Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

PLEASE HELP! slash 8/trance sx/bronson/yeti SB 75 - which one?????

Hi,

I am an all mountain rider who currently has a 26" heckler. It is nearly christmas so i am buying myself a present and i need help deciding which 27.5 ride to go with.

I have read as much as i can find on the net but can not yet make a decision. Can you please let me know which of these bikes you would go for and why. I have only had a heckler full suspension, i have no real idea of how these different suspension systems really ride.

I am also unsure as to which build to go for. the trance is basically the only different one regarding drivetrain (1x11 sram). The rest are all xt builds. fork/shock are all pretty much comparable (right?).

all aluminium except the ibis is carbon, and the front triangle on the giant is carbon too.

Thanks!

trek slash 8:
    Slash 8 27.5/650b - Trek Bicycle

giant trance advanced sx 27.5:
    Trance Advanced SX 27.5 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

santa cruz bronson:
    Santa Cruz Bronson XT AM 27.5 Bike | Stif Performance Cycles

yeti sb75:
    Yeti SB-75 Race XT Bike 2014 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You'll find a lot of biased opinions here... and troll accusations. I like the Burner with Derbys. I wouldn't hesitate to give the Repak a whirl. The Mojo is snappy and the switch is beautiful on the SB-75. The Bronson has good rider reviews and is a local favorite. The Slash rides smooth, Trance will be a bit more budget friendly. Bottom line, they are all great bikes, go ride them and find what suits you. Or better yet, buy them all and provide us your detailed review!

Turner Bikes - Turner Bikes - Turner Burner Exp
    Breezer Repack - Bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    cheers for your reply burgundy. happy for all sorts of opinions. i would like to test ride but the bike stores near me can not get in any of these bikes as demo bikes. i can 'ride them around the street' if they have one in the shop though. thats why i am asking opinions.

mtbr member
    I own a Bronson C and I rode a Slash (26") this past summer at a downhill park. Actually I rode my Bronson and Stumpy at the same park too. My buddy and I both felt that the Slash was skittish in the corners, pedaled awful, and we spent half the day just getting acclimated to the bike. I dunno if it was more the bike or the wheelsize that contributed to this. So we go back home and start finding rave reviews for the Slash and we're like wtf.

That said, when I bought the Bronson I had a little buyers remorse at first but after about two weeks I was able to appreciate it for what it did better than the Stumpy. The Bronson is my go-to ride now but it took a little while for it to grow on me.

My post-purchase experiences with Santa Cruz have been awesome. I email them questions and I get answers back within a day. Sent in a self-addressed envelope and I got a bunch of stickers. Their tech docs and videos are easy to follow and I just cleaned all my pivots after taking a look. Based on how other people's warranty claims and accident replacements have gone I feel like I'm covered if something ever happened to mine.

Right now I've discovered the evil of proprietary parts. My shock options for my StumpJumper are limited to what Specialized has on other models because of their proprietary yoke. I can't put on an off the shelf shock from RockShox, Cane Creek, etc. It must be a Fox from Specialized. If it was me I'd scratch Trek off that list for that reason alone. My understanding is that Trek uses a proprietary shock length.
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    I'm watching this thread. As a long time XC rider who is sold on 29ers, I'm looking for something I can jump without voiding the warranty. I've been looking long and hard at the Trance in various flavors, including riding them, some even on the trail. My problem is every where I ride I have to pedal. So the bike absolutely has to climb. I realize none of these bikes is going to climb like my 27 lb large frame FS cross country 29er, but if I'm honest, I felt like the Trance (3 - I know, it's the ONLY trance without a travel adjustable fork) I rode climbed like a pig. Other than that it was a blast.

I went to a Trek Demo to try to ride a slash. They didn't have a slash in my size. I'm still a bit baffled why they wouldn't have all sizes of their latest, greatest bike on a demo trailer. But I digress.

The bike that really has my attention is the Repack. In my mind, Breezer knows how a bike should ride. Breezer says the bike climbs well. And Breezer knows how a bike should climb. Problem: Apparently Breezer dealers don't know the bike exists.

I probably won't be buying this bike until I've ridden one that really sets off what I'm looking for in the bike. But I like the direction of this thread. So I'm watching it.

another bozo on the bus
    I just got a slash 8 two weeks ago. Completely different beast from the 26er. Totally redesigned. I hated the 26. It was a pig and was a bit nervous when I ordered the 650b version, but I have grown loyal to the trek brand over the past couple of years for one reason only. While all of my friends riding boutique bikes were replacing pivots every couple months, I needed to do nothing more than replace the DU bushing a couple of times. Anyway, the new slash climbs great in trail mode and I really only used the climb setting on double track climbs or on the road. I personally wish the bb was a bit higher, but I have that gripe with every bike.

We had a Bronson in the shop as a demo which pedaled well but I didn't really care for VPP here in the Appalachian chunk as the suspension stiffens as you pedal, so it felt a bit harsh cranking through some of the rocky bits we ride regularly

mtbr member
    I am also looking for a new 27.5 low travel bike, I have a O2 Turner all XTR, its old school however it kicks ass still. I am looking at Turner Czar, Yeti SB-75 or Santa Cruz 5010, at this point going to ride all three and make that choice. there are all good bikes, see what fits the best for my backyard.

mtbr member

PLEASE HELP! slash 8/trance sx/bronson/yeti SB 75 - which one?????

Quote Originally Posted by Madman43 View Post
    I am also looking for a new 27.5 low travel bike, I have a O2 Turner all XTR, its old school however it kicks ass still. I am looking at Turner Czar, Yeti SB-75 or Santa Cruz 5010, at this point going to ride all three and make that choice. there are all good bikes, see what fits the best for my backyard.
    Would add Pivot Mach 6 and Devinci Troy to your list. Both are getting great reviews. I'll be getting a SoloC next week sometime and can't wait to build it up.

mtbr member
    Also Norco and Rocky Mountain to the list, I have to narrow it down to three or will never make a choice...lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Question for the OP,
    What would you like the bike to excel at.

That might help you make a choice without demo'ing the bikes.

If you can figure out what you want the bike to do, then it makes the decision easier.

From a personal opinion standpoint, I would go with the boutique brands at your price
    Point.
    I own a Mojo HD, it is a super fast turning bike, and amazingly easy to jump, because it has a short wheel base.
    But it won't plow through chunk like the Yeti will either.

I would steer you towards Ibis, Yeti, and Santa Cruz...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by washedup View Post
    We had a Bronson in the shop as a demo which pedaled well but I didn't really care for VPP here in the Appalachian chunk as the suspension stiffens as you pedal, so it felt a bit harsh cranking through some of the rocky bits we ride regularly
    Your suspension wasn't dialed. I ride in Arizona, which is arguably one of the "chunkiest" riding environments in the US. My Bronson is quite plush.

OP: Tough call if you can't ride them all. That said, everything in your price point is nice and I'm sure you'll be pleased with whatever you choose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Would add Pivot Mach 6 and Devinci Troy to your list. Both are getting great reviews. I'll be getting a SoloC next week sometime and can't wait to build it up.
    Mestapho, I'm looking forward to seeing your review and pics of the Solo! A recent demo of a brand new Ripley only confirmed my feelings that 5-ish" of travel with carbon 650b wheels is WHERE IT'S AT for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by readytoroll View Post
    Hi,

I am an all mountain rider who currently has a 26" heckler. It is nearly christmas so i am buying myself a present and i need help deciding which 27.5 ride to go with.

I have read as much as i can find on the net but can not yet make a decision. Can you please let me know which of these bikes you would go for and why. I have only had a heckler full suspension, i have no real idea of how these different suspension systems really ride.

I am also unsure as to which build to go for. the trance is basically the only different one regarding drivetrain (1x11 sram). The rest are all xt builds. fork/shock are all pretty much comparable (right?).

all aluminium except the ibis is carbon, and the front triangle on the giant is carbon too.

Thanks!

trek slash 8:
    Slash 8 27.5/650b - Trek Bicycle

giant trance advanced sx 27.5:
    Trance Advanced SX 27.5 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

santa cruz bronson:
    Santa Cruz Bronson XT AM 27.5 Bike | Stif Performance Cycles

yeti sb75:
    Yeti SB-75 Race XT Bike 2014 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Why not just a 27.5 Heckler.
    As well as geometry, climbing will be similar but Bronson will have less pedal feedback and stiffer frame .

Antonio discusses it here .
    Santa Cruz Heckler 650B - Linkage Design

mtbr member

Best bang for your buck!

This is currently the leader in my opinion when it comes to what you are getting, ride quality and cost. A carbon frame 27.5 trail slayer with countless reviews giving praise that can be had for around $3,500. Unreal... 2014 carbon Norco Range Killer-B!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Dude, does Norco pay you? You don't even own the bike, correct?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Dude, does Norco pay you? You don't even own the bike, correct?
    Da fuq is your problem? After demoing the alloy version, I have the LE frameset on order. Did you start this thread??? It is another option for the thread starter to consider, Is it not a good deal??? E-chin check for you, kick rocks...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for all the input and answers so far. As far as what sort of riding I do i am into technical, steep downs and rocky, rooty trails. I would like to get something other than a heckler/single pivot design. I am not too worried about climbing ability as it is all about the downs for me, but to have a great climbing bike too would be a big bonus.

The main problem i see is that there are so many great 650b bikes with 150/160mm of travel. They all will probably ride really, really well. It may help to find reasons to get rid of bikes off my list instead. SManZ's point about 'evil of proprietary parts' is a good point.

dont know about the 1x11 drivetrain. seems expensive to get parts when they wear, and will i still be able to do the pinch climbs that i can currently do in my 2x9 set up?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    No need to curse, tough guy. You tend to populate every one of these threads with how awesome the Norco is. I'm sure it's a great bike, but that information would be better received from a rider that has spent more than an hour on one. Why not wait until you actually own the bike to tell us all how awesome it is.

OP: Sorry for the pollution. Again, any of your choices is going to likely ride great. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    that Pivot Mach 6 is awesome but too expensive! that would probably be my choice if i had the extra cash!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    No need to curse, tough guy. You tend to populate every one of these threads with how awesome the Norco is. I'm sure it's a great bike, but that information would be better received from a rider that has spent more than an hour on one. Why not wait until you actually own the bike to tell us all how awesome it is.

OP: Sorry for the pollution. Again, any of your choices is going to likely ride great. Good luck.
    The pollution is all yours, nothing wrong with giving him another option, guessing he has not visited other threads and you flame me for it!? Im drama free & hitting the ignore button.

The OP & others looking are fortunate there are so many great choices in this category!

Edit: Although I do have a Range frameset on order, I still may end up with a Knolly Warden, I am not brand loyal, have owned most...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Devinci Troy is lovely too but too expensive unfortunately....

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    maybe the yeti 575 actually with xt build- any experiences with yeti bikes people?

mtbr member
    The 575 is an awesome bike, plenty of seat time on a friends 26". Yeti is one of the first to bring us the longer top tubes with shorter stays, great company. I had a Yeti ASR-7 (also single pivot) & must say I regret ever selling it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Why not just a 27.5 Heckler.
    As well as geometry, climbing will be similar but Bronson will have less pedal feedback and stiffer frame .

Antonio discusses it here .
    Santa Cruz Heckler 650B - Linkage Design
    The problem with the Heckler is that given the pivot location the suspension response will vary relative to the chain ring. If you wish to run a 1x11, the suspension will not be optimized. This is true of the VPP designs as well, but to a lesser extent. Don't get me wrong, the Heckler is a great single pivot design, very predictable and fun on the downhills and with the rebound set high it'll really pop off the jumps. Given the single pivot you will sacrifice climbing performance. The Bronson climbs and descends well, but the suspension will stiffen while pedaling and may not be optimized for a 1x11 setup. If you are a smooth climber with constant cadence you can compensate. Like the heckler, the Slash will feel great on descents and rolling terrain, but inefficient on long climbs. The rear pivot at the hub on the slash will not support a moment so you will not feel suspension degradation while breaking. This is true of Devinci and Norco offerings as well. I'm not familiar with Rocky Mountain's 27.5 bikes, but their suspension is similar to Titus. I like the build quality of the Knolly's, customer service, and straight seat tube. The Warden also goes back to the Horst Link of the early Turners and feels like a dream on the descents and climbs reasonably well. The Mojo, Burner, Firebird, and SB-75 will excel at climbing, followed closely by the Bronson (I think the Repak would hold it's own as well, never ridden one so I can only speculate). Trance is a good all around bike, but I'm not a huge fan of Giant nor Specialized for that matter, I prefer the boutique brands. For my riding style, terrain, and style I'm biased toward the Burner, Mojo HDR, and Nicolai ION for FR. The bushings of the Turner will require the least care and their customer service is top notch.

For anyone who wants to ride hard, tear up the descents, run 27.5s with 205mm of travel and a 5yr warranty, can afford German quality and wants to compete in the Mega avalanche:
    NICOLAI Maschinenbau GmbH

Keep in mind that all designs have with a specific purpose and are a compromise between other considerations. (cost, warranty, CS, climbing, descending, pedal feedback, durability, weight, aesthetics, ...) You can spend countless hours splitting hairs, or have a blast with any bike that is dialed and ridden for its intended purpose.

I dig my 26" HT for tight local trails; Sultan is my default for most destination or new trails; I'm in love with the Burner.

Ride and enjoy; to each his own.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by burgundy snake View Post
    The problem with the Heckler is that given the pivot location the suspension response will vary relative to the chain ring. If you wish to run a 1x11, the suspension will not be optimized. This is true of the VPP designs as well, but to a lesser extent. Don't get me wrong, the Heckler is a great single pivot design, very predictable and fun on the downhills and with the rebound set high it'll really pop off the jumps. Given the single pivot you will sacrifice climbing performance. The Bronson climbs and descends well, but the suspension will stiffen while pedaling and may not be optimized for a 1x11 setup. If you are a smooth climber with constant cadence you can compensate. Like the heckler, the Slash will feel great on descents and rolling terrain, but inefficient on long climbs. The rear pivot at the hub on the slash will not support a moment so you will not feel suspension degradation while breaking. This is true of Devinci and Norco offerings as well. I'm not familiar with Rocky Mountain's 27.5 bikes, but their suspension is similar to Titus. I like the build quality of the Knolly's, customer service, and straight seat tube. The Warden also goes back to the Horst Link of the early Turners and feels like a dream on the descents and climbs reasonably well. The Mojo, Burner, Firebird, and SB-75 will excel at climbing, followed closely by the Bronson (I think the Repak would hold it's own as well, never ridden one so I can only speculate). Trance is a good all around bike, but I'm not a huge fan of Giant nor Specialized for that matter, I prefer the boutique brands. For my riding style, terrain, and style I'm biased toward the Burner, Mojo HDR, and Nicolai ION for FR. The bushings of the Turner will require the least care and their customer service is top notch.

For anyone who wants to ride hard, tear up the descents, run 27.5s with 205mm of travel and a 5yr warranty, can afford German quality and wants to compete in the Mega avalanche:
    NICOLAI Maschinenbau GmbH

Keep in mind that all designs have with a specific purpose and are a compromise between other considerations. (cost, warranty, CS, climbing, descending, pedal feedback, durability, weight, aesthetics, ...) You can spend countless hours splitting hairs, or have a blast with any bike that is dialed and ridden for its intended purpose.

I dig my 26" HT for tight local trails; Sultan is my default for most destination or new trails; I'm in love with the Burner.

Ride and enjoy; to each his own.

Love the heckler!

went to it for winter, as my Ripley with it's multi pivots and gucci'ness had me worried for winter mud riding...

and I like it just as much as the ripley. times on favorite loops are w/i 1% and it's super fun and easy to keep clean and quiet. (1% slower, but 1/2 price and easy to maintain, tough t complain about that)

27.5 maybe adds a bit, but feels like a small wheel after riding the ripley for the season.

cheers,
    holiday

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast