View Poll Results: Would you buy some 36er tires?

Voters
235. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck no.

128 54.47%
  • I'll take one (unicyclist)

12 5.11%
  • I'd buy a set for my bike.

64 27.23%
  • I'd buy multiple sets, for my bike/uni, and to support the project

31 13.19%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Interesting frame.
    Who built it ?

Quote Originally Posted by sni256andr View Post
    DirtySixer36er, Ventana ElCapitan, Soma Smoothie 66cm, Trek T100, ChoiceCollective36er.
    DirtySixer
    36er

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by sni256andr View Post
    Ok, I understand. It turned out that my titanium frameset is very custom and I am looking for (virtually) any big tire.
    In short time I'll try post description of my bike. Now here is the photo which shows the idea:
    could post a pic of your bike built up or is this as far as you've gotten.
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    Why so much clearance?

If the answer is "why not?" then a to you.

Fat and tall would be sweet. I am fattening a rim soon to use on my 36" unicycle for remainder of winter.

I am going to need a bigger frame if I make a matching fat tire instead of using one of my current ones. (current frame only has 82mm clearance)

Matt: prototype in two months! Things are moving quick! If you need a unicycle tester let me know

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Apologies for Mods. I'll post pics here for a while.
    Clearance not only for snow and mud. Initially it was designed for Fat-wheels too. I'd appreciate if someone points on tires like 29"x4.5" (or 622mm x 100mm).

WIGGLER
    Nice looks kind of cold there but nice bike!!

mtbr member
    clipless pedals + snow = congrats !
    DirtySixer36er, Ventana ElCapitan, Soma Smoothie 66cm, Trek T100, ChoiceCollective36er.
    DirtySixer
    36er

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeardsl View Post
    The tread and weight will both be much improved.

Size will be 2.25" as these tires on the current rim will still come to ~2.5". Most current frames are not equipped to take a 2.5"-3.0" tire on a 42mm rim. A tire that wide would also be quite a bit heavier.

Tread resembles something between a Racing Ralph and a Nevegal in terms of both tread and knob height. Personally, I am very excited about it after a slew of crashes this winter due to front tire wash outs. We should see the first prototype tire in ~2 months at which point we will have more details on weight and performance. As Walt mentioned above, this is a slow process but it is also important to get it right instead of rushing something inferior to market.

Hey Mat any new news?

mtbr member

New News

Quote Originally Posted by todwil View Post
    Hey Mat any new news?
    Mould has been scheduled for completion, afterwards we will have our first prototype tires for testing! No clue after that as it could take many prototypes or just the one. We'll post some pics of the first prototype when we get our hands on it and do some test riding to hear what the group thinks about the tread and weight.

I'm staying away from giving any more dates as I don't want to get anyone's hopes up unecessarily. All I can say is that we are pushing for this to get done as quick as possible while making sure we get the best possible product made. No sense in rushing it to feel like we could have done better.

Matt

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    gigity gigity

mtbr member
    a quick write up from NAHBS where the Black Sheep Todd won the best Experimental Bike:
    2012 NAHBS | North American Handmade Bicycle Show | Black Sheep Fabrication | #NAHBS
    DirtySixer
    36er

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by davidfrench View Post
    a quick write up from NAHBS where the Black Sheep Todd won the best Experimental Bike:
    2012 NAHBS | North American Handmade Bicycle Show | Black Sheep Fabrication | #NAHBS
    Nice bike the Pauls rear hub uses the I9 driver which I like a lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by todwil View Post
    Nice bike the Pauls rear hub uses the I9 driver which I like a lot.
    Whats the point of wider hubs in this application? Seems like unneeded weight to me. After 800+ hard miles on my wheels they are true and round as day one, even depsite my many crashes and 230+ lbs.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting this. We're "aficianados" then

While I clearly like my Sheep, this one doesn't do much for me - specifically the seat/seatpost positioning, jumbled tubing where seatstays meet TT, and ugly cog (spend a couple bucks and get something NICE for NAHBS right?).

WIGGLER
    Whats the point of wider hubs in this application? Seems like unneeded weight to me. After 800+ hard miles on my wheels they are true and round as day one, even depsite my many crashes and 230+ lbs.
    Mine work well also I think The reasoning for wider hubs is more triangulation the front looks like it has lots more on the back it has a little bit more and centered. And with the I9 driver ZZZZZZZZZZ 72
    Engagements

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting this. We're "aficianados" then

While I clearly like my Sheep, this one doesn't do much for me - specifically the seat/seatpost positioning, jumbled tubing where seatstays meet TT, and ugly cog (spend a couple bucks and get something NICE for NAHBS right?).
    Yes, aficionados, in a passionate and respectful way.
    I didn't know if I was able to link directly to the poll here, but from hearing people around me talking about that bike, it sure make some impression!
    I showed yesterday the pic to a tall buddy (back in SF) and he -I quote- "almost had an hard-on"

PS: Todd said the different curving of the seat stays give a bit of plush in the rear. The truss fork is really comfortable.
    DirtySixer
    36er

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Mould has been scheduled for completion, afterwards we will have our first prototype tires for testing! No clue after that as it could take many prototypes or just the one. We'll post some pics of the first prototype when we get our hands on it and do some test riding to hear what the group thinks about the tread and weight.

I'm staying away from giving any more dates as I don't want to get anyone's hopes up unecessarily. All I can say is that we are pushing for this to get done as quick as possible while making sure we get the best possible product made. No sense in rushing it to feel like we could have done better.

Matt
    Put me down in the prototype list. I ride mine at least once a week in a rocky/sandy/hard packed terrain. More often if I had a purpose.

mtbr member
    Nice reading in DirtRag about Walt!
    Congrats!
    It gives more impact to the 36er crowd!

PS: I liked the "aficionado" term they used again to call us!
    :P
    DirtySixer
    36er

official eMpTyBRain
    I'm not going to bother reading all the replies to this thread but I do have to ask, is the 36er a concent or does it already exist? If there are any pics, please post....

My questions to this idea are:

How can you position/mount these wheels to a frame w/o the wheelbase being too far apart and the rider too deep inside or too high up on the bike?

I assume we are talking about a completely different frame (unlike anything we already know) with different geos to make this even workable?

Curious....

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    I'm not going to bother readig all the replies to this thread but...
    It's only five pages long.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    I'm not going to bother reading all the replies to this thread but I do have to ask, is the 36er a concent or does it already exist? If there are any pics, please post....
    you should bother to read, 'cause you'd have find this:
    36ers

My questions to this idea are:
    How can you position/mount these wheels to a frame w/o the wheelbase being too far apart and the rider too deep inside or too high up on the bike?

I assume we are talking about a completely different frame (unlike anything we already know) with different geos to make this even workable?

Curious....
    you need to be taller than 6f4, then you'll see that it makes sense.
    In one word: proportions.
    Shorter people can enjoy 36ers too, but it looks odd.
    DirtySixer
    36er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Is it coincidence that those are called "Bologna Bikes?"
    I have not very much info on this builder (he's out of business now), but it was the name of the company. Not the spaggheti shaped 36ers...
    DirtySixer
    36er

b a n n e d
    you should bother to read, 'cause you'd have find this:
    36ers
    Is it coincidence that those are called "Bologna Bikes?"
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member

Tire Update

We are testing prototypes now - 3 sets by 3 people to get a good cross reference of terrain/riding skill/etc. The pics below aren't the best (downpour all day, my poor camera skills, etc) so maybe Brad will post some better ones. You can get a good idea of the tread pattern and depth I hope.

Newest news:

- Testers would take them as-is but I think we can still make some significant improvements.
    - See pics for tread. This is set, will not change as it has proven to be quite good and will best meet the needs of the most riders.
    - Mounted to the Nimbus rim they measure 2.25" wide as labeled. They set up tubed and tubeless fine.
    - They are lighter by roughly .75-1lb, but we want to lose another 1+lb. Looking at different bands, beads, compounds, and thinner sidewalls for weight reduction.
    - Tire weight does not scale up in proportion to circumference so our original goal of 1000g may not be met but we'll get as close as possible.
    - Kevlar beads are very difficult to make at this size but we're still working on it for weight (minimal), ability to fold, and reduced shipping costs. Wire bead prototypes can be "coiled" to fit in a much smaller box but still large, and hence expensive to ship (~$25 cross country).

Performance impressions:

- Weight loss is apparent while riding. They spin up faster and are easier to climb with. I did 5k of climbing today over 75 miles which was much eaiser on my terrain than the old tires. I mainly rode crushed bridal trails, gravel fireroads, and some short singeltrack (downpour all day unfortunately) plus tons of greenway and pavement.
    - Tread is good, nice ramped center line for decent rolling resistance and with good side knobs for cornering grip. All testers have had instances where they would have fallen with the old tires but were saved by the new tire finding purchase. I was pushing them pretty hard in pine straw covered trails and had no problems with grip. The Nimbus may roll better at higher presssure but I haven't had a chance to do back-to-back comparisons yet. I think the weight tradeoff negates any benefit here but we will try to test more on the next prototype.
    - I noticed today that I had better grip on wet wooden boardwalks than my companions who were fishtailing (all better riders than me so no skill advantage here), no problems laying the bike down on damp pavement, and they even did well in ~6" sand from one of the testers.
    - Sidewalls were stiff at first but are getting more supple with use. They are still stiffer than my Racing Ralphs on my 29er (roughly same mileage) which felt weird switching back today at mile 75. I found myself taking corners slower and climbing felt a bit "squishy" although tubed vs tubeless and differences in pressure may have contributed. We will try to reduce the rubber in the sidewalls and see how that feels for us and the unicycle crowd who need more sidewall strength to deal with road camber and twice the weight on one tire.
    - Worked well on pavement and didn't feel much more rolling resistance. My RR's hum/vibrate like crazy which I find annoying after a few miles whereas these were nice and quiet.

Given all of the above, we don't know final production dates, pricing, etc. Remain patient and we'll get that info out as soon as we know it. Please post questions here and I will answer them in batches as best I can. Walt has a VERY time consuming new project and therefore needs a bit of a break from this right now.

Thanks all - Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Poll: 36er tires-new-tire-01.jpg  

Poll: 36er tires-new-tire-02.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    "hard" Cornering seemed to have less gyroscopic resistance than the other tires also.

Other than that, I can't add anything.

mtbr member
    Looks good. Has someone already addressed light strong rims?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast