Wrench

Praise for Santa Cruise's Customer Service

So I was out on the Greenbelt here in Austin when my swing-arm axle decided to give out on me. My frame is from 2010, but I'm not the first owner.

Santa Cruz got back to me within 30 minutes via email, set me up with a new axle for free, and pointed me towards what I needed for a suspension overhaul if I feel the need.

The bike was being absolutely perfect right up until the break. I think it was just its time to die. I'm happy it was during a training ride and not during a race.

Praise for Santa Cruise's Customer Service-imag1383.jpg

Santa Cruz has always been great with their customer service. I wouldn't think twice about picking up another one of their frames. Now if the Highball was in 650b...

mtbr member
    The relationship Santa Cruz maintains with it's dealers
    and, their super awesome customer service/warranty support has sold me on Santa Cruz
    it played a big part in my recent decision to buy a Bronson

mtbr member
    Last week, I discovered I destroyed the rubber bushings in the lower link on my Blur. Called them on Friday, had new bushings and a couple stickers in my hands by Monday.

I've come to appreciate companies that actually pick up the phone and who care about little ol' me.
    The cake is a lie.

Wrench

Sadly, nothing can help me now.

While looking the bike over again, I found a substantial failure in my drive-side seat-stay.

Sad to say, but I believe the Blur is kaput.

RIP Blur XCc, you were the best frame I've ever ridden. An absolute bullet. Rock gardens trembled under your knobs, in your wake you left nothing but dirt-devils and competitionPraise for Santa Cruise's Customer Service-imag1393.jpg.

mtbr member
    SC would probably sell you a new rear triangle pretty cheap. Though this is a GREAT excuse to get a new bike, and you really shouldn't waste those!

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    SC would probably sell you a new rear triangle pretty cheap. Though this is a GREAT excuse to get a new bike, and you really shouldn't waste those!
    A rear triangle for my Superlight was 350 dollars. No telling what it'll cost for the carbon blur. That plus all new bearings, seals, and axles (I'd rehaul the entire thing if I went this route), and I'm looking at almost as much money as I spent on the frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    While looking the bike over again, I found a substantial failure in my drive-side seat-stay.

Sad to say, but I believe the Blur is kaput.

RIP Blur XCc, you were the best frame I've ever ridden. An absolute bullet. Rock gardens trembled under your knobs, in your wake you left nothing but dirt-devils and competitionClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1393.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	809407.
    That appers to be a 2010 frame, if you're the original owner they will replace the triangle under warranty, all they need is proof of purchase. Since they will no longer have the triangle to match your bike they will update you to the current year XCc at no cost. You might have to convert to 142x12 and I also believe the fork is now tapered but its a brand new frame replaced under warranty.

Wrench
    I bought the bike with 50 miles on it from a guy. So no warranty for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I bought the bike with 50 miles on it from a guy. So no warranty for me.
    I wouldn't rule that out. Write Santa Cruz's warranty department, Willie is a very cool guy to deal with.

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by h20-50 View Post
    I wouldn't rule that out. Write Santa Cruz's warranty department, Willie is a very cool guy to deal with.

I'm in contact with Sc currently. We will see what happens.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If that warranty doesn't work out for you there are a bunch of carbon fiber repair places that could most likely fix it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm in contact with Sc currently. We will see what happens.
    Let me know what they say, from what I've seen and read if your not the original owner and the break isn't your fault (crash, huge jumps) your odds are good they will take care of you.

Wrench
    They wont offer anything above and beyond this time, since I'm not the original owner.

Current quote that I've come up with, to replace the swing-arm, bearings, seals, and axles (Because if I do this, I'd want to do it right), is around $650 plus shipping, so easily in the $700 range.

My bike shop sponsor can get me a Nemesis, an entire Nemesis, for $850, shipped....

Who wants to buy some OEM take-off parts from me?
    Let me know what they say, from what I've seen and read if your not the original owner and the break isn't your fault (crash, huge jumps) your odds are good they will take care of you.

Wrench
    I'll go ahead and update this,

My bike shop sponsor got me an EP on a Jamis Nemesis alloy. I can't really pass up that chance. I'll be swapping a few parts over, putting some new parts on (E-thirteen crankset, single Race Face ring, etc) and have a whole-new bike.

I'll be selling some of the parts I can't use, as well as most of the Nemesis's kit.

I really enjoyed the Blur, but I've been looking at a hardtail for a while now. The Blur was nice, but I've always felt more at home on a hardtail.

If anyone needs a broken frame (or awesome rear shock), let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    If that warranty doesn't work out for you there are a bunch of carbon fiber repair places that could most likely fix it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'll go ahead and update this,

My bike shop sponsor got me an EP on a Jamis Nemesis alloy. I can't really pass up that chance. I'll be swapping a few parts over, putting some new parts on (E-thirteen crankset, single Race Face ring, etc) and have a whole-new bike.

I'll be selling some of the parts I can't use, as well as most of the Nemesis's kit.

I really enjoyed the Blur, but I've been looking at a hardtail for a while now. The Blur was nice, but I've always felt more at home on a hardtail.

If anyone needs a broken frame (or awesome rear shock), let me know.
    Sux to hear they couldn't set you up, especially since they are blowing out their XCc frames right now on their virtual garage sale page.

I however share your love of HT's!! I've been looking at snagging a Transition TransAM lately, as soon as I find a good deal....

Wrench
    Sux to hear they couldn't set you up, especially since they are blowing out their XCc frames right now on their virtual garage sale page.

I however share your love of HT's!! I've been looking at snagging a Transition TransAM lately, as soon as I find a good deal....
    Well it would have cost me more to fix the bike than it would to get a new bike, so I decided to just cut my losses. I still think SC does a great job at everything, though.