Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Let's ride SuperModerator

Official 650b fork thread

I'll start us off, and will constantly update this list.

Let's try and keep this thread to just the facts about which forks work/clear for 650b wheels.

The official height of the Panceti tire is 702mm. That means if you go measure your axle to bottom of arch/brace of the fork and get 356mm or more, you should clear. I'd like 5mm+ of clearance. The tire may still bottom on the fork crown at FULL travel, but that can be remedied by a spacer in the internals.
    I put all forks that are suspected to clear in the 'clear but may need a spacer' listing until someone confirms the tire clears the crown as well as the arch.

Forks that work out of the box:
    WhiteBrothers 650b forks
    2008 Fox RLC/FX
    Any 29" Suspension fork
    Any Rigid fork with a AC longer than 360mm
    manitou R7 (2006 tested)
    All Fox Forx (some forks may rub so slightly on the bottom of the crown if all the air is removed)

Forks that clear but may need internal bushings/shimming:
    RS Pike
    RS Psylo
    Cannondale Lefty
    XFusion Velvet
    Maverik DUC and SC32
    Manitou Stance
    Manitou Nixon Comp 145
    RST Capa T26 ML
    SR Suntour XCM

Forks that don't clear:
    RS Revelation
    RS Reba 2005 (wheel clamps in, but Neo tire is rubbing the arch)
    Last edited by rensho; 11-17-2008 at 03:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Reports have the Rockshox Psylo forks clearing just fine.

I think some older and maybe current Shermans and Nixons are fine

XFusion Velvet is fine and even okay'd by X-Fusion to use

And of course 29er forks clear

White Brothers have the only 650b specific forks available right now as far as I know.

A Lefty would work of course, as would the Maverick forks either the dual crown or single crown. I also suspect that there are other inverted dual crown forks that will work as well such as older White Brothers forks and what not.

I wonder if a Shiver Single crown would work?

Can you tell I've pondered this a bit!?

nothing relevant to say
    My List I've found to fit.
    1. Maverick SC32
    2. X-Fusion Velvet
    3. Manitou Stance
    4. Manitou Nixon Comp 145
    5. RST Capa T26 ML
    6. SR Suntour XCM
    7. Any 29" Suspension fork
    8. Haven't found a Fox fork that doesn't fit, yet.

www.derbyrims.com
    Word of caution: A suddenly locked or slowed front wheel from tire to crown rub in a situation that bottoms the fork travel would cause a terribly bad crash.

The Fox Vanilla 32/140 fork, with 650b Neo-Moto tire, rubs the crown very lightly when I removed my coil spring and put as much weight as I could on the fork's bottom-out bumper.

As everyone knows who rides one of these Fox forks they are very over sprung and nearly impossible to get within 1/2 inch of bottom travel. The possibility of interference when riding this fork is very unlikely. A 5mm thick washer under the internal bottom-out bumpers would prevent any mechanical possibility of interference.

Any fork that is not designed for 650b should be checked for tire-to-crown interference by removing the coil or air pressure; and if itís close then monitor your max ride-time travel using a zip-tie or o-ring around an upper stanchion.

nothing relevant to say
    Thank you Derby. I'm not very excited about this thread, FWIW.

Bike Shop Girl
    Apr 2004
    Yeh I agree.. there should be a "cleared" and "compatible" section.
    Bike Shop Girl Empowering women in cycling

TranceX Rider
    Nice initiative, Rensho! Yeah, for starting this thread! This would be a big help for us 650B aspirants! And to CH as well for adding up some more to the list!!! To Derby for the tips! Well, we only need some categorization...

Keep it up, guys!

Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

TNC
    noMAD man
    I'll add the Fox Van 36 and the '08 Nixon 160...both in the 20mm axle format. Both have adequate arch and crown clearance.

mtbr member
    I received a photo via email of a Neomoto paired up with a Psylo - it is the most arch to tire clearance on a 26" wheeled fork that I've seen to date. I will ask the emailer if I can have his permission to post up the photo. Impressive is what came to mind when I saw the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    My List I've found to fit.
    1. Maverick SC32
    2. X-Fusion Velvet
    3. Manitou Stance
    4. Manitou Nixon Comp 145
    5. RST Capa T26 ML
    6. SR Suntour XCM
    7. Any 29" Suspension fork
    8. Haven't found a Fox fork that doesn't fit, yet.
    Thanks CH, I'll add those.

If folks have pics of tires hitting crowns, I can post those up as guides for people thinking about setting up their forks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Wanted to point out there there are four 650b specific forks from White Brothers. Again I got mine (a Fluid 130 with a thru axle) and am super psyched...

Fluid 130 and 100mm (both are air only, the 100 can be bought quick release or thru axle).

Then their Magic 80 and 100mm for the XC guys...

More info here... I can 100% confirm these are their forks for 650b. White Brothers are doing pretty well with the 29er crowd, sort of a resurgence IMO and I think some recent design changes have made them a pretty good contender IMO...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    A 5mm thick washer under the internal bottom-out bumpers would prevent any mechanical possibility of interference.

Adding another bumper may prevent the damper from refilling with oil after reassembly. You may need to "port" the washer to allow the oil to flow back into the damper on the right leg.

Ask me how I know

mtbr member
    When I go 650b, I'd like to buy a fork that encourages manufacturers to produce more forks for this wheel size. I wonder which purchase would be more effective, buying a 26" or 29" fork strictly because it fits a 27.5er and in hopes of encouraging that company to produce a dedicated model, or buying a dedicated 650b fork to support a company that has already made the leap?

I wonder if it would be possible for a manufacturer to produce 650b-specific replacement lowers that would retrofit a 26" fork to fit 27.5"?

Not dead yet, just playin
    Quote Originally Posted by eMcK
    Adding another bumper may prevent the damper from refilling with oil after reassembly. You may need to "port" the washer to allow the oil to flow back into the damper on the right leg.

Ask me how I know
    Ok, "how do you know"?

Are you saying that a raised bottom out bumper presses up against the base valve such that it is sealed off? In that case the lockout wouldn't work correctly (no blowoff)..

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    When I go 650b, I'd like to buy a fork that encourages manufacturers to produce more forks for this wheel size. I wonder which purchase would be more effective, buying a 26" or 29" fork strictly because it fits a 27.5er and in hopes of encouraging that company to produce a dedicated model, or buying a dedicated 650b fork to support a company that has already made the leap?

I wonder if it would be possible for a manufacturer to produce 650b-specific replacement lowers that would retrofit a 26" fork to fit 27.5"?
    Its not really the lowers that cause problems. Aside from a few forks (for example the Revelation), there is enough clearance for a 650B since manufacturers plan for beefy 26" tires + a good bit of mud.

The problem lies in the axle-to-crown distance when the fork is fully compressed. Fixing this doesn't require new lowers, it requires new uppers. Either the stanchions need to be ~5mm longer to make the fork bottom out before the crown hits the tire or the crown needs to be ~5mm taller in it's center section to still clear the tire at bottom out.

The stanchion fix is the easiest since it doesn't require new casting molds at the factory. The downside is you loose a little bit of travel.
    op
    Last edited by ohpossum; 03-18-2008 at 08:38 AM.
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

TNC
    noMAD man

Gotta start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF

You make a good point about wanting manufacturers to run with the ball and produce forks and frames, but that can be a tall order. I'm sure that before they spend what would probably be a decent amount of money and resources to strike out on an untried format, they'd like to know if there's much of an interest level and an actual resulting performance return. This is where we as consumers and passionate MTB'ers often have to step out and show our interest by trying out what is available...including getting creative when necessary... and then reporting on those results. It's a lot easier for me as an individual to buy a wheel and tire setup, find a fork it will fit in, and then see how things turn out.

Please understand that I'm not attacking your concept here, as I too would love to have some manufacturers just step out with dedicated 650B options quickly and in numbers providing lots of good choices. But that's just not the way it usually works...and perhaps understandably so. That's the bad news. The good news, however, is the fact that 650B isn't the leap of engineering and perhaps even manufacturing issue that the 29'er format presented, so indeed, manufacturers will hopefully be able to wade into these waters without the fear of large financial commitments and the potentially larger fiscal losses that could follow. Your suggestion of slightly modified lowers to accomodate 650B is one such example of the potentially simplified possibilities with which 650B could be addressed in some fork designs. Also some forks could probably use modified stanchions, since we're not talking about changing travel necessarily, just clearance. It's apparent that there may some relatively simple and creative approaches to the issue in many cases.

If enough people try 650B with the existing products available, and it becomes clear that the concept has legs in terms of an actual increase in performance, the manufacturers will most assuredly follow with products to support it. IMO the 29'er format has effectively "plowed the ground" with the concept of stepping outside the box of wheel size convention, so hopefully the 650B challenge won't appear as imposing to manufacturers. I still think it will take more of us as riders running with what's available and reporting our results in a meaningful way to reveal the viability of the concept. Though I'm convinced of the worth of the 650B setup, even though I've only experienced some extensive use on the front wheel/tire setup, it may take a bit more convincing on the part of manufacturers before they are willing to step out seriously. On the other hand, it's been fairly impressive IMO how quickly interest has developed. Bicyclists as a whole have been notoriously entrenched in certain concepts of "what works best", but even that seems to be changing thankfully.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am not someone with a long history (multiple years) with MTB technology but in the last year I have been full fledged commited and have quite a bit of time on a variety of bikes and forks. I have been told that in the past White Brothers forks have been moderate or have been having some reliability issues. But it seems particularly in the last 1-2 years and particularly with their 110mm and 135mm 29er forks, and taking that technology from those forks and applying it to their other forks, that they have gotten themselves fairly dialed. Over in the 29er section they are all the rave, people are having no problem spending the $870MSRP for some White Brothers forks there. People are reporting "this is the best fork I've ever had" and "super plush" etc. I probably come across as biased (but I don't think so) because I just built their new web site and I have a few for sale, but I gained a real understanding for their technology while building their site and am super impressed. My impressions were only compounded when I actually recieved my first fork from them.

So I wrote up my impressions here:
    White Brothers 650b Fork / My Decision to Go 650b

I am also 110% pleased with the weight of their Fluid 130 thru-axle (4.2lbs) which is not touched by a Fox or any other thru-axle model on the market. I also think the 29er guys, who are running through axle in 32mm stanchion XC/AM versus dedicated AM forks, are on to something because the axle is so laterally stiff. There is slight weight increase (usually about .4lbs) with the thru-axle but also some weight savings in the hub with less required material. So that is how I ordered this WB 130 as well (I can't remember but I might have been able to order it with QR), also taking from the 29er crowd. Again 650b is only a hair larger than 26" so I don't think the added lateral stiffness is necessary like a 29er fork. But I don't think it will hurt anything at all either...

So, I am extremely pleased to run it. I could sell the fork and buy a Fox easily and it would fit more or less, be more of a "commercial" common fork, but I am 100% excited to run this White Brothers fork, with pride, it is really a no brainer for me...

Hey guys, I'll try and keep this thread to just the FORKS that work for 650b. I don't want to fill this thread with a whole bunch of discussion around which fork mfg/style/type/design I like best. All good, but not for this thread.

Thanks for understanding.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Due to some of the real and perceived issues with past White Bros. forks, it was probably a good move on their part to jump in and embrace an area of application that other more established manufacturers might be hesitant to participate in. If done right, it could highlight their product and company to a degree that could not be achieved in the mainstream fork categories...overall probably a smart move if they can provide quality, durability, and performance.

I think the weight issue on the WB fork can be matched somewhat by the Manitou Minute series. The Minute 29'er at 120mm weighs the same as the WB, and that with a 20mm axle, so there may be some competition on the weight front. True...the Minute is not a dedicated 650B fork at the moment, but it's apparent that light weight, bigger wheels, and 20mm axles are very achieveable.

Yeah, it's somewhat of a debate about standard QR vs. 20mm axles on forks in the 4-5 inch category. Personally I'm totally sold on the 20mm axle for anything other than true XC applications, but the old standard QR works fairly well in most cases for most people as long as travel stays at 5" or less. Where and how one rides will affect this issue quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Hey guys, I'll try and keep this thread to just the FORKS that work for 650b. I don't want to fill this thread with a whole bunch of discussion around which fork mfg/style/type/design I like best. All good, but not for this thread.

Thanks for understanding.
    I don't think this particularly makes sense especially if you are editing the first post in the thread to include new info...

I would suggest, regardless, adding the White Brothers forks as mentioned to the list. Doesn't make sense that they are not on there IMO as they are designed for 650b. I would also create category that says "fits" but some rubbing issues such as the Fox forks. There are photos of the Fox fork rubbing issues in the sticky thread currently...

Help me out. Which WB forks do you want me to list? I don't see the point in listing WB 650 forks for obvious reasons.

I added another category above in the OP.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Help me out. Which WB forks do you want me to list? I don't see the point in listing WB 650 forks for obvious reasons.

I added another category above in the OP.
    Cool. I don't see the reason not to list it because people may not be aware that WB offers 650b specific forks. I think if the list were to be competitive and made into a sticky, people would look at it as a definitive info source so they might overlook WB if it were not listed. So that is my thought. The forks are:

WB Magic-650b 80
    WB Magic-650b 100
    WB Fluid-650b 100
    WB Fluid-650b 130

I don't have good firsthand Fox info but that info should come. The WB forks definitely 100% work out of the box possibly making them the only one out of the box with no crown-hitting issues?

Thanks, Andre

edit

mtbr member
    Here is a photo of a 650b with Neomoto and a Psylo XC fork for everyone to gander at. Photo courtesy of KHenry. Loads of room from what I can see.

Wow, thanks for the photo. That is a lot of tire clearance.

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast