Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trailbildr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,249

    Pike 275 Now Available

    I'm looking at a popular distributor with Pike 275 forks in stock. 2 of them, actually. A bunch got snatched up today already.

    Just letting y'all know that they should be available in general, all over, in the coming weeks.

    mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    Trailwerks Suspension Service

    trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: highrustler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    442
    Grabbed a 160mm Solo today! Gonna sell my Float 34 from the Bronson...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    518
    Cool. Would really like your thoughts on both the Pike and the Bronson geo at 160mm vs 150mm. Thanks.

    -Shane
    Quote Originally Posted by highrustler View Post
    Grabbed a 160mm Solo today! Gonna sell my Float 34 from the Bronson...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by highrustler View Post
    Grabbed a 160mm Solo today! Gonna sell my Float 34 from the Bronson...
    Why are you ditching the F34 for the Pike? Is the F34 that bad, or do you just wanna try something different already?

  5. #5
    it's the ride....
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by mastakilla View Post
    Why are you ditching the F34 for the Pike? Is the F34 that bad, or do you just wanna try something different already?
    Same question here: Trying to figure out if I should get Pike or F34 for my 160mm fork to lighten my bike for a trail day.
    Would be great to hear feedback on any of them.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DJ Giggity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider View Post
    Same question here: Trying to figure out if I should get Pike or F34 for my 160mm fork to lighten my bike for a trail day.
    Would be great to hear feedback on any of them.
    I spent a day on a 150mm Float 34. It was garbage. The small bump sensitivity was really poor even in descend mode. My baseline for comparison is a Float 36 RC2 FWIW.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    154
    Just ordered a Pike Solo Air 150mm, there were 3 left (assume my shop deals with QBP as BTI shows out of stock on all versions) so now there be 2.

    Going from my lowered Fox 36 180 Float to the Pike I'll be dropping 549g, that's some serious weight!

  8. #8
    it's the ride....
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity View Post
    I spent a day on a 150mm Float 34. It was garbage. The small bump sensitivity was really poor even in descend mode. My baseline for comparison is a Float 36 RC2 FWIW.
    Thanks for your feedback DJ. I got the impression from reading it somewhere the first iteration of Float 34 was not enough damping and tend to dive even with low compresison cranked up (Climb mode?) and Fox revisited it on 2014 model for better damping.
    What model year was your Float 34?
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

  9. #9
    it's the ride....
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    Just ordered a Pike Solo Air 150mm, there were 3 left (assume my shop deals with QBP as BTI shows out of stock on all versions) so now there be 2.

    Going from my lowered Fox 36 180 Float to the Pike I'll be dropping 549g, that's some serious weight!
    Give us your thought comparing both forks. *thumbsup*
    I got an old Van 36 160mm, and always want to lighten it a bit. But also I'm not sure if I will feel a loss of stiffness coming from 20mm TA to 15mm.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

  10. #10
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    18,988
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider View Post
    Give us your thought comparing both forks. *thumbsup*
    I got an old Van 36 160mm, and always want to lighten it a bit. But also I'm not sure if I will feel a loss of stiffness coming from 20mm TA to 15mm.
    You'd notice far more difference with a straight 1.125 steerer vs a 1.5 lower steerer in terms of fore-aft flex and big crowns in terms of lateral, and of course for torsion the axle is important, but those crowns and stanctions do a lot by themselves and make the 15 vs 20mm aspect a mute point IMO. 20mm would be nice for standardization, but you aren't really giving up much, the real gains on those forks are from the other areas. I had a lot of DC forks back in the day, and a quick release DC fork like a manitou X-vert or Jr T was far stiffer than a 20mm axle single crown fork. Although you want a thru-axle due to how it clamps, 20 vs 15 shouldn't make much real difference.
    Last edited by Jayem; 06-06-2013 at 07:33 AM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DJ Giggity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider View Post
    Thanks for your feedback DJ. I got the impression from reading it somewhere the first iteration of Float 34 was not enough damping and tend to dive even with low compresison cranked up (Climb mode?) and Fox revisited it on 2014 model for better damping.
    What model year was your Float 34?
    It was on a Bronson. I would assume it was the 2014 but I don't know for sure. Once you got it moving it didn't feel under dampened like some complain about with the 2013. Had it been mine I would have cracked it open to make sure it had enough bath oil. It had the feel of one that did not.

    I have also tried a couple of 2013 32 talas forks. Those felt sticky and then under dampened. I thought it was just the talas version.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: highrustler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    442

  13. #13
    it's the ride....
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    504
    Jayem.. Thanks. Make more sense, as the TA will be clamped static (in term of fore-aft movement) with the hub. If any flex it must be coming from wheel or steerer deflection.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    185
    Can anybody who has gotten one of these tell me if the lowers are centered or not?

    My last RS fork had off centered lowers and I was looking at the Pike promotion video on Youtube and lowers looked off centered on that video.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider View Post
    Give us your thought comparing both forks. *thumbsup*
    I got an old Van 36 160mm, and always want to lighten it a bit. But also I'm not sure if I will feel a loss of stiffness coming from 20mm TA to 15mm.
    I'll definitely report back with a comparison but Jayem below is probably correct in that the Pike will have less flex as it's a 1.5 lower steerer where my 36 180 is a straight 1.125.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by highrustler View Post
    Decent price. Cost is around $665 for that fork.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trailbildr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,249
    My big issue is justifying the Pike over the Revelation. I have a Revelation 26 that I've been running on my 275 bike for about a year now and really like it. Damper is easy to service, the low speed compression adjust provides some great settings for my riding style and it's stiff enough.

    I really want to check out that Charger damper though. The FiT damper in the Fox forks is pretty nice and seems to be very robust.

    Poor me, right?

    mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    Trailwerks Suspension Service

    trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    154
    UPS man just stopped by:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pike 275 Now Available-pike.jpg  


  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trailbildr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,249
    Sick. Looks dope all murdered out...

    mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    Trailwerks Suspension Service

    trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

  20. #20
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,044
    RCT3 and damping....

    Ayone else out there think the middle, "Compresion/Trail" setting on the RCT3 forks feels way too harsh?

    My Revelation feels too harsh in that setting, but I've heard they reworked the Pike so that is improved. If I knew that to be the case I'd be looking at buying one but I'm skeptical after my experience with the Rev.

    After folks ride the Pike how about re posting with a report on these issues please.

    Thanks.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    154
    Got the new Pike setup last night, bike is now 26 lbs 8 oz with the Pike vs the 27 lbs 11 oz with the lowered Fox 36 Float 180. Good amount of oil on the stanchions when you cycle the fork, hope that's simply because it's new and this isn't an issue. Been pouring out past 12 hours and continuing on today so hopefully get out on this tomorrow/Thursday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pike 275 Now Available-carbine.jpg  


  22. #22
    I sweep myself
    Reputation: slomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    Got the new Pike setup last night, bike is now 26 lbs 8 oz with the Pike vs the 27 lbs 11 oz with the lowered Fox 36 Float 180. Good amount of oil on the stanchions when you cycle the fork, hope that's simply because it's new and this isn't an issue. Been pouring out past 12 hours and continuing on today so hopefully get out on this tomorrow/Thursday.
    Note to self - Do not read MTBR without adequate amounts of morning coffee. When I first read this I pictured fork oil pouring out for 12 hours...doh...
    "In the past few years there has been building up within me an obsession that the only way to piece of mind is to go somewhere in the desert, far away from things, and just sit down." - Ernie Pyle

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: highrustler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    Good amount of oil on the stanchions when you cycle the fork, hope that's simply because it's new and this isn't an issue.
    This is a GOOD thing! Just about every fork, especially Fox are inadequately lubed from the factory, causing unnecessary stiction. I always have Dirt Labs service my forks before installation, but think the Pike may not need it.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    108
    Does anyone know if the Pike can be lowered (with spacers), and if so, is it an easy process?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by White Bear View Post
    Does anyone know if the Pike can be lowered (with spacers), and if so, is it an easy process?
    I don't know, find it hard to believe there would be any difference between the 160mm version and the 150mm version other than a spacer but that's just a guess. I'd assume you could reduce travel with spacers just like the other Solo Air forks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 04:07 PM
  2. Pike 454 noise
    By trailshdw in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 02:58 AM
  3. PIKE 351 is wet...
    By chelboed in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-07-2012, 04:23 PM
  4. pike 426 help
    By blindman22 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-28-2011, 02:34 PM
  5. HELP!: RS Pike 409 vs 454... Deal? What do you think???
    By juancho142 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-04-2011, 05:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •