Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Reach of just 15.75 inches in the Large. Certainly going against industry trend there.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    That's one of the things I noticed. It's a very short bike. Shorter then the Bronson in size medium. The Firebird was the bike I was hoping Pivot would 650b but I was really hoping they would go straight for carbon. You know they are going to release this bike in alloy this year and get everybody hooked and then drop the carbon version next year just like they did with the 5.7. Damn them!

jrm
    mtbr member
    Looks pretty badazzzzz

mtbr member
    Holy Hell, another long travel 650b......woot woot lol
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    I'm curious what changes were made to the 26" Firebird frame to create this bike other than just the HA. If you look at the geometry everything mostly looks the same except for minor changes you would expect to see from putting the taller 27.5" wheels on. By slacking the HA out about a degree they countered some of the BB and standover height increase but not all of it. WB is just a tad longer due to slacker HA. SA is .25 degrees steeper though while the chainstay length didn't change so maybe that is how they made room for the same amount of travel with the bigger wheel. I'm curious about tire clearance though. Will this bad boy be able to handle the bigger meats that are starting to come out while still providing some mud clearance?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    With the announcement of the new 650b Giants and now this, I'm curious what the 650 naysayers are saying now? By the time Sea Otter is over, everyone will be onboard. I have a Bronson on order but I'll gladly take one of these too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gfowkes View Post
    With the announcement of the new 650b Giants and now this, I'm curious what the 650 naysayers are saying now?
    I don't much care what the nayers say. But yea, there is a certain relish to wet blankets eating crow

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    a buddy of mine just got the 29". He's 5'8 and new to Enduro racing. I told him to wait, but noooooooo.... ;-p

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    That's one of the things I noticed. It's a very short bike. Shorter then the Bronson in size medium. The Firebird was the bike I was hoping Pivot would 650b but I was really hoping they would go straight for carbon. You know they are going to release this bike in alloy this year and get everybody hooked and then drop the carbon version next year just like they did with the 5.7. Damn them!
    Yeah, I was hoping for carbon also, especially since you can already run the FB with 650b.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    It is just a standard Firebird with 650B wheels, an angleset, and 650B fork. The same day this announcement came out, I got in some new wheels and Neo Moto 2.3 tires and converted my Firebird.

Look a few posts down in the 650B forum, to the "Firebird 27.5" postings. I posted a review of my modifications there. Others like "MTB Pilot" have done this as well.

If you already have a Firebird, just get a set of Sun Ringle Charger Expert wheels, and some Neo Moto tires. For $550 you will have a Firebird 650B.

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    Good words, twowheels. I'll let my teammate know he didn't completely screw the pooch. Thx!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    I wanted to be real excited about this bike. But I like big tires, I cannot lie. And I have a long torso, so a 15.reach isn;t going to cut it. Back to wondering, who will make a 160mm dw-link full suspension bike with 650b wheels with good tire clearance and a relatively slack head angle? I am thinking maybe the Bronson is the best thing out there right now. Will have to try to score a demo.
    Rocky Mountain Altitude with the "Ride 9" chip in the slackest setting?

mtbr member
    I have gone back and forth between wheel sizes. I had a Trance, then RIP-9(old flexy design) then Titus Motolite, then Lenz Behemoth, then Knolly Endorphin, then new RIP-9, and then Pivot Firebird.

First couple times I got rid of one size for the other. Every time, I felt like I missed the other wheel size. Now I have the Endorphin, Firebird, and RIP-9.

So I did 4 test loops exactly the same. Endorphin, then RIP, then Firebird, and finally Firebird 650B. Had a rest day between loops, on a very rocky, chunky trail with some techy climbing and descending and some faster areas mixed in.

When I did the loop on the Firebird, my legs were noticeably fresher than the other 2 rides, and I decided then and there, that the Firebird was the one to keep, even though a few places I liked the feel of the RIP-9.

Then the 4th ride I rode the Firebird 650B. Not only were my legs just as fresh as the previous ride, but that feeling of "Wish I was on my 29er here." or, "Wish I was on my 26er there.", had completely gone away. And so will my 26 and 29 inch bikes.

I kept both sizes on hand, because each one never felt quite right, and when on one I missed the other. That feeling is finally gone.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    I wanted to be real excited about this bike. But I like big tires, I cannot lie. And I have a long torso, so a 15.reach isn;t going to cut it. Back to wondering, who will make a 160mm dw-link full suspension bike with 650b wheels with good tire clearance and a relatively slack head angle? I am thinking maybe the Bronson is the best thing out there right now. Will have to try to score a demo.
    Banshee Rune is dam close to what you ask for if you want a 160mm bike. It's VPP suspension kinematics are quite similar to the Mojo HD and very different from the VPP designs of SC or Intense. Tons of tire clearance and plenty slack (and adjustable), and a longer reach designed to be used with a short stem. It's a burly stout bike but can be built up around 31-32lbs with careful component selection. I saw on the Path Bike Shop FB page they had a new carbon Bronson and it's weight was 31.5lbs which really surprised me.

Check out these charts which have the Rune, Mojo HD, and Giant Reign. All excellent kinematics and very similar.

Google Translate

Need more convincing??

Banshee Rune 650B - Tested - Pinkbike
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=twowheelsdown2002;10334588]It is just a standard Firebird with 650B wheels, an angleset, and 650B fork. QUOTE]

What fork are you using and how is it set up?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Simplemind;10344250]
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002 View Post
    It is just a standard Firebird with 650B wheels, an angleset, and 650B fork. QUOTE]

What fork are you using and how is it set up?
    I have aRockshox Lyrik RC2DH 170mm coil spring fork.

No special setup.

I simply installed 2.3 Neo Moto tires on Sun Ringle Charger Expert 650B wheels and used the included 20mm thru axle adaptors. 25psi front/27psi rear with home mix sealant.

I did remove the fork spring and made sure there were no crown, or frame clearance issues.

mtbr member
    Thanks, 170mm...wow, that's a bunch of travel!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Thanks, 170mm...wow, that's a bunch of travel!
    Not in any way noticeable compared to a Fox 36 160mm really. I probably have a hair more sag than when I ran a Fox 36, so they ride similar in height.

What I like with the coil fork, is it always sags to the same spot. Every time!. My air fork seemed like you could sit on it and it would sag 1 inch. Sit up and sit down, now its 3/4 inch. do it again and 1 1/4 inch. WTF? Seems like the stiction required to seal in air makes the sag inconsistent.

Every time I sit down on my coil fork, it sags to exactly the same mark, every time, without fail. I like the coil feel over small bumps, and to me, it does not bounce the front end skyward as much up technical climbs, so despite the long travel, I have no problem scaling really steep pitches.

mtbr member
    it does not bounce the front end skyward as much up technical climbs, so despite the long travel, I have no problem scaling really steep pitches.
    An astute observation Sir! Thanks!
    The ONLY drawback I see to a coil is the weight. There are probably enough +'s to offset the weight issue.

mtbr member
    An astute observation Sir! Thanks!
    The ONLY drawback I see to a coil is the weight. There are probably enough +'s to offset the weight issue.
    Hey, you're too old to be a weight weenie. LOL You started riding in 1985, the same year I did. My first MTB bike was a 1985 Rockhopper Comp(Im 51)

My second full suspension bike, and one of my favorites was the 1998 Specialized FSR Elite. (MAX Backbone frame) That sucker had a 4" travel, dual crown fork that weighed 5.5 pounds, and a 4.5" coil shock rear end. So it kind of cracks me up when people worry about a 170mm coil fork that weighs less.

I had no problem riding the bike "UP" Porcupine Rim trail from the river to Sand Flats, then back down. That bike was one of the first "All Mountain" bikes, before anyone even knew what that was. It was my trail bike, and I rode it everywhere, no matter how much climbing was involved. I still think the rear suspension on that bike was one of the plushest I've ever rode. I used to ride down the center of the railroad tracks near my house, sitting in the saddle in the middle ring, and it ate up all those square edge 2 to 4 inch hits easily without upsetting my pedal cadence. I'm not sure if any modern air shock bikes could do that.235901d1171757337-specialized-fsr-max-backbone-1998.jpg

mtbr member
    Hey, you're too old to be a weight weenie. LOL You started riding in 1985, the same year I did. My first MTB bike was a 1985 Rockhopper Comp(Im 51)
    .235901d1171757337-specialized-fsr-max-backbone-1998.jpg
    Ha...I'm old, you're not (It's a perspective). My first real bike was a rigid Steve Potts, and I wouldn't dare ride that thing where I ride now with my 29"/5" travel cheater bike.

So, did you convert your fork to coil, as I thought the Lyrik RC2DH was an air unit. I'm asking because I have interest in building up a 650B and looking at fork options.

mtbr member
    Ha...I'm old, you're not (It's a perspective). My first real bike was a rigid Steve Potts, and I wouldn't dare ride that thing where I ride now with my 29"/5" travel cheater bike.

So, did you convert your fork to coil, as I thought the Lyrik RC2DH was an air unit. I'm asking because I have interest in building up a 650B and looking at fork options.
    No, the Lyrik is available in a coil version. The coil is less than 1/2 a pound heavier than the solo air.(189grams more)

Just be aware that the Lyrik 26" fork won't fit some of the really fat, new tires coming out, if that is your thing. The Neo Moto fits fine, and I am fine with a 2.3 tire, which is a good trail size to me. I ride uphill just as much as I ride downhill, so I don't want tires that are 1,000 grams+. The Neo Moto is 720grams, and strikes a good balance of acceleration, cornering, float, and weight, for epic trail riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Banshee Rune is dam close to what you ask for if you want a 160mm bike. It's VPP suspension kinematics are quite similar to the Mojo HD and very different from the VPP designs of SC or Intense. Tons of tire clearance and plenty slack (and adjustable), and a longer reach designed to be used with a short stem. It's a burly stout bike but can be built up around 31-32lbs with careful component selection. I saw on the Path Bike Shop FB page they had a new carbon Bronson and it's weight was 31.5lbs which really surprised me.

Check out these charts which have the Rune, Mojo HD, and Giant Reign. All excellent kinematics and very similar.

Google Translate

Need more convincing??

Banshee Rune 650B - Tested - Pinkbike
    +1 for this, the Rune is awesome. Very slack, and mine is under 30lbs with a 36 float (which clears my hans dampf on flow ex).

And regarding the Lyrik, I tried my flow ex/hans dampf combo on a lyrik and it was a no-go. Personally I think the Lyrik doesn't make sense to buy for a 650b build since it limits you a LOT on what tire you can run. If I already had one though then ya I'd definitely just find a tire that works and stick with it.

Oh and for the original topic, this is a scam. Literally just the 26" frame with angle set, as people have already mentioned. Shame on Pivot. I love Pivot for keeping the DW link alive in quality bikes, but if only they would get with the times on their geometry so I could actually consider getting one. Not that they are that off, I'm sure the Firebird would be incredibly fun with either wheel size.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast