mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Pursuing 27.5/650b, parts availability

Backstory: Rode mountain bikes alot as a kid, up until early teens. The bike I had got old and other interests took over, but I'm now looking to pick this up.

It feels like I picked the worst time to start riding. It's almost fall, bikes are all sold out and on top of it all there are THREE wheel sizes to pick from. I'm 6 feet tall, weighing in at 180 lbs in good shape and looking to do mostly trail riding. Ideally I'd like an FS, but thinking it's better to start with a HT if I want a better progression as a rider.

Looking at pictures, reviews and judging from the type of riding I want to do, 27.5 is probably the choice for me. I'd pursue this in a heartbeat, if only I could be sure of the availability for parts in the future. I'd be pissed if I ended up buying a 27.5", and then realizing the replacement parts are scarce, and much more expensive than equal 29er, or maybe 26er.

Looking at manufacturers, like Giant, they seem pretty sure 27.5 is the new deal, but judging from bashings on various forums and comments I am unsure.

So, what do you think for the future of 27.5 parts? Will they will be just as available and equal price wise as 26 and 29 parts?

mtbr member
    Rims and tires are the only parts that differ. Tires and rims have been available for years. Get what you want I see no problem.
    09 Ventana El Bastardo 650b
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    Don't worry about having trouble finding replacement parts, a lot of people think 27.5 will be more dominant that 26 in the near future.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It almost looks like 27.5 will be the new standard and 26" and 29" will be options. I heard even some companies are offering discounts on 26" parts.
    We Ride In God's Country!

Uncle
    If you want in on the cheap, start with a used 26" FS bike: Should be lots of topnotch used 26FS bikes out there, especially for a 6'-er like you (and me). You can learn a lot about your bike preferences while riding 26" wheels, and then make a larger but sound investment down the road. As well, the 650b stuff will likely get a bit cheaper after the first few waves of gear come through; As well, the used market will grow by then too.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ubergn0men View Post
    Ideally I'd like an FS, but thinking it's better to start with a HT if I want a better progression as a rider.
    While this is conventional wisdom, it is false. Buy the type of bike you want unless you are limited by budget.

27.5" parts will be around. You may be limited initially if you need an emergency replacement at a small shop while on the road.

This is only a bad time to buy if you want certain bikes that are in high demand. It is also a good time to find a good deal on a closeout.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein