mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Reality of XFusion Slant fork for 650b

This new fork caught my attention last summer when an article was published about both the Fox 34 650b and the Slant. Contacted XFusion in the fall and was told that the Slant with a 10mm spacer would yield 150mm travel and 545mm A-C for use with 650b and should be available Feb/March 2013. Contacted in Feb and was told the Slant wouldn't be available until mid-year 2013. For kicks contacted again in March and was told it would be available mid-April but when I called here's the catch. The version available in mid-April is 26" only which is very confusing since I thought this to be the same fork for both 26" and 650b but just with a 10mm spacer, according to XFusion not the case. Apparently they have a 650b specific Slant targeted for mid year 2013, not sure if it's different lowers or a different crown for the offset.

What's even more confusing is apparently I'm not the only one confused, Universal Cycles has this fork and under the description it states "Wheel Size: 26"/650b " for all 3 models leading me to believe it's similar to the Vengeance, Velvet or Magura TS8. Simply a 26" fork that works for 650b. Heck even articles from Eurobike state that the Slant is "650B convertible". Singletrack Magazine | Eurobike 2012: X-Fusion forks and dropper

Not sure I can wait any longer to pick up my 650b fork, mid-April was OK but not mid summer. Either the sales guy at XFusion does not have his facts straight or they changed their plans and instead of going with a convertible fork are going to release 2 different Slants. Either way I'd find out for sure before ordering one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Bad news. Yeah, mid-summer is too long for waiting. This is more for the next season

screamer
    I too am eagerly awaiting this fork, but I bet they'll release more info very soon at Sea Otter (right down the road for those guys). Heck, I might just stop by the booth & ask them myself... My sense is that they're a small company, and trying to get out a lot of product this year (Trace, X-light shock, SL dropper post, plus the new DH fork). Pretty damn ambitious, so it's not that surprising it's taking a while.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    May 2005
    They keep people guessing for sure. Time to actually update the web site with up to date info IMO. How hard can that be?

What's also a bit disappointing is this fork has no option for high/low speed compression adjustment like the Vengeance, just rebound and lockout.

They also told me there will be a short travel version of this fork with 130mm max travel. Shorter stanchions to save some weight. 26" or 650B or both I have no idea
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post

What's also a bit disappointing is this fork has no option for high/low speed compression adjustment like the Vengeance, just rebound and lockout.
    I remember a thread where someone modded a Marzocchi 44 TST2 so that the lockout became adjustable compression. As I recall they replaced a washer that closed off an orifice with a shim stack.

Wonder if a similar mod could be done with the Slant.
    No moss...

screamer

new reality: slant --> sweep

Looks as if they're rolling out the 27.5 as an entirely new fork, the Sweep.

Reality of XFusion Slant fork for 650b-sweep27.5-910x1024.jpg

Reality of XFusion Slant fork for 650b-sweep_01.jpgReality of XFusion Slant fork for 650b-sweep_02.jpg
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    I wonder if the velvet will continue as a dual purpose fork?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just got my 2013 slant I'm confused they are 160 travel with 10mm extra . Ok I did not no these forks work with a 650 . I'm using a 26inch wheel so can I remove the 10mm extra ?? I'm reading about it having a 10mm shim inside can I simply remove that shim ? Please can anyone post a link to do this if I can. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Here's a email I got from the place I brought the forks . More confused than ever now . Why are these being sold as 160 ? With 10mm that does nothing it just sounds like a mess up by x fusion to me ?? THE EMAIL ....Hi Scott,

The extra clearance for 650b was supposed to be achieved by fitting a travel limiting shim. This was supposed to leave the fork at 160mm length while achieving 150mm of travel. However there is not enough clearance for 650b which is why X-Fusion are producing a dedicated fork for this wheel size. There is no means of lowering the forks axle to crown and leaving the fork at 160mm of travel. Hope that answers your questions.