Grams Light Bikes

Pacenti DL31 & Hadley Hub Wheelset Review

Pacenti DL31 Rim And Hadley Hub Wheelset | Mountain Bike Review

Anyone try out either the Pacenti DL31 rims or Hadley hubs? Thoughts?

The last tire I tried with wheelset, was the super fat Vee Rubber Trail Taker 2.4 tires, one of my new fave tires.

Uncle
    I've been trying to kill a set of Hadleys since 2005. They just won't die. Easily serviced (don't even have to remove the cassette from the freehub), and build up beautifully. Super smooth rolling - as fast and slick as any of my loose ball bearing hubs now. Best hubs out there IMHO.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nice review....I haven't had the chance to use either Hadley or Pacenti rims, but a friend in Palmer lake has good things to say about the Pacenti 29" rims.

When do you expect the tire review?

www.derbyrims.com
    Hadleys simply perform excellent. Stiff, quick engaging 72x per revolution, not heavy at all but there are slightly lighter hubs, easy to service and rebuild, and can be converted for all the drop-out sizes. And 150mm wide DH frame rear hub is available too.

After 4 years riding frequently, 200+ lb rider, with much climbing including about 20% muddy, servicing 3 to 4 times a year, I wore out the bearings enough to have very slight cassette slop after 3 years and the free-hub actually did bind to prevent freewheeling near the end of a ride after the 4th year. Note to self: rebuild if cassette slop is noticed.

The $55 rebuild kit contained all replaceable smaller parts including new pawls and pawl spring, seals, free-hub roller bearings and spacer, everything except the two big main press fit bearings and press fit outer ratchet ring. I paid a good LBS to press in new main wheel bearings, the drive side main was toast, and I did the rest of the rebuild which was easy. I didn't have the special Hadley pin wrench tools, but a circlip tool worked fine to turn the plastic freehub seal stop to replace that seal.

I had been doing service with light grease, Slick-Honey, to keep the hub quiet. Maybe my relatively rapid wear in 4 years compared to some others who report lasting 10 or more years performing as new, was due to using light grease instead of Hadley's lighter, thick clear oil. But at my weight and amount of climbing, I usually wear out most drive-line components in 1 to 2 years, so Hadley far exceeded my durability expectation. Now I use Hadley's oil when servicing. The with the Hadley oil the rapid clicking pawl noise is OK with a quality sound, not at all obnoxious loud and defective sounding like a Hope hub.

Hadley hubs are simply un-compromised great hubs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Good write-up^^

Same findings, only problem I have ever had was user error.. I lost my pick to pull out the main seal, ended up nicking the lip while using the wrong tool (done this 2x now). Lip on my main seal has been superglued 2x and still holds like new

Main seal is a quality piece, it has some sort of metal insert inside so it holds it's shape

Oh, and they make the SS rear which is AWESOME

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by jw06 View Post
    Nice review....I haven't had the chance to use either Hadley or Pacenti rims, but a friend in Palmer lake has good things to say about the Pacenti 29" rims.

When do you expect the tire review?
    Vee Rubber review is in progress, hoping they'll send me another set of tires for my testing.