mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Pancetti neo motos sidewalls leakin like a sieve

Anybody else experiencing this? Does pancetti warrantee. I think it's ridiculous that a $100 tire wouldn't last more than 150 miles.

Set up tubeless on enve ams with Stan's sealant

mtbr member
    I've blown through MANY of these tires in the rocky mid-Atlantic region. Kirk has heard all about those sidewalls.

I'm running the Slant6 on the rear and Ardent 2.25 or Pacenti 2.1 Neo right now. The 2.1 Neo has a better sidewall and it's on a blunt rim so I'm not worried about the size. The Ardent is SUPER tall so watch it.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

dwt
    mtbr member

I have two 2.1's and one 2.25. The 2.1's were set up and forget from the get go with no weeping, leaking, burping or any issues at all

For some reason, the 2.25's weeped sealant on set up in the area of the embossed logo. A little superglue applied from the outside plugged that up quickly, and the tires have performed perfectly from that point on.

BTW, the name is PACENTI

Posted via Tapatalk on iPhone.

"Old enough to know better and also old enough not to care. Best age to be."
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So he has heard all about them is he doing anything about it to make it right? $.75 a mile is ridiculous. Have you gotten them to replace anything

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just a small sample of what the sidewall is doing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pancetti neo motos sidewalls leakin like a sieve-image.jpg  

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by deofour View Post
    Anybody else experiencing this? Does pancetti warrantee. I think it's ridiculous that a $100 tire wouldn't last more than 150 miles.

Set up tubeless on enve ams with Stan's sealant
    They are not tubeless tires, so no reason to warrantee them.

And I found at least 5 places selling them for less than $70. If you payed $100 you were ripped off.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    They are no tubeless tires, so no reason to warrantee them.

And I found at least 5 places selling them for less than $70. If you payed $100 you were ripped off.

Exactly.

Every non-tubeless tire I've ever used has done this... Pacenti, Conti, Kenda, Specialized. Just slosh them around and set them down on their side for a couple hours, then again on the other side, repeat. After one day I'd ride them, and they might still lose a few psi, but usually by second day they'll have a nice latex skin inside the casing and will be well sealed.

www.derbyrims.com
    This picture shows the usual weeping when first mounted up with Stan's sealant. It is ready to set pressures and ride immediately while still weeping. Check pressure as the ride starts out if worried, I've found they hold pressure well through the first ride.

I've used NeoMoto 2.3's for 5 years tubeless with Stan's sealant. Some Neo's do it more than others, depending of rubber saturation during production I guess. In my experience it stops in a couple hours or over night, to be nil. Sometimes after a wet ride I sometimes see a little weeping as the sealant was saturated from the outside through the walls.

I use near two Stan's squeeze bottles full (same volume as near two Stan's red measuring cups) with a new Neo, I think thats about 3 to 4 ounces, then the tire holds air well without needing more than a couple psi pressure top up for about a week or so. when air pressure is lost at a faster rate I'll add another1.5 to 2 ounces (1 squeeze bottle or red cup), since the sealant dries up inside over time. Hot weather riders report they must use more sealant and refresh more frequently.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I bought the tires in September when pancetti was off the market. They were 100 ea ch shipped from Denmark. I have run them tubeless with stans since September with no leaking. Then the other day it's flat. I guess I will try adding more Stan's.

What would Tesco do?
    [QUOTE=dwt;10385942]I have two 2.1's and one 2.25. The 2.1's were set up and forget from the get go with no weeping, leaking, burping or any issues at all

+1 on that.

Every 2.3 Neo I've ever set up tubeless (on Blunts) has had the weeping sidewall issue, some worse than others. I've been running a 2.1 Neo on the back of my SS since the end of last season and it set right up with no weeping whatsoever. Guess that size was made better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I bought the tires in September when pancetti was off the market. They were 100 ea ch shipped from Denmark. I have run them tubeless with stans since September with no leaking. Then the other day it's flat. I guess I will try adding more Stan's.
    I think it would be wise to read up on tubeless as a whole. As already mentioned Neo-motos are not tubeless ready tires. Also sealant doesn't last the life of you tire - I have seen sealant dry in 3mo. in hotter climates.

NedwannaB
    I don't have the 2.3's but no problems like that with the 2.1's, Quasi's,Crossmarks,Nev 2.1 & 2.35 or Wolverines I have. Actually the only tires I've had some of that total sidewall leakage was on some Spec 2Bliss ready tires. Weird....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Just a flesh wound
    I have about 800 miles on my 2.3 Neos. I have had to add Stan's/ remove Stan's balls more than once as expected. The sidewalls start to seep first, so I just add Stan's. 2 or 3 months later and I add more. I think they are great tires.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

650b me
    My experience was much like the OP's. Both 2.1 & 2.3 weeped like hell. I've set up other non-tubeless tires tubeless and never had anywhere near this much weepage. Not bad enough to warranty, IMO, but I'll be buying something else when they wear out.

650b me
    Did I jinx myself? After riding Sunday, my front tire (2.3 Neo) is flat. I aired it up last night and let it sit overnight. Checked it just now and it's flat again. That's not a surprise in and of itself. Inspecting it closely (sorry, no pics) there is significant cracking where the sidewall meets the tread portion. I suspect this is the source of the leak. This tire is one year old, with about 350 miles on it. I guess I'll add more Stan's sealant and see how well it holds up, but...I am not very happy with these tires ability to hold air. Did I just get mine from a bad batch???

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Are you not listening golden boy... the pacenti tires are NOT designed for anything except tubes. Using them in ways not intended with poor results is no one's fault but yourself. Numerous tire companies, Kenda especially have stated using sealants in their tires not designed for it, will void the warranties as the inner rubber casing isn't designed with exposure to such rubber liquifying agents such as ammonia (which is what is used to keep the notubes liquid latex sealant, in a liquid format).

As to the notubes sealant itself... I find its great for sealing the bead leaks and absolutely junk for actually plugging holes in the sidewalls, especially on tires with thin casings. You're better off using another sealant for that sort of problem
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

650b me
    Where did you find out these are not tubeless tires? I just went to the Pacenti website and they don't mention it there. Not saying I don't believe you...more of a gripe that many manufacturers' own websites omit important information like that.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    Where did you find out these are not tubeless tires? I just went to the Pacenti website and they don't mention it there. Not saying I don't believe you...more of a gripe that many manufacturers' own websites omit important information like that.
    Simple. If they do not say they ARE tubeless tires, they are NOT tubeless.

You even say it here, and acknowledge you know other tires are not tubeless. Did they say "not a tubeless tire, for use only with inner tubes" on them or their website?
    My experience was much like the OP's. Both 2.1 & 2.3 weeped like hell. I've set up other non-tubeless tires tubeless and never had anywhere near this much weepage. Not bad enough to warranty, IMO, but I'll be buying something else when they wear out.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I had the same problem with a Racing Ralph tire. But haven't experienced it with the Quasi-Motos. I'm starting to think it's just luck of the draw; some of them will have little pin holes out of the box, some won't...

mtbr member
    I think there's an a at the end, pancetta. Delicious on pizza. I don't get why its so different than bacon, if they're both pig belly. I guess I got lucky my neomotos sealed up fine. I don't see what it has do with pancetta though.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    They were NEVER anything but tube type tires... to be a tubeless ready tire, a manufacturer will specifically state that on the tires, same goes with UST tires... if they don't, then they're not meant to be run tubeless. Designing and marketing "Tubeless Ready" tires is a relatively new thing adopted only because of things like the notubes conversions kits (which are really only meant to convert the rims to be air tight... they never make any guarantees on whatever tires you choose to use other than their own notubes brand ones). This is pretty common knowledge to anyone in the bike industry who actually has common sense.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

www.derbyrims.com
    Casing thread failure has occurred to a few of my Neo-motos after about 6 months with Stan's sealant. The treads rot or decompose over time when sealant is used. I rarely can wear a Neo-moto as long as 6 months, when I do stretch the use of a well worn tire is when I have seen this problem of failed casing threads, when the tire punctures very easily from a broken end of a branch on the trail or just the flex of the knobs. 6 months seems to be the consistent life of the threads in the casing with sealant in the 5 years I've ridden Neo-motos tubeless with Stan's sealant.

The OP's pictures shows what I have nearly always experienced with new Neo-motos with sealant first applied. The air loss is minimal from the temporary weeping, and can the tires can be ridden immediately while still weeping. The sealant weeping usually stops after 30 minutes to a few hours or overnight, stopping more quickly if ridden immediately.

The Neo-motos are not specified or advertized anywhere as tubeless or tubeless ready. However, they do have a very good tubeless-ready bead shape, consistent with other tubeless-ready specific tires. And they do seal up well on a quality tubeless-ready bead seat shaped rim with Stan's sealant.