Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

PSA: LB 650b X-Wide rim

Was talking to Nancy over email about extra wide 650b rims and she sent this: $175/ea @ 400g, +/- 15g

PSA: LB 650b X-Wide rim-new-650b-hookless-35w-25d.jpg
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    Looks sweet! The only reason for me to get these over the Derby's would be price, will have to see how these compare

mtbr member
    Looks very similar to the new Roval rim. Me likey...may have to build a set up!

LyN
    mtbr member
    Is this rim already available to buy?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    They are ready to order, I just got an invoice to order. Disappointed in the spokes though. The Pillar 1420 bladed spokes are $1.60 per spoke. I already have my new 40T Hope Hubs. Does this price seem excessive? Anything close for a lower price to recommend?

Dissolved member
    These do not seem to have the UST-like bead locks like the Derby rims, and their rim walls are thinner, too. I am looking forward to seeing ride reports but I am quite sure they are never going to replace my precious Derbys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    They are ready to order, I just got an invoice to order. Disappointed in the spokes though. The Pillar 1420 bladed spokes are $1.60 per spoke. I already have my new 40T Hope Hubs. Does this price seem excessive? Anything close for a lower price to recommend?
    I ordered a set and went with the pilars. Cost wise they $1.60 is very reasonable for a bladed black ano spoke thats competitive weight and strength wise to the revos. I'll be pairing them up with a set of EVO2s as well. I havent heard anything about a new tooth configuration for the rear hub, is this a new model? replacing the 24T? or a special order?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    These do not seem to have the UST-like bead locks like the Derby rims, and their rim walls are thinner, too. I am looking forward to seeing ride reports but I am quite sure they are never going to replace my precious Derbys.
    Derby's rims look good but the width is a bit too extreme for my taste...they seem to square off the tire a bit much for the riding I do. I was on the fence with the Rovals or a set of the iplay 30mm hooked rim. When these Roval clones came out in a not so extreme width I took the plung.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000 View Post
    I'll be pairing them up with a set of EVO2s as well. I havent heard anything about a new tooth configuration for the rear hub, is this a new model? replacing the 24T? or a special order?
    They are a replacement of the old model and came out in October iirc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Did your order come with nipples as well?

I ordered a set and went with the pilars. Cost wise they $1.60 is very reasonable for a bladed black ano spoke thats competitive weight and strength wise to the revos. I'll be pairing them up with a set of EVO2s as well. I havent heard anything about a new tooth configuration for the rear hub, is this a new model? replacing the 24T? or a special order?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

hooked

If you're looking for a hooked rims, I got a set of the iplay 35mm hooked rims (mounted to Novetec hubs with Sapim CX-Delta spokes). I couldn't be happier. Peter was very professional and the wheels were flawlessly built. I thought my Bronson was good before, but with these wheels it feels like an even better bike. Totally recommend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PSA: LB 650b X-Wide rim-img_6054.jpg  

PSA: LB 650b X-Wide rim-ip-rm735c-27.5er-am-rim-geometry.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Was talking to Nancy over email about extra wide 650b rims and she sent this: $175/ea @ 400g, +/- 15g

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new 650B hookless-35W-25D.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	850416
    I can't find them on the LB website to order them. Do you have to email her to get some?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gfowkes View Post
    If you're looking for a hooked rims, I got a set of the iplay 35mm hooked rims (mounted to Novetec hubs with Sapim CX-Delta spokes). I couldn't be happier. Peter was very professional and the wheels were flawlessly built. I thought my Bronson was good before, but with these wheels it feels like an even better bike. Totally recommend.
    How much including shipping?

mtbr member
    If something can be perfectly excessive, then I agree entirely!
    Seriously though, my fears about overly square tires on the Derby's were unfounded, and I strongly disagree with any conjecture about the Derby rim width being excessive. Game changing? Yes.
    After riding mine for a couple months now, and recently spending some time riding my ti hardtail with Stan's 355 650b, and a brand new Ripley 29er with Arch EX's, I'm reminded of how completely awesome the Derby's are .... mainly because of that wide profile and the grip and cushioning it brings to the table... but they're also smooth-riding, light, and stiff stiff stiff.....
    Going in, I had concerns about squared off tires, but it's not an issue with Neo Moto, Nevegal 2.35, and Mavic Crossroc Roams I've ridden on them.

mtbr member
    I'm glad you've had such a great experience but for me (again my preference) I prefer a more slightly rounded profile and a bit more side wall protection. I personally don't think the current batch of tires that I like are suited for the 40mm width unless I were to switch to a bigger tire. I rode some Gordos and P35s and loved the ride just hated the weight, I'm looking forward to these as a compromise between a know (35mm width) and an unknown (hookless).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Derby's rims look good but the width is a bit too extreme for my taste...they seem to square off the tire a bit much for the riding I do. I was on the fence with the Rovals or a set of the iplay 30mm hooked rim. When these Roval clones came out in a not so extreme width I took the plung.
    The inner width between the Derby and the rim in the OP is 4mm.....or 2mm per side. I would be curious to see tire measurements of identical tires mounted on the two rims. I doubt you will see any difference in tire footprint or shape. The Derby rim should theoretically build up "stiffer" with the much deeper rim profile.

mtbr member
    The rim width and tire profile work together. So some tires might be fine on a particularly wide rim and others might not. You have to look at specific pairings.

I've used tires on really wide rims that changed their profile enough that handling was compromised like Ranjm is talking about. YMMV - it's just worth being aware of - not necessarily a deal breaker.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    The inner width between the Derby and the rim in the OP is 4mm.....or 2mm per side. I would be curious to see tire measurements of identical tires mounted on the two rims. I doubt you will see any difference in tire footprint or shape. The Derby rim should theoretically build up "stiffer" with the much deeper rim profile.
    I'm looking forward to finding out...

mtbr member
    Vik...concur 100%

mtbr member
    I assume no issues setting these rims up tubeless with Stan's sealant?

What about corrosion issues between the spoke nipples and the rim? Do you guys use brass or AL nipples with carbon?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

What about corrosion issues between the spoke nipples and the rim? Do you guys use brass or AL nipples with carbon?
    I've used both and never had a problem on carbon rims.

mtbr member

Will be using ano alloy nips with stan's tape. I quit using stan's liquid a few years ago, been using caffe latex with great success. I have a local euro brand non-corrosive product that I'm probably going to give a try as well.

mtbr member
    I can't find them on the LB website to order them. Do you have to email her to get some?
    Yeah, email her.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    I'm still tossing around these vs their 23mm internal width ones in my head...

Weight isn't too much of an issue at 400g for these, but the tire size commitment is. I'm running Minion DHF/DHR2, 2.52.3 on my 29er version of the LB "Wider" (23mm) rim and getting fantastic results on a Tallboy LTc. But this 650b conversion project of my Blur LTc to a lightweight long dist trail bike is tire size limited. And if I go to the 30mm internal width rim, I'm afraid I might be committed to a large enough tire that rubbing will become an issue.

DAMNED 1st world problems!

BTW, anyone know if a set of Fox 32 650b lowers will bolt right onto a 26 set of uppers w/o internal changes? It looks like they just extended the dropouts...?
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I'm still tossing around these vs their 23mm internal width ones in my head...

Weight isn't too much of an issue at 400g for these, but the tire size commitment is. I'm running Minion DHF/DHR2, 2.52.3 on my 29er version of the LB "Wider" (23mm) rim and getting fantastic results on a Tallboy LTc. But this 650b conversion project of my Blur LTc to a lightweight long dist trail bike is tire size limited. And if I go to the 30mm internal width rim, I'm afraid I might be committed to a large enough tire that rubbing will become an issue.

DAMNED 1st world problems!

BTW, anyone know if a set of Fox 32 650b lowers will bolt right onto a 26 set of uppers w/o internal changes? It looks like they just extended the dropouts...?
    That's the beauty of wide rims. A narrower tire becomes a high volume tire. You can run a 2.25 like a 2.4. You get large volume without the weight penalty.

I'd be very interested on the 650b 32 lower question as well.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast