mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Racing Ralph 27.5 Snakeskin version

Anyone know if these are available in the US yet? Listed on Schwalbe's website as available but can't find anywhere else:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racing Ralph 27.5 Snakeskin version-rr.jpg  

mtbr member
    I bought my Schwalbe's from bike-discount. If you buy at least 2 tires it is cheaper than getting them here is the states. Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo PaceStar 650B x 2,25" TL-Ready Faltreifen Sorry just realized these are not snake skin.

The White Jeff W
    Oh boy! Thats the tire Ive been waiting for.
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 04-17-2013 at 05:03 AM.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So I finally got ahold of one of the Snakeskin versions of this tire and it's a very different animal than the other two RR 650b options. Sidewalls are very stout, actually had to set them up with a tube for a couple days to shape the packaging deformities out of the bead/sidewall before it would even mount tubeless but once it did it mounted with zero sealant and held for 3 days with zero loss of air. Added sealant since via the valve core since I'm supposed as it's labeled as a Tubeless Ready tire but the tire itself does not seem to be pourous like the other 2 RR versions. This one is 615g where the Performance version I've tried is 585g. The Performance version has done well on the front but I punctured the rear on only my 2nd ride and had to put a tube in it. The wicked light Pacestar version at 530g must be paper thin. So back to the Snakeskin version, set up tubeless the tire has much less flex than the Performance version, need to run at least 30psi in the performance version for it to have some stability and not burp the tire when cornering hard. Snakeskin version I've run as low as 25psi with zero issues and this is on the rear. It's much more confidence inspiring and is exactly what I wanted in a tire all along: Decent width, fast rolling tire that can handle the rocks and drops at a decent weight with decent traction. Rode in the mud (in MA we've gotten 10" of rain in the past three weeks) and the traction was fine for me, not a mud tire but I had no problem climbing on the wet rocks/roots with mud on the tire, much better than I expected. Two Thumbs Up.

mtbr member
    Nice write-up, thanks. I have the non-SS 650b 2.25 RaRa, only tried it once and burped it within 30 seconds on a fast rocky trail. Probably didn't have the pressure high enough. Anyway, looking forward to trying one in SS. I see they're not out on bike-discount yet.

mtbr member
    I have one
    it took a couple of days with a tube in it before I could get it to seat up tubeless on WTB i23 rim
    before that it just seemed like the beads were too loose.
    very fast rolling, decent volume, slightly round profile, short knobs..

mtbr member
    WHERE OH WHERE are you finding snakeskin Racing Ralphs? 3 years I've been waiting for this tire!

mtbr member
    My LBS, for starters...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph Tire 27.5/650bx2.25 SnakeSkin Tubeless Ready Folding Pacestar - AEBike.com

Just ordered mine, hoping this will end the search for the perfect rear tire for my trc

mtbr member

Lucky you, Roadie. My LBS no habla 650b, or anything tire related that doesn't have a big red S on it.

Thanks bcramlet!

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Lucky you, Roadie. My LBS no habla 650b, or anything tire related that doesn't have a big red S on it.

Thanks bcramlet!
    They have been taken over via $$$$$$$$$$$$ but SpEd......that's a shame. I would try ProBikeSupply......they have the best prices and they Hablar 650B and 27.5

The White Jeff W
    Last year I put Racing Ralph's on my 29er and my 650B bike about the same time. The 29er got the snakeskin version, the 650B's obviously were not. The 29er tires are still going strong, the 650B's both had sidewall gashes that made them unusable.

I wont use a Schwalbe tire that isnt snakeskin because of this. I also like the firmer feel of the snakeskin casing. I can run lower pressures without getting squirmy.
    No moss...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Last year I put Racing Ralph's on my 29er and my 650B bike about the same time. The 29er got the snakeskin version, the 650B's obviously were not. The 29er tires are still going strong, the 650B's both had sidewall gashes that made them unusable.

I wont use a Schwalbe tire that isnt snakeskin because of this. I also like the firmer feel of the snakeskin casing. I can run lower pressures without getting squirmy.
    I came to this same conclusion a couple years ago.

mtbr member
    As a rule, unless you are riding seriously buff trails all the time, Snake Skin, EXO, Hardskin, whatever, is a good idea...those grams you save with standard sidewalls aren't going to help when you are stranded in the middle of the woods with a FUBAR tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just a heads up, recieved my tire today from Aebikes and its a plain old pacestar compound, not snakeskin. To good to be true i guess

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    So I finally got ahold of one of the Snakeskin versions of this tire and it's a very different animal than the other two RR 650b options. Sidewalls are very stout, actually had to set them up with a tube for a couple days to shape the packaging deformities out of the bead/sidewall before it would even mount tubeless but once it did it mounted with zero sealant and held for 3 days with zero loss of air. Added sealant since via the valve core since I'm supposed as it's labeled as a Tubeless Ready tire but the tire itself does not seem to be pourous like the other 2 RR versions. This one is 615g where the Performance version I've tried is 585g. The Performance version has done well on the front but I punctured the rear on only my 2nd ride and had to put a tube in it. The wicked light Pacestar version at 530g must be paper thin. So back to the Snakeskin version, set up tubeless the tire has much less flex than the Performance version, need to run at least 30psi in the performance version for it to have some stability and not burp the tire when cornering hard. Snakeskin version I've run as low as 25psi with zero issues and this is on the rear. It's much more confidence inspiring and is exactly what I wanted in a tire all along: Decent width, fast rolling tire that can handle the rocks and drops at a decent weight with decent traction. Rode in the mud (in MA we've gotten 10" of rain in the past three weeks) and the traction was fine for me, not a mud tire but I had no problem climbing on the wet rocks/roots with mud on the tire, much better than I expected. Two Thumbs Up.
    So, where did you find the snake skin version? I've checked all the usual online sellers and can't find them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    So, where did you find the snake skin version? I've checked all the usual online sellers and can't find them.
    You can order them direct from Schwalbe.
    Racing Ralph HS 425 | Schwalbe North America

mtbr member
    Thanks thor.... there they are.

Hmmmm. I think I'll wait 'til Universal or one of the other e-tailers have them for something less than 90 bones! Ouch!

mtbr member
    Bikebox, the Australian distributor for Schwalbe, organized a custom production run of Racing Ralph 27.5" Snakeskin as there's definitely a need for it! Other countries e.g. South Africa are also making tires from that run available.

I've fitted one to the rear of the Mojo HDR 650b to see how it goes.

Racing Ralph 650b 27.5" Snakeskin Review

Racing Ralph 27.5 Snakeskin version-schwalbe-racing-ralph-650b-275-snakeskin-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So follow up review on this tire from my original review 3 weeks ago. Still holding air like a champ (setup tubeless on a LB carbon rim) and has handled a dozen tough rides. Doesn't lose air when sitting like the one on the front (performance version) and the added stiffness is very welcome. Performance version will roll with anything less than 28psi, was running 32psi when I had a Performance version on the rear, I run the SS version 25-26psi. To me this is the ideal rear tire, front is great when on longer/less tech trails and OK when the rougher trails are dry but this summer's proving to be wet quite often here in MA so I'm really starting to consider putting a HD or Trail Taker on the front soon, harsh wash out yesterday at the Trail of Tears may have finally confirmed that thinking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    Great tip... thanks Westin!

mtbr member
    Follow up on the SS RaRalph. About 6 weeks in, running one on a Flow rim in the rear, and it's been good as far as fitting my converted 26er w/ max possible volume, and allowing pressures in the 27-28 psi range without trouble in rocky terrain, but I have gotten one sharp rock puncture that wouldn't seal and had to be repaired with a patch, and all the side lugs are getting seriously undermined and I expect they'll start pealing off altogether in the next couple weeks.
    I'm probably expecting the impossible from a tire, ie. all mountain grip and reliability in aggressive rocky conditions from a 2.25 short lug tire with the word "Race" in the name.

For the intended applications I'd say it's a solid winner.

But for my applications, I'll probably revert back to a Neo Moto 2.1 since the RaRa doesn't really seem much if any more puncture resistant, and the tread life was MUUUUCH better on the Neo. Hopefully I can nurse this tire along until the new Panaracer tubeless ready version of the Neo, or the new Nevegal-X Pro is available.... or some other white unicorn tire hits the shelves.