockShox know that this works.

So, I am the proud owner of a 2012 World Cup carbon CSU RCT3 Revelation solo air with travel adjust 15mm thru white fork. I'm pretty sure I remember that black lowers are also available.

The dual air CSU appears to be different.

Happy day!

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That's good info. I'm sure there is plenty of frustrated Rev owners wanting to try 650B. Mine fits the smaller volume 650b tires. It's Dual air though, so I doubt the air cartridge threads in to the lowers in the same manner as on the solo air? it's not one of my favored forks so is only a back up any way. Still, I may give it a new lease of life yet.

mtbr member
    It would be great knowing which RS part numbers for the lower parts to convert the 26 in. fork so it can become 27.5,,,,,My 27.5 FS frame will arrive soon and I have a 2012 WC XX Rev 140 fork as reserve in need of conversion to 27.5...thanks

mtbr member
    There is only one set of 275 lowers for Revelation. One part number for white, one for black. Your LBS can get them for you from their distributor.

The big question is for Reba and SID. I haven't looked to see if it's a similar situation for those forks. I'll go check it out.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    SID/Reba model conversion from 29 to 275 is also possible. 26 to 275 as well. It depends on the travel. Some will require change in spring or rebound assemblies. It will be model year specific.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mmmmmmmmm could the same be done with Fox 32's. I have a set of 120mm travel 2012 RLC's (chged to 100mm) in my Ritchey. Getting a new 650b fork with a straight steerer is the problem. I wonder if a set of 650b sliders will fit at a much lower cost than a new fork. The local importer for fox said they would effectively do the same thing to make me a set of 650 forks with a straight steerer.

mtbr member
    You have to look at the Fox part numbers and the schematics that show what CSU is used for each fork. It is clearly in Fox's best interest to not create another CSU for a new fork model because a new set of lowers is required without a doubt.

I guess I found my next project. I smell a spreadsheet coming on...

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Nice work trailbildr, this is also great to know for people that get a great deal on a higher end 26" fork new or second hand knowing that for about $200 it is convertible to 27.5! With 2014 stuff coming out the 2013 will be getting marked down more aggressively over the next couple months, look for deals guys.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Interesting option for getting some more straight 1 1/8th steerer choices for sure. If anyone coverts a Reba/SID/whatever with 100-120mm travel and can share the parts needed (numbers, names whatever) I'd sure appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Link below opens big .pdf file of all RockShox parts and fork schematics.

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/0c..._spc_rev_b.pdf

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Universal Cycles has 650 Revelation lowers for $227...does not include Maxle or decals.
    Maxles are at least $52.

For Reba's, it states that 2011 and earlier CSUs and Lowers are not compatible with their 2012+ counterparts. (I got excited for a minute, thinking I had new life for an '09 Reba 29er fork I have.)

mtbr member
    Wonder if you could alternatively replace the tapered steerer/crown/slider assembly on a new 650b fork with an 1 1/8th one?

mtbr member
    It's all there in the parts list. It will show you if there is a 1 1/8" option for the fork.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Isn't the CSU assy where the fork offset change is made for a 26, 27.5 or 29'er fork? While maybe some of the lowers change out your fork offset will remain as it was if using the original CSU. Not a deal breaker and some might not notice it but something to think about.

mtbr member
    Yup. The only CSU difference is the fork offset. No way around that. When you are on a budget like me, you make that sacrifice. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Big crazy rock ride tomorrow.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    This is awesome info, thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    Yup. The only CSU difference is the fork offset. No way around that. When you are on a budget like me, you make that sacrifice. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Big crazy rock ride tomorrow.

mk
    Good info there, good to know that it will work, as I had wondered the same thing.

Is there any documentation out there that lists the offset for each CSU? I'm strongly considering converting my Nickel over to 27.5 this winter and had planned on just buying the lowers for my Sektor RCT3 and making the same swap.

Anyone out there have a 2013 Rev/Sektor 120mm or 130mm solo air spring assembly they would like to swap for a 140mm?

mtbr member
    Anyone know if this is going to be possible with the new Pike forks? Converting a 150 or 160mm 26 fork to 650b/27?

mtbr member
    All of the part numbers and details are available on the RockShox service site .pdf link in the thread. If it doesn't show a specific part number for a specific wheel size, they are used in multiple sizes.

Good luck.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 Solo Air Forks- 15mm 2014 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Please note 1 1/8" option and pic.

I didn't think that was going to be available.

WAIT A MINUTE! If you click on the 27.5 option, the straight steerer options grays out! DAMN IT!
    Last edited by reformed roadie; 09-27-2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: new info

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    That's good info. I'm sure there is plenty of frustrated Rev owners wanting to try 650B. Mine fits the smaller volume 650b tires. It's Dual air though, so I doubt the air cartridge threads in to the lowers in the same manner as on the solo air? it's not one of my favored forks so is only a back up any way. Still, I may give it a new lease of life yet.
    Dusty bump.. Anyone try 27.5 Rev lowers on 2011+ 26 Rev Dual Air forks? I have some dual air WC 26 forks that I would love to convert to 27.5 on my TRc..

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    I posted this as an answer to a question over in Shocks/Suspension but thought y'all would like to know.

The parts in the SRAM control list show that there is only one CSU for the Revelation solo air 26 and Revelation 275. That means that the only difference in the fork is the lowers. The rebound and spring assemblies are the same part numbers as well.

Originally, when I talked to RockShox, they said that it would require 2 assemblies and lowers, making it cost prohibitive. I would say that it's reasonable to spend $200 to make your expensive fork work on 275 wheels. Not for everyone, sure, but not a huge expense. As this was my personal fork, I paid a bunch less than that ordering the lowers from my favorite distributor.

I've got full travel (147mm). I've got miles of clearance. Nothing rubs under the crown/tire and full, zero-air compression.

Additional a2c means that my headtube is slacker, which I couldn't be happier about. It was 68 and now it's 66.8 on my 140 carbon stumpy with 275 in the rear.

I have no idea about warranty from SRAM. As far as I know, maybe 3 guys at RockShox know that this works.

So, I am the proud owner of a 2012 World Cup carbon CSU RCT3 Revelation solo air with travel adjust 15mm thru white fork. I'm pretty sure I remember that black lowers are also available.

The dual air CSU appears to be different.

Happy day!

mk
    Just to confirm, you started with a '12 WC Revelation 2P-Air, only swapped the lowers with the 27.5 version, and now you have a full 150mm travel '12 WC 2P-Air 27.5 Revelation?

Was there an increase in the A-C? Or is the only difference in the lowers the height of the arch to allow more clearance for 27.5 tires?

TIA.
    Wanted: Ritchey P-20,21,22,23 in Team colors, 18-inch, '92-99, Ritchey Logic fork (threadless); NEW Rock Shox Judy Decal Sets