mtbr member
    May 2007

Prophet 650b rear 29 front?

Hey Guys,
    I want to do something with my prophet... now that i have my Mamasita, my prophet has been collecting dust. Every now and then I miss the full squish. My question is: should I turn my prophet into a 69er or should I do a 650b in the rear with the 29" wheel up front? I currently have Crossmax SLs on it now and was wondering if I went with the Velocity Blunt wheelset, would I be dissappointed after riding Crossmaxs for about 2 years now? I know they will not be as stiff, but my concern is durability. I have not had to do anything to the Crossmaxs, which has been awesome... I do catch a little air whenever I can, but nothing too major. My thoughts are to find some one that could build a set of wheels with the 29" up front and a 650b in the rear OR I could leave the Crossmax in the rear and just buy a front 29er Crossmax. It would probably look funny with a black rim in front and a silver in the rear though....

Anyways, taking all that into consideration, Who would you guys get to build an odd wheelset like this? I know that you can get the Blunt 29er wheelsets on ebay for cheap (about $250 give or take)... I am not sure if they ever have the 650b sets on there? I know I contacted one of the well respected wheel builders and I was looking at close to $700 for the 29er Blunts with Hope hubs. I am really wanting to keep costs down, just in case I do not like the new Prophet orientation, if you know what I mean. Sorry for the long drawn out perdicament, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member

I plan to do the same...

I just bought a Prophet frame and will be running 650B rear and 29er front. I ordered the wheels (Blunt rims w/ XT hubs) from eBikeStop. Since this is experimental I didn't want to spring for expensive wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boudy
    I just bought a Prophet frame and will be running 650B rear and 29er front. I ordered the wheels (Blunt rims w/ XT hubs) from eBikeStop. Since this is experimental I didn't want to spring for expensive wheels.

If you don't mind me asking... Did you have to do a custom order and what did it cost?

mtbr member

Are you referring to the wheels?

The wheels appear to be a "standard" offering at eBikeStop. Not sure if they are "off the shelf" or built on demand. They're by Quality Wheelhouse and ship within a few days of ordering.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Are there any other wheelsets I should be considering at the below $300 pricepoint?

mtbr member
    Why would you want a 29" front wheel? Reap the benefits of 650b on both ends.... I"m heading out on a dual 650b Prophet in a few minutes, as a matter of fact!

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice
    Why would you want a 29" front wheel? Reap the benefits of 650b on both ends.... I"m heading out on a dual 650b Prophet in a few minutes, as a matter of fact!

Amen brutha! Mickey, be sure to post some pics of the bike in action!

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    Amen brutha! Mickey, be sure to post some pics of the bike in action!

Cheers,

KP

I haven't trained the camera well enough to take pictures of me without my assistance... Prophet frames are cool. I used to have it as a short-course DH bike... Now it's a 26lb xc rocket!

mtbr member
    well post up some "bike standing next to tree" pics at least will ya!

I too would do a dual 650b set up with the Prophet rather than 650b/29er.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    well post up some "bike standing next to tree" pics at least will ya!

I too would do a dual 650b set up with the Prophet rather than 650b/29er.
    Can you tell me why? I am not quite understanding why you would not want the 29" wheel up front?

And BTW, I presume there is no problem running the 650b in the rear with the neo-moto? ARe there Any mods that I will have to do?

mtbr member
    I wouldn't want a 29/27.5 prophet for about a million reasons;

1. I'd never want a 29" front wheel at all, at least not with a suspension fork.
    2. The prophet is already plenty slack
    3. 650b is the perfect wheelsize for aggressive riding on longtravel lightweight bikes.

A 700c front wheel is just going to be heavier, flexier and weaker, and you will either have to run less travel in the fork, or have a very, very slack headangle...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    When you convert a prophet to a 650b in the rear, can you run it both XC and FR positions? and which one is more preferable if so? I have tried the FR position several times on my prophet (w/ 26" wheels) and I like the way it feels, but always switch back, because of the lower BB, it is just enough that I clip a lot of stuff on the trail.
    Last edited by shutterbug67; 12-08-2008 at 10:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice
    I haven't trained the camera well enough to take pictures of me without my assistance... Prophet frames are cool. I used to have it as a short-course DH bike... Now it's a 26lb xc rocket!
    SuspectDevice, what components did you change out to get it to 26lbs? I just weighed my 29" front /650b rear Prophet. It came in at 29lbs.