Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Now This Is Monster-Cross!

Nice job BikeMan!

http://www.bikeman.com/content/view/1888/147/

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

Harmonius Wrench

Caveat

The clearances are tight, especially between the chainstays where there is only a couple of millimeters to spare. The wheel needs to be dished correctly and spin true, and the tire must be centered on the rim, but it fits
    (Quoted from the Bikeman 650B blog)

With all due respect: Yes it fits, but the clearances are a bit too tight with that particular tire. I'd rather have a 650B X 1.8"er in there, have some extra mud/dirt clearances, and keep my paint intact.

But that's just me maybe.

Still, a great looking rig with the fatter rubber.
    Last edited by Guitar Ted; 01-31-2009 at 01:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    That is awesome. Good job Bikeman, the La Cruz looks like it was made for 650b.

Witty McWitterson
    Wow. That really is cool. I really like how versatile many of the salsa frames are.
    Just a regular guy.

rd3
    mtbr member
    Might work better using the same tires but with a skinnier rim, those Blunts are pretty wide. A couple more mm to each side could be gained.

nothing relevant to say
    The Dyad or CR18 would be a nice alternate rim...

mtbr member
    No kidding, I dont know what the cost is on a bike like that but I was thinking what a perfect everyday bike.

Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Wow. That really is cool. I really like how versatile many of the salsa frames are.

fux
    Scooterist
    I would like to do that on my la-cruz!

Where do I find skinnier 650b rims?
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That's a bad-ass looking bike! Assuming you have access to the right kind of fireroads/trails, that would be a really interesting bike to ride.
    All Mountain: Ventana El Chamuco
    XC: Turner Flux

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fux
    I would like to do that on my la-cruz!

Where do I find skinnier 650b rims?
    How skinny do you want? Rivendell's got a bunch of 18mm's http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=18-188

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by rd3
    Might work better using the same tires but with a skinnier rim, those Blunts are pretty wide. A couple more mm to each side could be gained.
    Hmmm.....maybe it would. Anybody try it? It would be nice to have some sort of example before you pull the trigger, only to find out you're coming to a "grinding" halt in the mud.

I know that I'd be looking for something with generous clearances for what I'd be doing with a bike like that, but it would depend on the end users preferences.

Of course, if you go into the 20mm wide rim range, you start to give up some other desirable attributes of having a big, voluminous tire, so one has to be a bit careful.

I would think 22-24mm rims would be ideal, if it gained you enough clearance. If you had to pull back to anything narrower with the rim choice, I think the loss of stability in lower pressure situations outweighs the benefit gained by getting a narrower stance with the tires. In that case, another, more suitable bike might be the answer. Or, a narrower tire yet, of course.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't have a Rawland, but as for tire clearance they are well thought out in that regard. Very roomy.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I wish there was a way to try all the ideas that get tossed around on this forum. That bike looks sweet, but I agree that the clearances are probably too narrow- even with a narrower tire. Especially since my super power is knocking my wheels out of true.

bike geek
    Wow I really like that idea Kirk. I have a 53cm La Cruz with 2 wheelsets...the stock XT/Delgado set wears the cross tires (32c this time of year since the bike wears full fenders in the winter which will come off in April at which time 38c knobbies will go on), and I have a set of Mavic Speedcities for my 32c road tires that I use for commuting.

Those 650b wheels look great in the bike, and if I could get a higher volume tire for my offroad wheelset by switching to 650b, that'd be pretty cool.

Oh yeah, and I think I need to get myself a red headset and white bar tape, that looks great on the bike. Mine still has the stock silver S3 headset and black tape. That one looks miles better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Salsa Bikes are versatile. Now if only someone would make a 2.3" balloon smooth tread tire in the 650b size, I wouldn't be limited to the 42 demi-balloons currently on hand. Sweet setup there!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tamjam
    Wow I really like that idea Kirk. I have a 53cm La Cruz with 2 wheelsets...the stock XT/Delgado set wears the cross tires (32c this time of year since the bike wears full fenders in the winter which will come off in April at which time 38c knobbies will go on), and I have a set of Mavic Speedcities for my 32c road tires that I use for commuting.

Those 650b wheels look great in the bike, and if I could get a higher volume tire for my offroad wheelset by switching to 650b, that'd be pretty cool.

Oh yeah, and I think I need to get myself a red headset and white bar tape, that looks great on the bike. Mine still has the stock silver S3 headset and black tape. That one looks miles better.

The bar tape maybe, but not the red headset. The silver is very classy. I'm with you on the fenders though. They're a godsend in the mud, snow, rain, etc.

Any updates on the mini moto? I'd be tempted to throw a 38c on the rear and a mini-moto 650b on the front and go hit some single track.