Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

race-ish carbon 650b Full Sus?

Who is going to be making a light carbon race bike/endurance race 650b for 2013?
    I hear Cannondale shelved the 2013 650b scalpel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would love to see a 650b Blur XC or Mach 4. Probably dreaming though

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    I would love to see a 650b Blur XC or Mach 4. Probably dreaming though
    You can fit 650b on the existing Blur XC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not on my old aluminum Blur XC, very little tire clearance. Plus I don't really like the idea of buying a bike with the geometry I want, and then changing it with bigger wheels. To each their own though

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Heres your dream come true...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails race-ish carbon 650b Full Sus?-scblur-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Converted?

Converted or dedicated?
    My list for what a bike must have
    1.) lightweight
    2.) carbon
    3.) dedicated frame and fork for 650b- not a hack or a conversion
    4.) low bb
    5.) racing angles and short chain stays
    Can't really tell what that is? A Santa Cruz?
    Medium Height Boy?

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Heres your dream come true...

mtbr member
    take a look at this might fit the bill? http://forums.mtbr.com/650b/new-khs-...ly-767235.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Khs

Not carbon and not nearly Gucci enough (though lots of Gucci parts on it).

Quote Originally Posted by carverboy View Post
    take a look at this might fit the bill? http://forums.mtbr.com/650b/new-khs-...ly-767235.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsie_cat View Post
    Who is going to be making a light carbon race bike/endurance race 650b for 2013?
    I hear Cannondale shelved the 2013 650b scalpel.
    Been running a 650b'd 2012 Scalpel all year long. Works great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I believe you- but I am not spending my $ on a hack.
    I want dedicated.
    If you think your 650b modified scalpel rides nice, can you even imagine how nice one with proper angles, fork rake, bob height and clearances would ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It's a Blur xc carbon, it is converted to 650b, but far from a hack job. The bike is carbon, it's light (22.5 lbs) has a low bb and kicks a$$, never had one problem with it being converted.
    Still some people won't be convinced, until they ride it.
    Although I never had a problem with the fork, I would like to try the dedicated Fox 650b fork

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Unfortunately there is no dedicated Fox fork- their 650b forks are 140 and 160mm- far from race forks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I believe you- but I am not spending my $ on a hack.
    I want dedicated.
    If you think your 650b modified scalpel rides nice, can you even imagine how nice one with proper angles, fork rake, bob height and clearances would ride?
    I'm guessing about the same? Especially since one of the reasons for 650b is that you don't have to mongoloid up the geometry just to get it to ride like a bike. HTA comes down to rider preference, same with the BB height. I rode my local testing ground the other day and I the extra 0.5" of clearance on my rush, already a very low bike, was phenomenally welcome. If you ride Cali Cruisers on your 5" suspension bike, then yeah, go for the scraper, but having a high BB is not a bad thing in many places. Clearance is really only a problem if you absolutely need to ride in thick mud regularly, and you choose a bike with a bridge setup.

tl;dr while you wait for your special bike, I'll be riding my rush with 650b wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I don't run crazy tires or anything. I just don't want a bike where tires barely fit.
    High bb is an issue- bikes feel unstable at low speed or track stand with high bb in my opinion.
    If your center of gravity feels high in technical situations it throws everything off.
    I will gladly wait for someone to make a dedicated bike. Or wait until Specialized comes out with their own that is actually 27.5 instead of 27.19!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Unfortunately there is no dedicated Fox fork- their 650b forks are 140 and 160mm- far from race forks.
    RockShox makes a 100mm Revelation...
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't run crazy tires or anything. I just don't want a bike where tires barely fit.
    High bb is an issue- bikes feel unstable at low speed or track stand with high bb in my opinion.
    If your center of gravity feels high in technical situations it throws everything off.
    I will gladly wait for someone to make a dedicated bike. Or wait until Specialized comes out with their own that is actually 27.5 instead of 27.19!
    Interesting. The only time I notice any change in handling with regards to BB height is in fast, sweeping corners, where the bike leans. Anything short of FAST makes no difference to me. Old trials riders would actually pick the M800 beast of the east, with a 13.25" BB height, over comparable hardtails which should have been the same strength.

I'll concede the concern over tires though. I don't know if nobby nics will fit on my bike and that sucks, but the pacentis are really great tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    revalation is not a race fork

mtbr member
    Hey Bootsie-troll, can you tell us "conversion hacks" how much change to stock geometry a set of 650B wheels makes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    How am I a troll. Refer back to original post made by me.
    I asked who is making a light carbon race-ish bike for 2013.
    It was all of you that started suggesting conversion bikes.
    I was only explaining my reasons as to why I don't want a converted bike.
    A conversion will for sure change bb height, might not change actual angles, different size wheel will likely require different fork rake for ideal handling.
    I never said anything like conversions ride poorly.
    I just said that I would not be spending my money on a conversion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    revalation is not a race fork
    Define race fork. If your definition is that it has a "Fox" sticker and costs $1100, then no, it is not a race fork.
    Sure, the Revelation may not be a 3.0 lb fork, but it exists specifically for 650b and has 100mm of travel. Look into the XFusion fork for a lighter alternative.
    I get what you're looking for, though. I have been riding my converted Flux and it's fun but it doesn't handle as effortlessly as my 650b-dedicated B-side. Somewhat apples and oranges, but I think that 1/2" - 3/4" difference is noticeable.
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Intense Carbine 27.5 looks like a possible option. It's the Carbine 26er frame, but the dropouts are replaced with ones that maintain the geometry and BB height with the 650b wheels and effectively lengthen the chainstays a bit to provide more tire clearance.

With 140mm travel it's more of a trail bike than XC race bike, but the frame w/shock only weighs 5.5 lbs. and I personally would have no problem racing it, especially for endurance stuff.

Intense Tracer 27.5 Prototype 650b and Carbine 27.5 2012 - Sick Lines – mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource

mtbr member
    Serious question.

What happens to the geometry of a 26" bike when you go to 650b wheels? How would this compare to a frame designd for 650b wheels from the start? Certainly the BB height increases by 1/2 the wheel diameter and on dedicated 650b frame the BB could remain the same. Other than for clearance why would you use a 650b fork on a 26" frame. So If you have a 26" fork on 26" frame and you have clearance for 650b wheels what do you give up? BB slightly, but is that it. Is that the only change between a proper 650b frame and 26" frame runnng 650b wheels?
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Serious question.

What happens to the geometry of a 26" bike when you go to 650b wheels? How would this compare to a frame designd for 650b wheels from the start? Certainly the BB height increases by 1/2 the wheel diameter and on dedicated 650b frame the BB could remain the same. Other than for clearance why would you use a 650b fork on a 26" frame. So If you have a 26" fork on 26" frame and you have clearance for 650b wheels what do you give up? BB slightly, but is that it. Is that the only change between a proper 650b frame and 26" frame runnng 650b wheels?
    I think your fork trail also changes a bit, but not enough to be noticeable by most riders.

For some bikes, the slightly higher BB may be desirable. For example, the Blur XCc and Blur TRc have pretty low BBs and if you ride rough terrain a get a lot of pedal strikes a slightly higher BB might be an improvement for you. Others may prefer to keep the lower BB for their terrain and riding style.

mtbr member
    Bootsie,, troll or not, don't smack the hacks that are giving you real information. Remember we are actually riding what you are speculating about. Take it or wait, it's good information. To date the SantaCruz TRc is the best conversion for what you are describing due to its low initial BB.@ 13.2"
    Last edited by Morpheous; 08-10-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    The Intense Carbine 27.5 looks like a possible option. It's the Carbine 26er frame, but the dropouts are replaced with ones that maintain the geometry and BB height with the 650b wheels and effectively lengthen the chainstays a bit to provide more tire clearance.

With 140mm travel it's more of a trail bike than XC race bike, but the frame w/shock only weighs 5.5 lbs. and I personally would have no problem racing it, especially for endurance stuff.

Intense Tracer 27.5 Prototype 650b and Carbine 27.5 2012 - Sick Lines mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource
    This.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast