mtbr member
    Apr 2012

norco sight chainrings

yo whats up fellow bikers ,,,I have a bit of a problem ,, ok here we go , I have a Norco sight its geared 2x10 (24/32),, the trouble im having is lately whenever I switch into the granny gear (smaller) the chain tends to ride the chain around getting jam between the frame and ring the only way to loosen it is to reverse pedal a half revolution(freewheel),,I have replaced the chain ,took it to my lbs they were unable to resolve the problem so my next step is to replace the chainrings........................................ ..has anyone dealt with a situation like this before in desperate need of some advice. thanks in advance everyone
    Ride hard everytime....or take up hiking...........lol

mtbr member
    This may have been done already, but it just sounds like an adjustment problem with the derailleur.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Common causes of chainsuck:

Damaged chainring.... Look CLOSELY (or feel) for small burrs on chain ring teeth, or more obvious bent teeth

damaged chain

Really dirty/muddy drivetrain

sticky OEM packing grease on chain...clean it and put some good lube on there like Rock N Roll

Chain too long, or

Anything else that would allow excessive chain slap

Poor chain management technique... ie, flying into a rock garden in a small small combination, when you could get the same gear ratio from a big big combo, or worse yet coasting into a high speed rock garden in a small small combo ...see excessive chain slap

Poor shifting technique.... You'll have lots more chain suck if you're habitually forcing front ring down shifts when you're already straining on the steepest part of a climb, vs looking ahead and shifting in advance when the loads are lighter

Some chain rings are just not as good as others. What cranks/rings came on your bike?

And some suspension designs are unforgiving. Rule out all the obvious problems like bent teeth....too long chain.

Hope that helps. Chain suck sucks when ya got it

mtbr member
    'Bacon nailed it...for me it usually just took a little filing on the little chainring to take off the burrs and things were all good. If it is really bad, a small chainring is a cheap investment, relative to a gouged frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    thanks everyone for the helpful tips and advice ,,,bacon I have a fsa comet mega 2x10 24/38 drivetrain , yes I have replace the chain it came wit to a shimano xt chain , I had my lbs install it as that's where I brought the bike from .I did notice the comment about selecting the right time to shift into gear ,, I usually shift on flats or no pressure situations (being cautious not to break anything...lol) ,,,,,bent granny gear(small chainring) not going to rule it out but I run a ethirtenn trs bash guard and tensioner setup so kinda hard for me imagine that gear coming in contact with much ...only other I can imagine is the dirt , I do wash the bike after every 1 or 2 rides but get a bit nervous when it comes to the drivechain , cause I was instructed not to removed grease and oil from that area(I use reg. simple green with water as a cleaner).....MAN I don't know maybe I gotta live with it ,,, ran into someone who rides Norco same problem & he works at a bike shop lol............thanks again everyone

mtbr member
    No way, dude! Don't just live with it. Something's amiss.

I've never owned any FSA cranks myself, but I've heard negative comments about their rings and shifting performance from people who have. I would be inclined to remove the rings from the cranks and give them a close inspection...maybe a little filing as RRoadie suggested, or consider replacing them with Shimano rings... I run a 24/36 Shimano setup that is very affordable from Universal Cycles... Shimano has 24/38 combos too.
    Hopefully your cranks use a standard bolt circle diameter.... some of the FSA stuff does not.
    Shout if you want more info on this stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    hey guys quick follow up here ,, I did take u guys advice and did these steps 1. removed crankset , 2. removed small chainring (noticed 1 of the screws was loose !!) 3. use med grade sandpaper and over all the teeth & sides of chainring . 4. reassembled everything with some fresh grease. so far I haven't had any hang ups thanks a million everybody.i was trying to figure out how to break it to da wife that I was about to spend like 400.buccks replacing crankset ...lol...thanks again gguys