Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    help with the zip please

Racing Ralph alternative?

Looking for a replacement tyre for my now dead RR hopefully with similar tread pattern, rolling resistance and weight. Any suggestions? Pics and explanation to come when I get home.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Why not another Racing Ralph? You could also try the Nobby Nic as it has the same carcass of the Racing Ralph but with bigger knobs.

mtbr member
    The exc version of the crossmark should work nicely...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Looking for a replacement tyre for my now dead RR hopefully with similar tread pattern, rolling resistance and weight. Any suggestions? Pics and explanation to come when I get home.
    The new tread design Ra Ra 650b is out now and they are better cornering.
    New version of Ro Ro is faster, lighter and smoother riding.
    Neo 2.1 is same size as Ra Ra, bit slower, but corners better for the front.

Dissolved member
    Nobby Nic 2.25 is pretty fast rolling, lightweight, grips mucho better than RaRa.

help with the zip please
    thanks for the replies so far guys. I will be getting another RaRa but was also looking for other suggestions because of durability concerns more than anything else. I am the only one here that runs 650b and I know of no LBS that carries tyres so I will be ordering a couple of new tyres and thought this a good opportunity to try a few different options.

I have been running the light weight versionsof the RaRa on my 26" bikes for years with no problems, no issues with sidewall tears that they seem to be notorious for, never had one "let go" on me cornering. Love the way they roll and also their light weight. But today, this happened.

Riding along some in-nocuous single track, rode up onto the side of a bank to avoid a log on half the trail, popped back off the bank onto flat, clean trail then "bang" went the gun shot. Pulled up and knew immediately I had a dead flat rear wheel. Looked on both sides for what I thought would be an obvious sidewall tear, nothing, then I noticed all of the Stan's over the tread and found a 1cm x 1cm "V" cut into the tyre. Walked back up the trail looking for the glass or piece of metal I must have run over, nothing. Pulled the tyre off and found this in it

Racing Ralph alternative?-inside-blowout.jpg

and just to prove that I'm not playing games and that "log" did actually penetrate my tyre

Racing Ralph alternative?-inside-out-blowout.jpg

Now I can't entirely blame the tyre, I really should have been running them at more than 25 psi and at about 240lbs I really should have laid off those extra serves of christmas pudding but still I was surprised to see it penetrate so easily so I thought I might try something a little more reliable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    B**ger me. Never seen that before. Snakeskin isn't going to help you there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've had the same thing with a different tire.....except instead of wood it was a wrench. A cheap 12mm open end wrench lost on the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    me too emu26....blew my RaRa off JRA a dirt road on boxing day...

I like the tread pattern but not the skimpy construction, wish it had the same carcas as the new 650b NN...

Racing Ralph alternative?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356610477.055745.jpg

mtbr member
    Guys, this is a lightweight racing tire. If you want more durability, the tire will be heavier.

I've found the Nobby Nic to roll and grip well and it still has a reasonable weight.

The White Jeff W
    Blew the sidewalls out on both of my Racing Ralphs. The Snakeskin version on my 29er are older, have more miles on them and are still going strong. Give me a 650B RR with snakeskin!
    No moss...

mtbr member
    It doesn't compete on weight but I find the WTB Wolverine to be a pretty fast rolling tire on my 650b Curtlo. Corners well, too.

jrm
    mtbr member

2.1 Crossmark or Neo

The neo's a nice tire under braking and its been proved durable so far. i have the 9er version of the crossmark and would really like to try the 650b version.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

banned
    Sep 2012

Why not some Vee Rubber Mission 650Bx2.1

they are low profile low rolling resistance and not too bad on the weight... check them out. You can get them on ebay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I started with racing Ralph's then switched to Rocket Ron's. I much happier with these. Traction is better and Corning isn't as Scarry when the tires wear down

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    pacenti neomoto is a good 'un

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Its called a RACING RALPH for a reason...its not a SUPPORT MY CLYDESDALE FAT ASS RALPH....
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Its called a RACING RALPH for a reason...its not a SUPPORT MY CLYDESDALE FAT ASS RALPH....
    HaHa...that's funny! Not very nice.....but funny.

To the OP... there are definitely tougher tires out there, but don't get too excited. I've ruined multiple Neo Moto 2.1' s and 2.3's on pieces of wood like that ( ok, smaller than that one, but still....less dramatic but same result ).

help with the zip please
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Ah come on DeeEight, I've been running them for yers with the same fat arse on my 26ers and never had a problem, mind you I'm sure my fat gut has got bigger over Christmas, maybe that is the problem. Besides, I was racing, my mates

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The casings are paper thin... seriously... the sidewall of an evo casing is basically a business card thickness, adding a little extra for a "snakeskin" or double-defence sidewall really isn't increasing that all that much. The rubber over the tread zone isn't much better, maybe 2mm thick at most in areas you're not involving a tread block. The tires have a lot of potential air volume and very little weight. It should be obvious how that was achieved. I have cut thru the tread blocks and the casing below them on rocks. I have two RaRa 29ers that didn't get more than 25 hours COMBINED usage before the sidewalls/casings got sliced. These are FRAGILE tires.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    For some extra reliability why dont you try the new Performance version, it has a stronger (or at least more tear resistant) 67 tpi casing, vs the 127 tpi of the Evo version.
    Also new for 2013 dual compound , instead of the single ORC compound of the past.

The sidewall is noticeably thicker than the evo version. Weigth of my tire is exacty as advertised 585g and the price is right too - approx 20 eur, 26 usd here the old continent.

I still have to lace my 650b wheels so no riding reports yet - but during the last 2 yrs I raced all of the rockiest courses on a Performance Ralph (rear tire, 26") without a single issue.
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I ran WTB 2.4 Mutanoraptor race tires on all my 26ers, because they hooked up really well, rolled fast and were reasonably light. When I made the switch to 650b, I looked for a tire with similar traits and found the RRs in the 2.25 to ride similar. The point I'm making is, now that WTB is making 650b tires again, they may fit the bill, I'm gonna try them soon.

help with the zip please
    Ausable, I have heard the Performance tires are useless when it's wet, and it seems to be permanently wet in Sydney of late.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
    For some extra reliability why dont you try the new Performance version, it has a stronger (or at least more tear resistant) 67 tpi casing, vs the 127 tpi of the Evo version.
    Also new for 2013 dual compound , instead of the single ORC compound of the past.

The sidewall is noticeably thicker than the evo version. Weigth of my tire is exacty as advertised 585g and the price is right too - approx 20 eur, 26 usd here the old continent.

I still have to lace my 650b wheels so no riding reports yet - but during the last 2 yrs I raced all of the rockiest courses on a Performance Ralph (rear tire, 26") without a single issue.
    So where can you get these such RaRa 650b that you talk about....can you provide a link...or is there a shop here in Oz...
    Last edited by Gripo; 12-29-2012 at 02:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    EMU, I have some Vee Rubber Missions in 2.3 here if you wanna try em, (plus a few other new Vee rubber treds) don't go for the 2.1s as they are Tiny.

They are sealant ready, and dual compound.

How bout you PM or email me through the link in the sig with some details and I'll get a pair headded your way, merry Xmas from a fellow Aussie.
    Defcon Cycles - Brisbane Australia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast