mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Politically incorrect question

So, I have a diagnosable mental disorder that leaves me staring at my iPad for hours every night trying to figure out which 650b is the ultimate ride. 2 years ago I slapped a 650b on the front of my Titus moto light and along with a gravity dropper seat post I was a temporarily happy guy...
    I have been following the 650b metamorphosis and am beginning to think it is not as big of a deal as I first anticipated---- are the new bikes really that different from a blur trc with 650b wheels and a 34 stanchion fork? The solo and the bronson seem heavy and expensive and people don't seem thrilled after thier purchase.
    What is the difference?

Ps. DeeEight- would appreciate you take on this subject if possible

Thanks

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    A very good question, which I wanted to know the answer as well.
    On the quest of finding the holy grail of the best wheel size for me I have converted 3 bikes to 650b - or 27.5 " as people seems like to call it more- a hardtail, a 125mm and a 160mm travel full sus. Granted all were built up as close as possible to 650b designed geometry maybe except bb height tend to jack up more than I like. The 160mm bike was actually supplied with designated 650b drop-out from the manufacturer and I used 650b designed fork FWIW.
    Lesser to my expectation, the "benefit" of bigger wheel was only pronounced on the hardtail, not so much on the full sus. I guess the slacker HA on the full-sus introduced wheel flop more than I expected.

I'm not saying that I'm unhappy with the conversion but it lead me to think there must be some special tricks to make specific 650b designed bike is standing head and shoulder to 26" sibling. The latest specific 650b component i.e. fork trail should help as well.

As it is my trial (and error) has not convinced me to switch to specific 650b bike until there is a long rave on a new slice of bread later. My converted TRc has served me well and I wouldn't expect a Solo would give me lot of differences apart of bigger wheel size.
    I might be wrong though.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cptjack View Post
    The solo and the bronson seem heavy and expensive and people don't seem thrilled after thier purchase.
    Thanks
    I've been looking for all the info I can find on the Solo, Bronson and HRD. The only negative I've found is the person showing pictures of a damaged HRD due to branches wedge between wheel and frame. Can you guide me to the "people don't seem thrilled after their purchase " comments? I haven't found any...

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    There is nothing magical about the wheel size. The frame geometry and suspension setup, as well as (of course) suitability for your riding style and trails are far more important. There are a lot of conversions that are so close to 650b-specific frames that there's not a practical difference, so you're totally correct there.

I haven't read any negative reviews of any of the bikes you mention so if I were you I'd demo some bikes and/or wait for a buddy to buy one you can check out in person. If you're posting here, you already have some nice bikes so just keep your powder dry, get out and ride a lot of different stuff, and wait for something that blows you away. If nothing ever does, that's fine too. Ride your current stuff until it dies.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    The solo and the bronson seem heavy and expensive and people don't seem thrilled after thier purchase.
    That's a rather absurd statement in regard to people not seeming thrilled after their purchases. I haven't seen a single instance of that notion.

Expensive, perhaps, but also relative.

As to the Blur difference, hard to say. The geo isn't all that dissimilar on paper, but it's probably a bit more dialed in with the 650B on the Bronson and Solo frames. One more instance of boiling down to preference and opinion.

I'm elated with the Solo and Bronson, but for the most part, I doubt I'd be any less happy on a converted Blur.

mtbr member
    Unless you ride smooth flowy trails and really want a near-13" bb height, then rear tire size limitation would probably be the most significant downside to the converted TRc, which could be a non-issue or a deal killer depending on your trails and preferences.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Walt - you are funny in telling me to keep my "powder dry", which is exactly what I need to do. I was sure that the new 650b thing was going to be revolutionary, and it is... I was just wondering if the 650b frame was that revolutionary as opposed to a nice fit TRc, a bike I dig for some unknown reason.
    I don't mean to 'dis the solo or the Bronson both of which are probably awesome bikes.

Thanks for talking me down off the ledge....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by russinthecascades View Post
    I've been looking for all the info I can find on the Solo, Bronson and HRD. The only negative I've found is the person showing pictures of a damaged HRD due to branches wedge between wheel and frame. Can you guide me to the "people don't seem thrilled after their purchase " comments? I haven't found any...

ForumClassic Mountain Bike Forums650b/27.5 Paid Spam Bronson

Again- both bikes probably kick ass

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am on my third 650b conversion. I look forward to the day I don't have to agonize over rear tire fitiment issues. As mentioned the proper geometry & suspension are a must w/any wheel size.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Reviews on Pivot Mach 6 should be trickling in soon,I like the geometry and ordered one plus the DW link is impressive as he'll after riding a 5.7 carbon and having owned a Ibis Mojo SL which I had replaced with a Carbine 27.5.I like the Carbine but still a conversion albeit a good one and was a good choice to test 27.5 but still have option to go back to 26 if not entirely convinced the bigger wheel size lived up and performed to the hype,well needless to say it did and does.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for talking me down off the ledge....
    ...still laughing at this mental image.