Thread: A rare Breed

nothing relevant to say

A rare Breed

I take pleasure in coming up with odd configurations for my bikes.
    This week I built up my first 650B CR18 rim, and laced it to one of our fixed gear hubs. 32hole flavor, bolt-on axle. This is not a standard spec hub, so be warned.
    Again, I've taken my Voo-Doo Bokor frame to a new level with this build.

Fixie MTB, front suspension and disc brake up front. I made single speeding even more foolish- I've taken out the coasting ablilty. I know I'm not the first with a MTB fixie, but it is a rare breed of bicycle. The conversion was probably the easiest one I've ever done. Just take what I didn't need off.
    DSCF0401
    DSCF0398

I'd like to get my hands on a Rawland Drakkar and swap it all over.

mtbr member
    Whee, I ride fixed on one of my road bikes, and one of my commuters, but I've never done any trails with one. That'll offer some interesting challenges! Did you read the article about Smoke bikes in a recent issue of BIKE? They build fixed mountain bikes in North Carolina.

Now that I think about it, I did a group ride 2-3 years ago and there was a guy riding a fixed 29er Slingshot with Dirtdrop bars . Quite a set up. The kicker was he was around 5'4", and when he straddled the top tube the wheels came up nearly to his chest. He moved along just fine on the thing, though...

Enjoy your experiment! Let us know where to send the get well soon cards.
    Last edited by SteveF; 11-28-2008 at 06:11 PM.