Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    336

    OK, I want one, where can I buy 650b mtb tires?

    Anyway, I google 650b tires and all I get are road tires.? Where can I buy 650b mtb tires? I don't mind spending the money building a front wheel and trying it out. It looks like there is enough intreset that if I don't love it, that I could sell it. I have ridden several 29'ers and I like them OK, but didn't love them. They rolled great, but I didn't feel like how they felt in the turns. I also didn't feel the flickabilty of my 26's.

    I have an '05 Reign with an '06 TALAS 36. My current HA is 67 degrees with matching 26 x2.35 Ignitors. All I need is a front wheel and tire. The wheel looks like the easy part. What about the tires? I haven't asked a shop yet. Does QBP carry them?
    Last edited by willie b; 05-10-2008 at 05:18 AM. Reason: title

  2. #2
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,575
    PM Kirk Pacenti. I'm ordering mine from him. Its gonna be a LONG time before any distributors have them in inventory. Its more likely Haro and other brands backing the tires will get dibs on them before distributors do.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    161

  5. #5
    Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Reputation: Kirk Pacenti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,583
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    PM Kirk Pacenti. I'm ordering mine from him. Its gonna be a LONG time before any distributors have them in inventory. Its more likely Haro and other brands backing the tires will get dibs on them before distributors do.

    Actually all the major distributors have tires in stock now.

    BTI, QBP, J&B, Merry Sales... etc, etc.

    Your LBS should be able to get them no problem.
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

    Pacenti Cycle Design

  6. #6
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,575
    And which have the CR18s in stock (I'm not risking I get one of the undersized velocities).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  7. #7
    nothing relevant to say
    Reputation: Cracked Headtube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,349
    J&B have cr18 instock, silver only.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    248
    I got to ride a Kirk Pacenti demo frame with some Neo moto tires. The Neo Motos hooked up great and cornered perfectly.

    Here's Kirk's website with 650b components: http://www.bikelugs.com/store/index.php?intCategoryID=3
    Here's some other 650b info gathered from my quest for 650 components:
    http://mtbpath.com/riders/forum/posts/id_283/
    Enter to Win a Vassago Frame and support the fight against childhood cancer

    MTB Path, Southeastern mountain bikers

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    336

    Thanks everyone!

    Kirk PM'ed me the same morning. What a guy. I will probably look into a Hope pro2 with a Stan's rim.

    The bad thing is last November I bought a set of Crossmax SX's(my dream wheel) and I totally love them. They are not too heavy 1900g and Tubeless. Not to mention, I dropped big bucks on them. I am too much of a fashonista. I know I cannot run mismatched rims. Ergo, my nearly new wheels will be up for sale. I really have to want 650b for this to work.

    Later,
    B

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by willie b
    Kirk PM'ed me the same morning. What a guy. I will probably look into a Hope pro2 with a Stan's rim.

    B
    a great combination. it's as if the neo-moto was made for the stan's rims. nice tight fit and perfect seating of the bead for running tubeless. in fact the tire is so tight on the rim that when i used stan's suggestion of first inflating the tire with a tube to seat the yellow tape it was very difficult to get the tire on and off.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stymie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    249
    Hey Lance - just wondering, are you using your Thylacine for the 650Bs, or is this a totally new project?

    I'm super curious about these wheels as well, as I was never sold on the 29er thing. Love to hear your impressions of 650B versus Wissahickon when you get a chance

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stymie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    249
    Pft, never mind - just came across your other posts! Looks great - certainly handy that you have the Paragon sliders. I'm not sure I'd be able to squeeze a 650B in the rear of my Strong.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    hey stymie - one of these days we'll cross paths in the wiss. yes, wheel conversion on the thylacine.

    really? a standard 26" chainstay lenght should provide plenty of room. the only questions would be real estate between the stays and where the cross braces are (assuming you have them).

    believe it or not even with the sliders moved all the way forward i still have tons of clearance. with them all the way back i could probably fit a 29'er

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stymie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    hey stymie - one of these days we'll cross paths in the wiss. yes, wheel conversion on the thylacine.

    really? a standard 26" chainstay lenght should provide plenty of room. the only questions would be real estate between the stays and where the cross braces are (assuming you have them).

    believe it or not even with the sliders moved all the way forward i still have tons of clearance. with them all the way back i could probably fit a 29'er
    Hey Lance, thanks for the clarification. I'll have to have a closer look at how much room I have back there.

    I do know that I can squeeze a Schwalbe Big Betty in, which is a pretty tall tyre, although I have never ridden with it, so I don't know whether it will rub etc. My 2.35 Fat Albert has plenty of room and has never caused any problems.

    Food for thought.... Good luck with the conversion!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stymie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    249
    Out of curiosity, I took a few measurements:

    With a Sun Singletrack rim and Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35s, my rear wheel measures approximately 26 7/8" in diameter. As best as I can measure, I only have about 0.5' clearance between the rear tyre and the chainstay strut.

    What sort of diameters are people getting with the NeoMoto?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    iirc, i read somewhere on this forum 702mm diameter. the measurement i made in my garage came up with 708mm

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stymie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    249
    Thanks Lance. It's not looking promising - I think 702mm will have me almost touching the strut.

  18. #18
    Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Reputation: Kirk Pacenti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,583
    Quote Originally Posted by stymie
    Out of curiosity, I took a few measurements:

    With a Sun Singletrack rim and Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35s, my rear wheel measures approximately 26 7/8" in diameter. As best as I can measure, I only have about 0.5' clearance between the rear tyre and the chainstay strut.

    What sort of diameters are people getting with the NeoMoto?

    The ones I have here are measuring about 27.71" (704mm).
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

    Pacenti Cycle Design

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stymie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    The ones I have here are measuring about 27.71" (704mm).
    Thanks Kirk! I think it's going to be too close to call. Lance, I may have to borrow your rear wheel for a fitting

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by stymie
    Thanks Kirk! I think it's going to be too close to call. Lance, I may have to borrow your rear wheel for a fitting
    that can be arranged.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stymie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    that can be arranged.
    Thanks Lance! I'll get in touch when curiosity gets the better of me. I think we've met informally at one the PMBA trail maintenance days, I'll be sure to say hello next time!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh

    Ordered mine, just wondering how long shipping took for you? I've got my wheel (ZTR 355) and some new discs (BB7's), but waiting for this tire is killing me! It's only been a few days but I'm excited to get some rides in before I race this thing.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    Ordered mine, just wondering how long shipping took for you? I've got my wheel (ZTR 355) and some new discs (BB7's), but waiting for this tire is killing me! It's only been a few days but I'm excited to get some rides in before I race this thing.
    took a good week to get to me. i think i ordered on a sunday night and they arrived on saturday.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thylacine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,224
    Shot any pix yet Lance?

    *edit* Ah no worries, I found some.

    I think you just scraped in for the first 650b Thylacine! Here's the second :
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Thylacine; 05-21-2008 at 02:36 AM.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    Shot any pix yet Lance?

    *edit* Ah no worries, I found some.

    I think you just scraped in for the first 650b Thylacine! Here's the second :
    a win is a win.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •