Poll: 36er tires

Printable View

  • 12-06-2012
    davidfrench
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by uniShark View Post
    The January shipment will also have the rim without a machined braking surface, painted neon green. If you're into that sort of thing. :eekster:

    neon green... oh no...
    :eek::eek::eek:
  • 12-06-2012
    todwil
    Nice
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by uniShark View Post
    The January shipment will also have the rim without a machined braking surface, painted neon green. If you're into that sort of thing. :eekster:

    Saaweeet!!! I like GREEN:D:D:D
  • 12-06-2012
    mbeardsl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by uniShark View Post
    bump. . . ?

    I am schedule to receive them this weekend and they will be in the mail to those who have ordered on Monday. Barring any new delays of course. If you have ordered you should have gotten an email last night. If you are waiting, I welcome your order!
  • 12-19-2012
    mbeardsl
    Tires are shipping BTW. Most that have ordered will receive by 12/26 if not earlier.
    A cpl pics over at unicyclist.com boards form someone who received today on east coast.
  • 12-19-2012
    todwil
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mbeardsl View Post
    Tires are shipping BTW. Most that have ordered will receive by 12/26 if not earlier.
    A cpl pics over at unicyclist.com boards form someone who received today on east coast.

    Cool I'm sitting on my porch watching for the UPS fellar!!
  • 12-20-2012
    mbeardsl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by todwil View Post
    Cool I'm sitting on my porch watching for the UPS fellar!!

    12/22 exected delivery
  • 12-22-2012
    mbeardsl
    All orders incl international have shipped as of last night. 30% of the tires gone so far.
  • 12-22-2012
    smdubovsky
    Mine came in yesterday. Thanks! Should have seen the look on my wifes face when they came out of the box. They're taller than her handlebars;)
  • 12-22-2012
    mbeardsl
    I know that look! Mine rides a 15" frame. At this point she isn't fazed my much though.

    Although tonight she did ask why a unicycle over in the other forum needed a sissy bar (it was the handlebar...)
  • 12-22-2012
    todwil
    Thanx
    Got mine today........will be ordering more after the first of year!!


    Thanx

    Todd
  • 04-24-2013
    davidfrench
    Been running those on our DirtySixer proto bike and love them!
    I cannot thank you enough guys Walt and Matt for making these.
    Cheers!
  • 04-24-2013
    mbeardsl
    Depends on how you measure, like any tire...

    A roll out with my big body on the bike nets a 34.5 at the pressure I run for singletrack, closer to 35.25 for road going pressure.

    David - Get to selling some bikes so I can sell some tires!! I found you another prospective client that doesn't already own part of a bike company ;) Kevin Durant - DO:MORE - Degree Men - YouTube
  • 04-26-2013
    phoenixbikes
    Any 36er riders in northern New Mexico ? I'm 6'4" 220 lbs so I don't really 'need' one for the sake of proper fit but I am fascinated by the handling aspects of the large wheels and would love to give them a try on some real dirt.
  • 04-28-2013
    mbeardsl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by phoenixbikes View Post
    Any 36er riders in northern New Mexico ? I'm 6'4" 220 lbs so I don't really 'need' one for the sake of proper fit but I am fascinated by the handling aspects of the large wheels and would love to give them a try on some real dirt.

    I don't think I've sent any to NM but a handful to TX, CO, and AZ each so you're somewhat close one way or another. At 6'4" I think you'd find a 36er comfortable. At 6'2" I had to make a few compromises you wouldn't have to.
  • 04-28-2013
    davidfrench
    Thanks Matt, Kevin Durant is definitely one of our target!
    :)
  • 08-31-2013
    mbeardsl
    I hear rumors of some awesome 36er work at Interbike!!!! Just FYI for those of you are interested. I don't know what's coming but I'm excited regardless and will be looking for pics and reports.
  • 09-01-2013
    todwil
    That would be cool to see maybe a full suspended one!
  • 09-01-2013
    mbeardsl
    That WOULD be cool. Plenty of room for the rear shock to go somewhere but boy oh boy would that be a long wheelbase with some real front and rear suspension?! Of course, we'd then have to deal with it being labeled "enduro"...

    Didn't someone say they were building a proper tandem at some point?
  • 09-01-2013
    todwil
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mbeardsl View Post
    That WOULD be cool. Plenty of room for the rear shock to go somewhere but boy oh boy would that be a long wheelbase with some real front and rear suspension?! Of course, we'd then have to deal with it being labeled "enduro"...

    Didn't someone say they were building a proper tandem at some point?

    Maybe "endoured" with super long travel let's say 3"
  • 09-01-2013
    phoenixbikes
    I'd love a sub 35 pound 36er with 5-7 inches of travel that handled 'fast'. I wonder if this is realistic say, 5 years from now.

    Forgot where I saw it, but there's a pic floating around the forums somewhere of a 36er with a modified AMP linkage fork. I'm guessing it'd be hard to make a 36er suspension fork with typical telescoping legs. Something like a long-legged Girvin with a disc tab would be sweet.

    Another challenge might be handlebar height, but... most people riding 36ers are tall enough that it probably wouldn't be an issue.
  • 09-02-2013
    mbeardsl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by phoenixbikes View Post
    I'd love a sub 35 pound 36er with 5-7 inches of travel that handled 'fast'. I wonder if this is realistic say, 5 years from now.

    Forgot where I saw it, but there's a pic floating around the forums somewhere of a 36er with a modified AMP linkage fork. I'm guessing it'd be hard to make a 36er suspension fork with typical telescoping legs. Something like a long-legged Girvin with a disc tab would be sweet.

    Another challenge might be handlebar height, but... most people riding 36ers are tall enough that it probably wouldn't be an issue.

    That'd be one of the bikes todwil built (see above posts).

    I think you're right about "regular" forks but the Girvin/AMP etc all died out for a reason. They DO offer a bit more travel but not sure it matters on a 36er as the tire will hit the downtube before it hits the bottom of the headtube (in my experience).

    I still think a Lefty is the way to go, but would require custom clamps (I was working with poster TLKD on that but I put it on the back burner awhile ago).

    Handlebar height and handling due to the very high front end are definitely issues. Ben Witt and Keener have both used systems to drop the bar below the top of the steerer, but as the front end gets lifted further the top of the steerer will get closer to your face/sternum.
  • 09-10-2013
    mbeardsl
    I've seen a pic, and it is awesome. We we're kinda on the right track ;)

    @ pheonixbikes, you will particularly like it I think.
  • 09-10-2013
    davidfrench
    ... you mentioned a proper tandem?
    Who?
    Curious!
  • 09-10-2013
    mbeardsl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by davidfrench View Post
    ... you mentioned a proper tandem?
    Who?
    Curious!

    Can't remember which forum I saw it mentioned. I searched MTBR but couldn't find it. It was likely someone that *thought* about it, but wasn't in reality going to build one. It would be interesting to see you and someone your size on a serious road version ;)
  • 09-10-2013
    davidfrench
    Well there is a serious triplet already...
    Brett S. Marshall TripleTitanic | 36ers