mtbr member

OK, sold Nickle, what next? 100-120mm 650b FS bike advice...

Any recommendations?

Anthem 27.5 is nice but much of the components are crap honestly. They run a low level monarch out back with no rear lock-out, seriously.
    The front fork was nice, the SLX brakes and gearing works ok but I'd end up having to spend at least $500 to get it to where I like it and even then I'd still be rocking the stock wheels.

I'd like to keep it under $2,500, anything else I should be looking at?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    nothing else in that price range will be any better than the Giant.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    That's what its looking like, thanks

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Maybe don't need lockout with Maestro anyway?

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by moose1 View Post
    Maybe don't need lockout with Maestro anyway?
    This. Even Nickel's APP did not really need the rear lockout.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Did you do your homework before selling the Nickel? There aren't many new 650b bikes that come in under $2500. You had a pretty sweet setup already...

mtbr member
    I did, the Nickle was nice but I needed something lighter with less travel. The frame on the Nickle was like 7.5#, the giant is under 6#.
    I want to see the new 2014 Camber 29er's from Spec before deciding as they may be a perfect trail and race bike, want to see what the component level and ride are like for similar money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you're up for another conversion, you could probably find a Blur TRc or a Mojo and build it up around $2500-3000... or if you're looking for a lot less travel, you could convert a Superlight 26" frame for a LOT less than that. I have a Blur LT set up with 650B and absolutely love it, but that's 140mm travel so it's probably too much for what you're looking for.

I'm not sure there are many new "kit" bikes that are under $2500 that have a decent component package.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rocky Thunderbolt? The 730 has XFusion Velvet RL2 fork, and mix of Deore/SLX/XT.

mtbr member
    My medium nickel also came in at 7.5 lbs. Without too much effort I put together a 650 conversion for about $2500 and a reasonable weight of 27.5 lbs. Dollar for dollar I don't see how you will beat the nickel for value. Perhaps you would have been better off keeping the usable components and getting a new frame and fork. I saw KHS frames somewhere for around $1250.

mtbr member
    Ust sold my nickel frame and it was also over 7 lbs. my new hardtail was 5.5 pounds lighter with same componets. They make a chinese carbon fully thats 108mm rear travel.

The camber is a long wallowing pig thats a tank.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Cdale rush convert? Leftys go easily but you could also throw a tapered fork with 120mm of travel. 110mm travel and awesome geometry. Wicked light.

mtbr member
    Got a deal I couldn't refuse on a new Anthem 27.5, bought some crossmarks, set up tubeless and hit the trails. Its fast to be sure but I have to pay more attention to pedal placements over obstacles (pedal strikes) which I haven't had since riding the Nickel.
    The lower BB is noticeable, lower center of gravity, the crossmarks hook up great in loose over hard and roll super easy in the straights. Riding a race loop this morning I was as fast as my fastest time last weekend on the Nickel and I wasn't really pushing myself, trying to get used to the ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    Got a deal I couldn't refuse on a new Anthem 27.5, bought some crossmarks, set up tubeless and hit the trails. Its fast to be sure but I have to pay more attention to pedal placements over obstacles (pedal strikes) which I haven't had since riding the Nickel.
    The lower BB is noticeable, lower center of gravity, the crossmarks hook up great in loose over hard and roll super easy in the straights. Riding a race loop this morning I was as fast as my fastest time last weekend on the Nickel and I wasn't really pushing myself, trying to get used to the ride.
    Nice! Did you go for spec level 3? I'm looking at a Trance 3 myself and I'd consider a brake, wheels and/or fork upgrade, if necessary after riding a bit. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    Its fast to be sure but I have to pay more attention to pedal placements over obstacles (pedal strikes) which I haven't had since riding the Nickel.
    The lower BB is noticeable...
    This is my concern with the new SC 650b bikes. The bigger wheels comfortably raised the BB on the Nickel, to what is for me a perfect compromise. I assume the BB drop was increased on the designed frames and results in a lower BB height.

mtbr member
    Yes but the more I ride the bike the more I think a 120 fork up front might be a nice change, enough that when I upgrade the fork I'll experiment.

I bought the Anthem 3, I am going to write a review up shortly.