mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Prettiest Blur TRc I've seen

I posted a while back on this forum asking about XC-oriented 650b frames that were available. I quickly was pointed in the direction of doing a conversion bike, and a little research found that the Santa Cruz Blurs seem to be very conversion-friendly. My first search on ebay turned up a custom-painted TRc, and when I showed it to my wife she fell in love with it. Since we ride in the mid-Atlantic area where we have lots of slow-speed rock gardens I initially didn't really thing the TRc would be a good fit. However, when I started looking at what the bottom bracket height would be when converted to 650b and also started looking into the Angleset to steepen the HTA a little bit, I started to realize that this frame had a lot of potential - granted that I am essentially converting the TRc into a Blur XC with a longer wheelbase and more travel, but I am fine with that - it's appropriate for my wife.

Prettiest Blur TRc I've seen-picture-1.jpg

Prettiest Blur TRc I've seen-picture-2-1.jpg

Prettiest Blur TRc I've seen-picture-3.jpg

Prettiest Blur TRc I've seen-picture-4.jpg

All said and done, the build was 25 pounds on the nose, which is pretty good since once you get past the frame/fork combination, this really isn't a weight-weenie build. The bottom bracket measures 13.8 inches from the ground to the center of the bb axle, and the HTA is at approx. 69 degrees with the 1 degree cup for the angleset. I will say that installing the angleset with a Lefty fork is not an overly pleasant experience, and I'm not entirely sure if I have the gimbals properly aligned even now - we'll leave it to the first ride to see if there is any knocking.

For anyone that cares, the Lefty is an Ultra PBR Carbon, and right now I have it set at 130mm of travel - this is an axle to crown that is within a couple mm of the standard Fox fork that is spec'ed with the frame. No spacers appear to be needed for either the rear shock or the front shock, so the bike is set up to get the full 130mm front and 125mm rear travel. In the future, when I send the fork back for maintenance, I will almost definitely have it modified to get the full 140mm of travel - my wife is used to her front end being a little higher than where it is on this bike currently.

I also wanted to give a quick thanks to Cytoe for the excellent protection plate that he is selling. The small Blur TRc frame does not have water bottle mounts on the bottom, so I am experimenting with an industrial strength velcro to hold it in place for now. However, this plate gives full protection to the exposed link that drops below the bottom bracket - an absolute necessity for the riding that we do.

I know the forum is full of posts on how well the Blur TRc rides as a 650b conversion - we'll find out next weekend weather-permitting if it lives up to our expectations

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    For anyone who cares, here is a high-level summary of the parts:
    Frame: Santa Cruz Blur TRc size Small
    Fork: Cannondale Lefty Ultra PBR Carbon (with Project 321 adaptor)
    Headset: Cane Creek Angleset
    Stem: Syntace F109
    Handlebar: RaceFace Next SL Low rise
    Shifters: X0 grip shift
    Crankset/bottom bracket: SLX triple with RaceFace bashguard
    Rear derailleur: X.9 Type 2
    Front derailleur: SLX
    Cassette: XT 12-36
    Brakes: SLX
    Rear Wheel: DT Swiss 240S / Arch EX / Competition Spokes
    Front Wheel: Project 321 hub / Arch EX / Competition Spokes
    Front tire: Nobby Nic 2.35
    Rear tire: Racing Ralph 2.25
    Seatpost: Thomson setback
    Bashguard: by Cytoe
    Frame protection film/tape: Shelter on downtube and Bonk all over the place - we bought it for the paint job so I'm trying to keep it looking nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pretty bike! Thanks for the plug

mtbr member
    I wonder why is the BB at 13.8".
    I run the same tires front and rear as you and a 26" Fox at 140mm and the BB is at 13 3/8"... No angleset.
    A/C on your lefty maybe?
    See the picture of the BB height here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/san...0b-830188.html

Very nice ride BTW!

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    It's sharp, but I wouldn't rate any bike with a Lefty as "best looking." Sorry, I realize they have their merits, but aesthetics isn't one of them--asymetry precludes it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish View Post
    It's sharp, but I wouldn't rate any bike with a Lefty as "best looking." Sorry, I realize they have their merits, but aesthetics isn't one of them--asymetry precludes it.
    Here's the funny thing - I didn't even think about the Lefty as being non-aesthetically pleasing. I've been riding one for over two years now, and I'm completely sold on them. Your point is well taken though, and to be quite honest with you, I suspect that my wife would agree on the non-asymmetrical comment. I'm confident though that she will be quite happy once she gets some trail time on it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I run the same tires front and rear as you and a 26" Fox at 140mm and the BB is at 13 3/8"... No angleset.
    A/C on your lefty maybe?
    You've got me wondering now - it was late when I was checking out the different numbers. I'll double-check again this evening and post back.

Looking at what I calculated when I was initially considering the frame, I was expecting something around 13.4. FYI the A to C of the Lefty at 130mm is theoretically 500mm. The small change in the HTA would definitely not account for the additional height - best I can tell the most the 1 degree steeper HTA could account for is about 0.05 inches.

I also built the wheels using NoTubes Arch EX rims - I can't imagine though that this would have any significant difference on the BB height relative to your ENVE rims....

I remember reading your post when I was researching prior to buying the frame. I find it interesting also that I don't need to shim my rear shock and you did. I let all of the air out and checked - it was close but the RR never touched the mount for the FD cable. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on things though.
    Last edited by TurnerConvert; 03-11-2013 at 04:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have a Lefty on a couple of my bikes, I know they work great, but I think they look cool also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I have a Lefty on a couple of my bikes, I know they work great, but I think they look cool also.
    I personally agree with you, but I can see where they are an acquired taste.

mtbr member
    Using the angleset and slackening the HA should have the opposite effect on BB = lower.
    It must be the rim and maybe variables in tire size combined. I would like to be able not to shim the shock...
    My frame is Medium, but there should not be any difference there.
    I am considering to get a 650b specific fork, rockshox revelation or x-fusion velvet in the future, so I can run RR HD in the front.
    Last edited by jazzanova; 03-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Using the angleset and slackening the HA should have the opposite effect on BB = lower.
    I am considering to get a 650b specific fork, rockshox revelation or x-fusion velvet in the future, so I can run RR HD in the front.
    This is where I was a little rebellious - I actually made the HTA steeper. For slow-speed rock gardens, the 68 degree HTA is too slack for my liking - I set it to 69 to begin with for my wife.

The 650b-specific fork would definitely jack the front end up a little bit - is that what you are looking for? It sounds like you are pushing the limits of the bike more than my wife (and I for that matter) do - otherwise I'd encourage you to look at the Leftys. A little goofy looking - maybe. But they are super easy to convert (the HD might require a single 10mm shim at most) and now that I've seen what the bike looks like with the fork at 130mm, I'm definitely taking the fork out to 140mm when I get the service done at the end of the season.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Will we be seeing a carbon one on the front of your BXCc?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I also live in the mid-Atlantic area, and I found that the stock head angle on the TRc works fine in the slow-speed rock gardens. The one place where it didn't work as well for me was in slow technical climbs, where the front end wandered and it was harder to keep the front wheel down. I installed a longer stem, which made it a better climber without hurting anything else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Right now the BB on my TRC. With xlr pbr 120 is at 12.5". Wait'n for my rims and hubs to get here. After the 650 conversion. It should be about 13.25. Yeh think?

mtbr member

Prettiest Blur TRc I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Right now the BB on my TRC. With xlr pbr 120 is at 12.5". Wait'n for my rims and hubs to get here. After the 650 conversion. It should be about 13.25. Yeh think?
    Are you measuring to the center of the BB?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    A/C on your lefty maybe?
    See the picture of the BB height here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/san...0b-830188.html

Very nice ride BTW!
    Yep - just double-checked and the bottom bracket is between 13 3/8 and 13 1/2 - I'll call it 13 7/16. Clearly I need to double-check things I do late at night....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    I also live in the mid-Atlantic area, and I found that the stock head angle on the TRc works fine in the slow-speed rock gardens. The one place where it didn't work as well for me was in slow technical climbs, where the front end wandered and it was harder to keep the front wheel down. I installed a longer stem, which made it a better climber without hurting anything else.
    I'll keep this in mind. Where do you ride? Our typical stomping grounds are around the Frederick Watershed and Gambrill Park in Maryland.
    Last edited by TurnerConvert; 03-12-2013 at 09:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Nice - what travel do you have your Lefty set at right now?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    no spacers in the fork. 120mm travel. yes, from the center of the bb to the floor. pedal strikes galore. it'll make a beuatiful 650b.
    i do have an old 140 lefty max on my tallboy. converted to pbr, spaced down to 120mm. i might look into swapping the cartridges.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    no spacers in the fork. 120mm travel. yes, from the center of the bb to the floor. pedal strikes galore. it'll make a beuatiful 650b.
    i do have an old 140 lefty max on my tallboy. converted to pbr, spaced down to 120mm. i might look into swapping the cartridges.
    It shouldn't be a new cartridge. Look up MendonCycleSmith over in the Cannondale forums - taking it from a 120 to a 140 is a fairly simple modification. I'm not sure if you can do it yourself, but I just sent mine in to Mendon and he took care of it for me - I had it back in under two weeks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    swapping cartridges between the trc and tallboy. is what i was infering. mendon is great. that's were i got the parts to do the pbr conversion. pulled the spv internals and the pbr went right in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert View Post
    I'll keep this in mind. Where do you ride? Our typical stomping grounds are around the Frederick Watershed and Gambrill Park in Maryland.
    I live closer to Patapsco, so I mostly ride there, but I also get out to Gambrill/'shed pretty regularly. My preferred bike there has been my Tallboy, but I wanted to see if the TRc's slacker geometry plus 650b wheels would make it almost as good through the slow rock gardens. So far it seems to work well. I think the Tallboy is faster overall, so it's my choice for races, but for general trail riding the TRc is more fun.

My main concern with taking the 650b TRc to the watershed is that the 27.5x2.25 Nobby Nics I'm using are not available in snakeskin, and I worry about their durability there. The 2.35 is available with snakeskin, but I was concerned about clearance with the bigger tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yours might be the prettiest, but mine is the most handsome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    I live closer to Patapsco, so I mostly ride there, but I also get out to Gambrill/'shed pretty regularly. My preferred bike there has been my Tallboy, but I wanted to see if the TRc's slacker geometry plus 650b wheels would make it almost as good through the slow rock gardens. So far it seems to work well. I think the Tallboy is faster overall, so it's my choice for races, but for general trail riding the TRc is more fun.

My main concern with taking the 650b TRc to the watershed is that the 27.5x2.25 Nobby Nics I'm using are not available in snakeskin, and I worry about their durability there. The 2.35 is available with snakeskin, but I was concerned about clearance with the bigger tires.
    I totally understand your concern about the non-snakeskin tires. The only thing that I am concerned about with this bike is the Racing Ralph on the back. If the bike for me it would be a complete no-go; for my 110 pound wife who is very easy on her equipment, it might be OK. I agree though - I don't think I'd be comfortable with the clearance of a 2.35 NN on the back. I am tempted to get a WTB Wolverine as a backup - based on its weight I think this would be a slightly burlier tire.

mtbr member
    Really pretty