mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. R/shox Psylo XC 650b compatible

I have seen some 650b's outfitted with Psylo's, ther is 1 on ebay atm, pretty cheap so far, a good alternative?
    29er you just know when ur ready!!!!

mtbr member
    Yes if the price is right. Plenty of clearance with the Psylo.

mtbr member
    Just order up a brand new Velour from your local bikeshop! Only $300. Much Stiffer, lighter, & 650b compatible @ 120mm - 70mm travel option. Let me know if you have any questions!

http://www.x-fusion-shox.com/forks/2010%20velour

John Valera
    USA Sale/Service Mgr.
    X-Fusion-Shox
    jvalera@x-fusion-shox.com
    408-866-0188
    X-FUSION-SHOX
    USA Sales & Service Mgr.

Pain is only temporary but Glory is FOREVER!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would steer clear of the Psylo. They never worked all that well, and they were pretty noodly, especially above 100mm of travel.

nothing relevant to say
    I second the X-Fusion for a quality, price-point fork.

mtbr member
    The X-Fusions are priced well.

But if the OP is on a "used" budget - a Psylo at the right price - isn't all that bad of an option to pursue.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    They're hardly noodles, especially if you have the Tullio 20mm axle version. I'd rather my Psylo Race with 20mm than any of X-Fusion's open dropout Velvets and Velours. Also they have the absolute most tire clearance of any single-crown fork in their weight/travel class in the past decade (they were designed to fit 26 x 2.7s) and require absolutely zero modifications to run NeoMoto or Nevegal 2.35s in them. My Psylo Race was 4 pounds including the axle, has 125mm of beautifully smooth Dual-Air spring travel, adjustable rebound damping, climb-it control compression damping adjustment, and looks beautiful in gold.

The only problems the forks ever had was premature bushing wear in the first model year and that was fixed with a retro-fit upgrade that was standard on later production years. The U-Turn Psylo SL with the Tullio dropouts is probably the best one to look for used as its from the post-upgrade production of the fork and can be quickly adjusted from 80 to 125mm travel. Non U-turn forks use the now ubiquious All-Travel spacers inside the spring side leg. You add/change/remove the spacers to alter the fork travel. Its a five minute job once you know how but not something you'd do on the side of the trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sorry, but I have to disagree. Even with the 20mm axle, when running at 125mm it was just a flexy bastard, with the fork simply twisting. Also, once the trail got steep and fast, the damping wasn't very good.

The thing I did like it for was street, as it was pretty light, and could a good sized drop without problem.

I've never had any twisting problems and I've run mine exclusively with a 650B, which puts more of a torsional load onto the fork than a 26er would. I've also never had any problem with the damping not being up to the task of fast riding. Which model (specifically) psylo did you have ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've owned both the hydrocoil and pure damped models. If you ride buff trails, then I could see note having an issue with the stiffness or damping of the fork, but rocky east coast riding definitely brings the short coming of the Pyslo to the surface very quickly.

I ride in the rocky east coast. I think you're just delusional.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I ride in the rocky east coast. I think you're just delusional.
    Nice personal attack. I guess I shouldn't really expect much more from you.

bonked
    Slap fight!
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Here's my take on this - maybe it'll settle things down.

Psylo - decent fork for it's time - and now a good value for someone who wants to give 650b a go but doesn't want to spend $300.00 on a brand new fork.

Psylo isn't quite up to par with current offferings - but if it isn't to knackered it'll get the job done just fine.

How's that guys?

Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Nice personal attack. I guess I shouldn't really expect much more from you.
    And I've never expected more than badly opinionated and generally always negative advice from you on any subject on here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Huh, I never knew you had so much distaste for me. I'll take it as a compliment.

My sincere apologies for daring to have an opinion other than yours.

www.derbyrims.com
    To the OP... as I remember (which has it's gaps!) back when the Psylo was a new model in 2001 or so it was a very good innovative fork with the new "u-turn" feature. The Rockshox Psylo was competing directly with the leading heavy duty Marzocchi Z1 coil forks and was a heavier duty alternative to the lighter weight Rockshox Judy forks. Fox had just introduced the Float, and Vanilla, and travel-adjust Talas forks which set a higher standard in damping than the other forks available, making the Psylo a middle level quality fork in the market but still having the unique u-turn coil feature.

Buying used today I'd guess that the Psylo wouldn't be worth more than $50 - $75 in great used condition.

Another better used fork option than the Psylo for 650b would be to look for a used Manitou Nixon or Sherman coil fork with 95 to 145mm "RWDT" (Rapid Wind Down Travel Manitou 's version of u-turn). The Nixon's have better quality damping and come in quick release or 20mm axle. And there were fixed travel and air spring models also. These have more 650b tire clearance than the 650b specific White Bros fork. You should be able to find a used Nixon in great condition for about $100 or less. The Sherman was a heavier duty 20mm axle fork with the same internals as the Nixon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would think anyone going 650b would be doing so for a performance upgrade. What are your current suspension experience's ? If you have spent time on entry level suspension the Psylo might be fine. I had a Psylo XC in 2005 and going to a Z1 was a big improvement. A freind still has a Psylo SL but it is a leaky mess.

Nixon's aren't exactly light forks though.