mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Questions before buying 2012 RL2 Velvet non DLA

A bit confusing + paralysis by analysis, so I better ask before buying.

The RL2 Velvet (non DLA) in 15mm t/a and taper steer tube can be adjusted internally by moving the pin and run at 120mm with a 650b even though X-Fusion may say "no" and even though it's not their 650b fork with pre-installed 10mm spacer.

From http://forums.mtbr.com/650b/q-about-...et-774841.html is where I'm coming up with this.

My head hurts. Thanks.
    Last edited by danK; 08-30-2012 at 10:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post
    A bit confusing + paralysis by analysis, so I better ask before buying.

The RL2 Velvet (non DLA) in 15mm t/a and taper steer tube can be adjusted internally by moving the pin and run at 120mm with a 650b even though X-Fusion may say "no" and even though it's not their 650b fork with pre-installed 10mm spacer.

From http://forums.mtbr.com/650b/q-about-...et-774841.html is where I'm coming up with this.

My head hurts. Thanks.
    For the 2012 x fusion velvet, the travel can be internally adjusted to 100,120, or 140mm. If you want to use it for 650b, x fusion says you will need to install a 10mm travel reducer. The reducer reduces the travel on the compression stroke only. It's only purpose is to limit the compression so that the top of the tire does not contact the crown. So basically, when the travel reducer is installed, the axle to crown measurement will not change but the travel will be reduced because you won't be able to compress the fork completely. So for example, if you set the fork at 140mm with the travel reducer installed, the fork will still show 140 mm of stanchion, but you will not be able to compress the fork all the way down so really the fork only has 130mm travel.
    All the non-DLA forks can get the travel reducer installed but for 2012 it has to be done by x-fusion( you send them the fork, they charge you like 15 bucks and they'll install the reducer for you. You can ask them to change the travel for you too if you want)

The DLA version uses a totally different damper and/or spring and is not compatible with the travel reducer so x fusion says the DLA fork is NOT 650b compatible.

Other forum members have reported that there is no crown contact at full compression even without the travel reducer.

Hope that helps