dwt
    mtbr member

Red Bull Rampage / Logan Binggeli

Old news but NBC just broadcast this yesterday. I DVR'd it and watched today.

Binggeli was very impressive on his KHS 650b to finish 3rd. To my untrained eyes he should have scored 2nd. He was not mentioned as a factor in the pre-competition intro to the event. Nor was his unique and revolutionary choice of wheel ever mentioned. It was clear that the tweener size was no disadvantage for his tricks, including inverts. Whether it will be an advantage once DH racing starts next season remains to be seen.

One thing I learned: last name pronounced "Binglee." I think we could be hearing more from this guy in the coming season
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Those guys have a style of riding, and terrain choice, of which I am not familiar. I can't even imagine.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Nor was his unique and revolutionary choice of wheel ever mentioned.
    Most people probably didn't notice, especially people watching the Rampage replay on NBC.

bike rider
    I only know him as a DH racer (2011 National Champ and several ProGRT wins). What's in his bag of tricks? Most of us racers are known for whips and stuff but never spinning/flipping and rarely taking hands and feet off.
    Keep the Country country.

usually cranky
    imo he looked the smoothest out there. surely it was mostly him but i bet the bigger wheels made a difference. makes it pretty clear to me 650b will rock for dh.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    imo he looked the smoothest out there. surely it was mostly him but i bet the bigger wheels made a difference. makes it pretty clear to me 650b will rock for dh.
    I think the jumping at Rampage favors 26", but 27.5" didn't appear to handicap Logan. Hard to say whether wheel size had any effect on the free riding. We'll have to wait till 2014 to see if 27.5" will be worse, equal or even better than 26" In DH racing. Logan mat be a factor.

But If Gwin choses a bigger wheel, he'll still beat everybody. But if he goes up to 27.5" or even 29", heads will spin in the mtb industry that's for sure.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

usually cranky
    to me he just looked a little smoother over some of the chunk that held other guys up a bit.