mtbr member

Panarace Fatty Rumpkin

Hey guys. I signed up for the Iron Cross 100K cross race in October up in PA. The course is supposed to be mostly gravel and dirt roads with a bit of single and double track thrown in. I was looking for a 650 B tire which will roll fast on the road, but still let me ride the singletrack with confidence. I am currently running Quasi Motos, which are fine, but I came accross these on-line:

Rivendell Bicycle Works: 650B x 40 Fatty Rumpkin Kevlar

It is a 40mm (about 1.5") 650B tire with recessed cavities for shedding mud. Seems like it would be an ideal tire for this kind of course. Has anyone ever tried these out?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I tried them out a few years ago and my impression was that they were mainly a pavement tire that could handle dirt roads. IMO it's a slick with a tread cut into it so it rolls smooth on pavement but does not offer much traction on singletrack. Any dirt that got into the grooves tended to stay there. I sold them after a week or so.

Cyclocross tires would have more and better traction than the Rumpkins . Any thought to running 700c wheels with wider cyclocross tires? The tire diameter with Quasi's would be close.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I don't have any 700C's with disc brake hubs. I'm sure the Quasi's will work fine. I'll just pump them up to about 40 psi and let it roll.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Ovaries on the Outside
    If the conditions for the race were dry and you didn't have much in the manner of singletrack, I think they would be a pretty good choice. A cross tire would hook up better (why oh why is there not a tire that fits this bill in 650b?), but the Rumpkin does ok, rolls well and is pretty plush. But if you have anything wet you're ****ed.