Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

Orbea Rallon. Yes please.

Anyone else really impressed with the new Orbea Rallon?

I'm struggling to find any boxes it doesn't tick - long top tube, slack HA, steep SA, short chainstays, stealth routing, threaded BB, ISCG-05 tabs, adjustable geometry, simple leverage curve, big shock, etc.

It's not carbon, but that also helps it from costing an arm and a leg. Plus, I'm thinking carbon wheels might make more of a difference than a carbon frame (ie alloy frame/carbon wheels>carbon frame/alloy wheels).

There are some favorable reviews popping up around the internets:
    Pinkbike
    Bikeradar
    Enduro-MTB

I'm riding one on Saturday, can't wait!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Not overly impressed with the Geometry, but full BOS-Suspension is killer and the Rallon seems to be a serious fun-orientated AM-Bike overall. I like it.

Chumley for prez!
    I did a short ride on one (L sizeway), and I found the geometry to be bang on. I think Orbea's got a winner on it's hands.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This will be my next bike in early 2014! Facts are very nice. The geometry looks spot on and you can't go wrong with the BOS suspension.
    I am not sure yet which size and color to get. Beeing 184cm tall I could go with medium or large I think.

@mr.welcorn
    Whats your height and how do you felt on that large Rallon? From the numbers it seems to be more like x-large.

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadl View Post
    @mr.welcorn
    Whats your height and how do you felt on that large Rallon? From the numbers it seems to be more like x-large.
    Hey, so I got in another ride on the large and I felt much more comfortable on the bike this time. I'm 193cm and rode with a 50mm stem. Felt perfect for me, but it's a BIG bike, long wheelbase, long toptube, etc.

Based on your height, you could probably go either way, but you might want a 35mm stem if you go large? I'd try both and see which feels best to you. On the other hand, the medium will be lighter?

A word on the BOS, it's aptly named! The rear suspension is really really good. Orbea did their homework there. This is a very fast bike. Curious to see if Noah's experience is similar to mine.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So it felt very big and not playfull in size L?
    So I might go with the medium. I like short stems but if the frame is that long..
    Do you felt stretched on the bike while pedaling?

Chumley for prez!
    So it felt very big and not playfull in size L?
    So I might go with the medium. I like short stems but if the frame is that long..
    Do you felt stretched on the bike while pedaling?
    I thought the geo of the large felt great and the short chain stays made it quite "playful". However, I'm 7cm taller than you and I weigh 200 lbs (91 kgs). My current trail bike is an Xl rip rdo which is also quite big, so you get the idea.

Sounds like you could go either way, it just depends on whether you want a more compact fit or if you want to be stretched out a bit?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

Well, I got to shred on it...

Got to ride it today! Did about twenty miles on super flowy, buff trails - this baby rips! I'm really impressed so far. I've got it for a week, hopefully the weather holds out and I can get more time on it. Too early to make too many bold statements, but I can say it is a pretty impressive package. The large fits me well at 6'1" - feels like a natural position coming off XL Santa Cruz frames.

Orbea Rallon. Yes please.-orbea5.jpgOrbea Rallon. Yes please.-orbea4.jpgOrbea Rallon. Yes please.-orbea3.jpgOrbea Rallon. Yes please.-orbea.jpg

More to come as I get it some time on it.....
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Better get on it. Weather is about to take a big dump! Let me how how that thing rails the trainer

mtbr member
    Mr Colorado, if you get an opportunity could you throw that fine looking rig on a scale, any idea of the frame weight?
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Not sure on frame weight, but as-is the scale reads a hair over 30 (with Mallet pedals).
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

What a bike !

Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    I like this bike too. Someone have tried to change the geometry to the super-low position ? XX1 comes with 175mm or 170mm crankset ?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan-Bagnat View Post
    I like this bike too. Someone have tried to change the geometry to the super-low position ? XX1 comes with 175mm or 170mm crankset ?
    They all come with 170mm cranks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Gotta spend 7K to get the BOS stuff

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Does anyone know the shock size of the BOS Kirk on the Rallon?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    8.5" x 2.5" I believe.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thank you!
    Any new impressions on the Rallon from you?
    Still trying to decide between a Lapierre Zesty/Spicy and the new Rallon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    8.5"x2.5" (216x63mm) according to the BOS Shock Compatibility Chart

http://www.bosmtb.com/uploads/media/...12-2013_03.pdf

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Climbing ?

Thank you!
    Any new impressions on the Rallon from you?
    Still trying to decide between a Lapierre Zesty/Spicy and the new Rallon.
    I'm curious also to know more things about this bike. Mr Colorado, how was the bike to climb ? With short chainstays and a 160mm fork don't you have got too much wheelies ?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by GaelP View Post
    I'm curious also to know more things about this bike. Mr Colorado, how was the bike to climb ? With short chainstays and a 160mm fork don't you have got too much wheelies ?
    Not with the really long front center measurement, the front end stays planted. The bike pedals really well because of the relation of the pivot to the chainrings but it's not going to win any Strava KOM's against a 125mm trail bike. But if you consider it weighs around 29 lbs and has geometry similar to a Demo 8 but with a longer cockpit, it climbs like a squirrel on fire! It feels really snappy the harder you pedal, so when you are throwing in a few quick pedal strokes between corners it really goes. I will post up a weight when I have my ENVEs set up.

Edit: 28.3 lbs with Enve AM

Orbea Rallon. Yes please.-enverallonsm.jpg
    Last edited by JMH; 01-23-2014 at 10:13 AM.

mtbr member
    This looks like a really killer bike. Enough to make my mind stray from my Bronson which is now feeling a little short in the cockpit. Has anyone else swung a leg over the new Rallon yet? Any riders who are about 5'9" with sizing feedback? I'm down to a shootout between the Rallon and the Kona Process 153 and I'm having a tough time deciding.
    Last edited by Foxbat; 02-03-2014 at 01:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i am ordering the rallon today and i am 5'9.6" ( 177cm) and i am confused since the medium has really long top tube and wheel base but the size chart says 175 is the max for the small. can anyone help with this ?

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar Soliman View Post
    i am ordering the rallon today and i am 5'9.6" ( 177cm) and i am confused since the medium has really long top tube and wheel base but the size chart says 175 is the max for the small. can anyone help with this ?
    You can fit on a small but you are better off on the medium. These medium bikes are really med/large or large as in most brands. It's best described as an 18" or 18.5 inch bike.

What's going on is the top tube is pretty darn long.

But it is made to run 45-50mm stems and wide bars so the long top tube is key. The bike has a long wheelbase to make it stable when thundering through the chunder.

fc
    IPA will save America

swag ho Administrator
    This bike is truly incredible and is the surprise of the Mtbr bike test. Orbea jumped two notches in the trail bike arena with this introduction.

They are excelling in two levels:

1) The geometry is different from the rest. Stays are short but wheelbase is long. What's going on is they wanted it quick on the rear but very stable on the fast and rough descents. What you get is a bike that is stable yet really playful. The rear will want to drift on you (specially with that small Mavic rear tire) but it is all very controllable (if you're good ).

BB is low at 13.3 inches but they countered it with short cranks to prevent pedal strikes when climbing and cornering.

Seat tube is steep at 74.5 degrees and this thing pedals like a champ. Rear shock has things under control and there just doesn't to be a lot of pedal bob.

2) Components are amazing! BOS suspension, Mavic wheels, Raceface, Fizik. Everything is best of breed!!! Except the brakes.

The key is the ride is rad. It is like a hammer on the downhills. And it can climb.

First Look: Orbea Rallon Breaks Away with 160mm of Tuned BOS Suspension | Mountain Bike Review
    IPA will save America

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast