nothing relevant to say

Official MTB 650B(584 ISO) Tire Thread

Seems like some folks are falling behind. Here is an update.
    Pacenti Neo Moto 2.3" (soon to be also in 2.1")

Pacenti Quasi Moto 2.0"

Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.2"

Kenda Nevegal 2.1"
    (en route)
    IRD/Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1"

WTB Wolverine 2.2"

Nokian Hakkapeliitta Stud 2.0"

I will upload my own images when I get these tires mounted!

mtbr member
    What about adding in some of the touring tire options as well? I noticed on the Rivendell site around 4 to 5 other options for those who may do dual duty with their 650b hardtails.

nothing relevant to say
    Don't take this a rude, ok? This is MTBR, the majority of riders on here are looking for off road, knobbies. I will get a similar tire list, and post it to 650bPalace.com. Everyone wins.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Some good 650b tire info

This has a lot but not all 650b tire info available. I hope to update it with Fire XC Pro and Nevegal specs soon.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...Yi7hiDUv_KjoLw

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    Don't take this a rude, ok? This is MTBR, the majority of riders on here are looking for off road, knobbies. I will get a similar tire list, and post it to 650bPalace.com. Everyone wins.
    Sounds perfect

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Is there a smooth, fast rolling very fat 650b tire available like the Schwalbe Big Apples or Fat Franks? I'm thinking of putting em on my bike!

NedwannaB

Vetran 650b'ers?

Curious to who may switch to the 2.1 when it comes out? Probably more interested in this size as I'm from more the XC side of things but just wondering if I should wait and see before I take the plunge.

Anyone else thinking of using one of these instead of a 2.3 up front to matchup better to a Quasi in back??

Thx in advance.

nothing relevant to say
    I'm looking forward to the 2.1" for my XC bike. The 2.3 have been great for the gnarly sand we have in FL, but rotating weight is getting 'up there'. The 2.1 will be nice front and rear for these parts, especially on a set of Stan's rims. The 2.3/2.1 combo will likey end up on my meaner-trail rig. I'll leave the Quasi's for the lightweight trails.
    The Schwalbe Racing Ralphs have been nice lightweight tires too. I'm using them F&R right now. They will be removed to test the Panaracer 2.1" Fires I just received. I'm mounting them to the Stan's rim'd wheels I have.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Need a smooth, fast rolling tire? Since Schwalbe hasn't made its Big Apples or Fat Franks available in the 650b size yet, Grand Bois Hetres 650b X 42 - the classic "demi-balloon" tire would be the perfect all around MTB tire - if speed and low rolling resistance are your thing. Wide tires roll fast and its the only one that seems to be the Jack Of All MTB tires - at least til Schwalbe starts making fatter balloon tires for us in the size.

A Rawland Sogn shows what a balloon tire MTB could look like (excuse the drop bars on this one) :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Curious to who may switch to the 2.1 when it comes out? Probably more interested in this size as I'm from more the XC side of things but just wondering if I should wait and see before I take the plunge.

Anyone else thinking of using one of these instead of a 2.3 up front to matchup better to a Quasi in back??

Thx in advance.

Oh yeah--the 2.1 will be just the ticket for the trails around here. (Lower Michigan) Looking forward to it! Once some more Full Suspension options become available, the 2.3 matched to a Nevegal rear sounds like the hot ticket to me...

mtbr member
    CH -

Two questions:

1. What is the expected release date of the WTB Wolverine?

2. How would you rate / compare the Quasi and the Racing Ralph?
    (What I would call the two available racing options at this point.)

Thanks.

nothing relevant to say
    1. I will find out soon. I'd say sometime close to Sea Otter. I'd assume if any company will be doing a complete they will probably lean towards the WTBs for OEM.

2. The RR has more bite, for sure. I haven't been unimpressed with the Quasi's ability to glab. Makes for a nice tubeless tire ( mine mounted up and kept tight for months). On price the QM has the RR beat. I do like the knobbies on RR. I will test them tubeless when I get around to it. Schwalbe has a nice casing, out of the box the tire was nice. Oh, thats another thing, the Pacenti Tires come with no retail packaging( which is fine with me- one way to lower the final price), while the Schwalbe come nicely boxed. Schwalbe is tire company so their boxes get used for the gammut, they just change the tire description sticker.
    The Schwalbe will a nice 'goto' race tire for most conditions.

mtbr member
    Is the Racing Ralph available now? And if so from whom?

nothing relevant to say
    Racing Ralph is a available to any bike shop willing to order straight from Schwalbe. I don't know of distributors carrying them yet. everybicycletire.com can get them. If you want to be one of the first consumers with Nevegals visit my blog (link in my signature)

nothing relevant to say
    FREE 650B NEVEGALS ON 650BPalace.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Has anyone had a chance to measure and weigh the Nevegals or the Schwalbes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    Racing Ralph is a available to any bike shop willing to order straight from Schwalbe. I don't know of distributors carrying them yet. everybicycletire.com can get them. If you want to be one of the first consumers with Nevegals visit my blog (link in my signature)
    USD75 for a 650b Racing Ralph!?!

Crikey.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Hi all,

I need a narrower tire than my current Nevegal, it is a 2.1 tire but my frame allowance still has 2mm space to left and right with it, and sometimes I can feel it rubbin my frame side by side. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Helmetless; 06-10-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Focus Thunder 650b tuned

mtbr member
    I trashed a 2.1 Pacenti Neo Moto recently and put an old backup 2.1 Nevegal on until I get a replacement Neo. It was a good reminder that the Nevegal's side lugs stick out farther and come a lot closer to rubbing on the sides than the higher volume Neomoto does. These are both 2.1's I'm talking about, and both mounted on a 28mm wide Flow rim.... So I'd say give the 2.1 Neo Moto a try. I like it alot better anyway for it's fatter volume, faster rolling, less squirmy feel, and MUCH better/more predictable feel when cornering hard.
    Also, If you've got 2mm clearance, but it's rubbing when you're riding, you may see if you can tune out some flex that's going on somewhere. Spoke tension in your rear wheel could be low and allowing excess wheel flex, or maybe you could use a heavier stiffer rim or better hub. Frame flex is harder to do anything about, but if you're on a FS bike going to a thru-bolt rear wheel might be an improvement. I went from a 26" rear wheel with Saint hub and Bontrager 28mm duster rim to a Hadley hub with 650b Flow rim, and the noticeable boost in stiffness was surprising.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    I trashed a 2.1 Pacenti Neo Moto recently and put an old backup 2.1 Nevegal on until I get a replacement Neo. It was a good reminder that the Nevegal's side lugs stick out farther and come a lot closer to rubbing on the sides than the higher volume Neomoto does. These are both 2.1's I'm talking about, and both mounted on a 28mm wide Flow rim.... So I'd say give the 2.1 Neo Moto a try. I like it alot better anyway for it's fatter volume, faster rolling, less squirmy feel, and MUCH better/more predictable feel when cornering hard.
    Thank you for the input, much appreciated. That sounds like great! I need a less sticky thing than my Nevegal, and moreover, a narrower side lug wall for improved clearance. Any clues on how much does that Pacenti cost (I am from South America)?

Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Also, If you've got 2mm clearance, but it's rubbing when you're riding, you may see if you can tune out some flex that's going on somewhere. Spoke tension in your rear wheel could be low and allowing excess wheel flex, or maybe you could use a heavier stiffer rim or better hub. Frame flex is harder to do anything about, but if you're on a FS bike going to a thru-bolt rear wheel might be an improvement. I went from a 26" rear wheel with Saint hub and Bontrager 28mm duster rim to a Hadley hub with 650b Flow rim, and the noticeable boost in stiffness was surprising.
    I saw my rear wheel and as it is brand new, i've noticed it has some spoke tension flex, but it can be easily fixed. But still, the rear tire moves for itself no matter how true the rim is. I have had many Nevegals, Excavators, El Moco and other Kenda tires, and all of them tend to be wobbling like that.
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Focus Thunder 650b tuned

mtbr member
    I've been able to get Nevegals for around $40 US, but more like $60 for the NeoMoto.... regardless, IMO the 2.1 Neo is so much better than the 2.1 Nevegal that I'll take that $20 hit every time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've ridden nevegals over the last few years and absolutely love them. I'll probably be running the same on my upcoming 650 build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlam86 View Post
    I've ridden nevegals over the last few years and absolutely love them. I'll probably be running the same on my upcoming 650 build.
    I do love the nev, the thing is, it barely fits on the rear and it works like a leg eater on the rear.

On the front it is just awesome
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Focus Thunder 650b tuned