Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Delirious Tuck

Norco Sight killer b... frame only???? Or similar?

I'm digging the norco sight killer b geo, tighter stays, sweet hta, comes in XL.

Can't seem to find any info on whether or not there is a frame only option?

Background: I am planning on a 650B/27.5 build this year as my new rig for trail duties with some x-stuntery/lite-AM (think skinnies, ~4' drops)... Want something pedal friendly, the 140mm fox 32 or a travel reduced 160mm fox 34 would be perfect.

Have an XTR build kit I'll transfer over so no need for a complete.

Thoughts on a solid XL frame only option? Burner and Foes aren't too bad but they have long wheelbases...

(have a bad taste from Banshee or else would go spitfire)
    Last edited by thefriar; 01-28-2013 at 01:28 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sight is a no go, sorry. Their Range 160mm frame yes.

Other 140mm options as frame only are the Ventana Zeus and yes, the new redesigned V2 Spitfire with bearings in all the pivots now vs the bushing fiasco. KS Link is really good (tested a new Prime). I see a Spitty in my future if I can get my Jamis sold.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    I'm digging the norco sight killer b geo, tighter stays, sweet hta, comes in XL.

Can't seem to find any info on whether or not there is a frame only option?

Background: I am planning on a 650B/27.5 build this year as my new rig for trail duties with some x-stuntery/lite-AM (think skinnies, ~4' drops)... Want something pedal friendly, the 140mm fox 32 or a travel reduced 160mm fox 34 would be perfect.

Have an XTR build kit I'll transfer over so no need for a complete.

Thoughts on a solid XL frame only option? Burner and Foes aren't too bad but they have long wheelbases...

(have a bad taste from Banshee or else would go spitfire)
    I looked at buying a Norco frame only last year and the price was way higher than I thought it would be. I was surprised because complete builds seem to be reasonably priced. I guess from the response above, the Sight is not available frame only anyway.

Knolly is supposed to be releasing a 27.5 Endorphin this year but not sure where the wheelbase will end up. Regardless of the wheelbase, I have no doubt it will be a ripper...
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post

Other 140mm options as frame only are the Ventana Zeus and yes, the new redesigned V2 Spitfire with bearings in all the pivots now vs the bushing fiasco. KS Link is really good (tested a new Prime). I see a Spitty in my future if I can get my Jamis sold.

Turner Burner is available as a frame, too, FWIW.

If you're sold on the Sight, buy the lowest priced one and sell the kit. You'll probably come out better than you would paying retail for the frame only. I almost did this with the Rocky Mountain Altitude since the aluminum version isn't available frame only...

mtbr member
    Just get the Sight Killer B-3 complete and swap everything and sell the parts. They are not worth much but at least get some of your money back or keep for spares.

Someone posted that the Range was available as frame only and the price was close to the cost of the complete Range 3. Probably would need to swap the rear shock too.

Delirious Tuck
    Appreciate the responses.

bubba...I'm on the list for the EndorphinB but timing is the big question, I'm selling my DW Sultan and need a trail bike to fill the gap.

Burner looks sweet, I've had both generations of the Sultan and Turner CS is awesome.

I'm 5 months into waiting on a warranty replacement frame from Banshee, the Spitfire would be perfect "placeholder", but after knowing the Rune issue was/is common and its a 5 month wait... Don't think I'll be going back to banshee for another 5-10 years.

Maybe the Sight B-3 is way to go and then part it out. Burner would be a "permanent" frame whereas the Sight I'd be okay parting with when the Knolly comes out.

Anyone know the i2i and stroke on the Sight?

Delirious Tuck
    The Ventana looks interesting too, and US made!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hmm... My LBS just got Norco's stuff in today and they had two Sight Killer B frames there. So I would check with your LBS first before passing on that as an option.

Not sure exactly what the eye to eye is but it I know it's a standard length. My shop has a Devinci Dixon demo bike setup with a DB Air and they said the DB Air would bolt right up to the Killer B frame.

Delirious Tuck
    Putting in a call to the "local" dealer (who is an hour and 15 min away...)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

I just saw this on Norco site. last item below the build options

Sight Killer B Trail Mountain Bikes Norco Bicycles

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim22 View Post

Hmmm, don't recall the frameset being there last time I checked.

Good to see but $2,625 is carbon territory (US dollars it's more right now). You can get the new Banshee Spitfire frame for $1,800.
    Perhaps better off buying a complete bike and selling off the parts you don't want...if you can find one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

So the B-3 build is 150 dollars more than the frame? I would get the B-3 build, put all my XTR parts on it, keep the "new" parts in a bin or sell them, buy a CCDB and call it good. Now, if you dont want to do the swap, the B-1 frame set is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Weird, the frameset does not show up for US English but if I switch over to CAN English the frameset shows up. That seems outrageously priced for an aluminum frame. I didn't ask at the shop what they were charging for a frame but I can't imagine it was near that much. The one at the shop didn't include a Reverb though.

Delirious Tuck
    That is odd the frame is only 150 less than the bottom build... and odd the frame isn't available in the US and is less than the Canadian frame by $225 at first blush.

Anyone know what the Shock size is on the Sight Killer B? Maybe go with the strip and sell option and get a fork for it.

Banshee CS is beyond horrible, won't go near them again unless I'm getting hook up of the century. (6 months into waiting on a warranty Rune)

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    hey, I know it's a little under in sus than what you were thinking, and they are kinda thought of as a "cheapo" brand,.. but have you tried a KHS sixfifty656? chain stays are about the same but wheel base is a GOOD bit shorter and I did get to ride one and got to say the only full squish bike I've riddin that pedaled better was actually my old K2 Apache. (thou it did have some nice upgrades on it including shock/fork over stock) The head angle is nicer too as Personally for around here I find ones like the Norco (and janis and others) have TOO slack of a head angle and end up being wheelie horses when climbing... the head angle on the KHS is right inbetween them and a regular XC type bike
    You are a good bit more "aggressive" a rider than I am but I think you'd like it. they actually have them out on the sand bar and only a few miles from the BP-Port Jeff ferry... (plus if you wait till it opens you can ride Rocky Point, which you wont regret!! bring the Black Sheep there if ya still got it)

when I get enough cash up for a whole new bike it'll probably be what i get...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Delirious Tuck

Norco Sight killer b... frame only???? Or similar?

Tom - good call on KHS, 6500 seems like this years version with 140mm travel. Looks sweet and build kit seems a step up from B3. I still have the Sheep, never getting rid of that, work of art it is.

I am gonna go with a Fox 34 160 float and step it down to 140. I have a build kit I will flip over to whatever I get so focus is cheapest frame as placeholder for something else that's coming down the line in the next twelve months. A B3 or the KHS would work since I can probably scalp the build kits to pay for new fork and then flip the frame down the line.

Only draw back with KHS 6500 vs Sight B is that KHS stays are about half inch longer.

I am trying to find the perfect XC/trail bike for the aggressive/DH oriented rider and shorter stays may take the day...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I am gonna go with a Fox 34 160 float and step it down to 140.
    1st, do you know if that's possible to drop it to 140mm from 160mm? 2nd, are you gonna use the 26" 34 Float or the 650B 34 Float? I'm really curious about the 26" 34 Float and what clearance it has with 650B tires. It's A/C height is 7mm taller than a 32mm Float and I'm wondering if the bottom of the crown clearance at full bottom out might just allow the use of the taller 650B tires without a shim needed? Of course if you do use the 26" fork the offset won't be optimized for a 650B wheel but perhaps not a deal breaker.

2013 Product Specifications

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Ya. Might want to really ride a short stay bike with a long fork and slac head. It basically pushes your weight center back and high on the rear wheel so once again you end up with a wheelie machine when climbing. And takes weight off the front tire when cornering so it skides out easier. Short stays are good for twitchy steering/Xc riding but when you get a longer throw squish bike adding a bit of stay actually evens you weight back out between the 2 tires. But ya it makes for a "school bus" length feel

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Ya. Might want to really ride a short stay bike with a long fork and slac head. It basically pushes your weight center back and high on the rear wheel so once again you end up with a wheelie machine when climbing. And takes weight off the front tire when cornering so it skides out easier. Short stays are good for twitchy steering/Xc riding but when you get a longer throw squish bike adding a bit of stay actually evens you weight back out between the 2 tires. But ya it makes for a "school bus" length feel
    Your correct on almost all accounts but it doesn't have to have a school bus feel. My Jamis Dakar B2 has 17.7" stays and I find the bike as agile as can be. It's weird as you would think it wold be a real sled but quite the contrary. Perhaps because they kept the wheelbase short. I think people get waaaay to hung up on having the shortest possible stays and stupid low BB heights. Longer stays are your friend for climbing and aiding in stability. They do however make it a bit more difficult to wheelie.

Delirious Tuck
    34/650b... Fox has 10/20/30mm spacers for the Floats to step them down. Easy to do, 10/15min. I had a 34/29er that was 120mm but pop the spacer and its 140mm.

YMMV and geo is so personal but...

My take on BB heights: its regional, in New England a low BB height is a pain, you'll get pedal strikes even if you're a good technical rider because the rocks and roots are just there. If you're on a DH sled with properly tuned suspension, the cornering the dropped BB provides is amazing and if you're carrying speed the pedal strikes aren't an issue because you're rarely hammering a DH bike in a technical section (I hope).

Short stays: If you are running a slightly higher BB, which is a plus in New England, short stays really let you dig the back end in through tight turns, and give you a tighter turning radius. They let you pop a manual and direct the bike in the air much easier vs. longer stays (regardless of wheelsize).

I think long stays for stability and climbing are a bit of a myth leftover from the days of "geometry in-flux" period of mountain biking where you had to ride off the back going down to keep the front wheel plowing over stuff lest you be tossed OTB; same thing with riding super steep rollers or riding up super steeps. You had more room to plant you weight back without fear of passing rear axle and looping out (bruised tail bone please?)... I've looped out on a short stay slack STA bike climbing up a steep rock face.

A slacker HTA, super tight stays, and a steeper STA is much more stable than a steeper HTA and longer stays given same TT lengths (case in point my Turner Sultan 11 vs. a Nicolai Helius AM, both 29ers both have same TT length but Nic has slacker HTA and inch shorter stays and the handling is night and day between the two bikes, i.e. Nic has much less "wind up" through tight stuff and better downs/"flickability"). You get to stay in the center of the bike, up and down, I've been trying to unlearn the off the back on my newest bikes as you give up speed and handling on the new Geo by doing so...

hence, I think for a trail bike, the range combo of slack, decent BB height, and tight stays is win win win.

mtbr member
    34/650b... Fox has 10/20/30mm spacers for the Floats to step them down. Easy to do, 10/15min. I had a 34/29er that was 120mm but pop the spacer and its 140mm.
    I don't think that is true. I was told by Fox that new CTD forks can only be reduced down to 150mm. They use a new travel spacer system.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    I don't think that is true. I was told by Fox that new CTD forks can only be reduced down to 150mm. They use a new travel spacer system.
    This is what I thought as well and why I asked. Something about replacing the air spring rod to change travel. I'm also curious if you can really get it down to 140mm travel. The 26" X-Fusion Slant 34mm should be available very soon and that will adjust down easily but will it clear a 650B wheel is the question. True 650B Slant wont be available till mid year.

Delirious Tuck
    Interesting on that Trees, I have a couple contacts in suspension world and will try to sus it out. If not 150MM isn't a bad compromise to a 140mm rear.

~~~~~~~~
    True 650B Slant wont be available till mid year.
    ugh, could have sworn it was listed on their site then it wasn't, wonder what happened?

Delirious Tuck
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Its true. only 10mm of adjustment, in any case most frames allow a 10% deviation from spec up or down and maintain warranty so 150mm should work for a Sight B-3 I'd guess. Now just to figure the i2i on the Sight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast