Thread: Project 2 Fork

mtbr member
    May 2007

Project 2 Fork

Does anyone have experience of running a Kona Project 2 with a 29er wheel in it? Will a decent tyre fit in? Thought I'd ask first before I bought one.

'Calm Down'
    Which one are you looking at? I think they make them in 410mm, 440mm, & 465mm axel to crown. The 440mm and 465mm will fit whatever tire you want. Not sure about the 410mm, but I don't think it will fit some of the larger 29er tires out there. Maybe shoot Bikeman.com a note, I know they sell a lot of Project 2 forks.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by clump
    Does anyone have experience of running a Kona Project 2 with a 29er wheel in it? Will a decent tyre fit in? Thought I'd ask first before I bought one.
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne
    Which one are you looking at? I think they make them in 410mm, 440mm, & 465mm axel to crown. The 440mm and 465mm will fit whatever tire you want. Not sure about the 410mm, but I don't think it will fit some of the larger 29er tires out there. Maybe shoot Bikeman.com a note, I know they sell a lot of Project 2 forks.

jw
    It's not that simple.

The 410 will fit some tires, but not really knobby or wide ones.

There are two 440mm forks. Neither appears to have disc mounts and one of them looks like it is simply a 410 with a taller race, so there is no more clearance for tires than the standard 410.

The 465mm is for 29ers and will probably slacken out the geometry way too much.

Welsh Dave
    Jul 2005
    ^^ What Rockhound said^^.

In case your frame geometry *NEEDS* to use the shorter length P2 (395mm to 410mm ballpark), try the Surly 1x1 fork as an alternative. Disc and canti versions available.

Re. the Surly fork:
    The axle-to-crown measuremant is very similar to the shorter P2s; a little more offset; but the crown is much wider, so clears a wider tyre than the P2 at the sides and (only just) at the top..

A 49/52mm (2.1 inch) WTB Moto Raptor will fit. But only just - It doesn't have huge mud clearance. Not sure about other tyres.

Re. Kona P2 "Jump" Fork:
    I have also seen pictures on here of a 26er Kona Humu Cruiser converted to 29er. I *THINK* that used the slightly beefier 26 inch "Jump" version of the P2. SO it seems that version also has better crown clearance than the standard XC fork. Unsure of which tyre fitted it, though. Maybe search older posts?

HTH in some way.
    Last edited by Welsh Dave; 02-19-2009 at 11:55 AM.