Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

Norco Range Killer B Three - the semi-affordable bike

Having had enough time reviewing expensive unobtanium I asked for an affordable 27.5" wheeled bike to review. Thanks to Norco and Dustan Sept for understanding that sometimes it's good to review bikes for the ordinary Jill

Here's the Norco Range Killer B Three -- Range Killer B All Mountain Mountain Bikes Norco Bicycles

650b-27.5 blah blah

Toe blessing

Weight with pedals

Lots of clearance - Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 - Maxxis HR2s also to be tried

Funny that Xfusion is spec'ed on the lowest end Range as I view Xfusion to be an upgrade. X Fusion 02 RL (HV high volume) air shock

X Fusion Vengence RC 160 mm travel - 20mm fork

Non-drive side

Syntace rear end and SRAM drivetrain

Pimp gold Chromag bar for photo****ting and a Thompson dropper to go later for further gear whoring.

Price is 2899 which given that the Range 1 framekit is 2720 kind of boggles the mind
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Note that the fork is more than likely the Vengeance R and NOT the RC. The RC has low compression adjustment and I do not believe the bikes actually come with that model regardless of what the Norco website says.

XFusion doesn't even market the R and after calling them up they admitted it comes on select stock bikes.

Edit: I own the B3

U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    650b-27.5 blah blahLots of clearance - Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 - Maxxis HR2s also to be triedPimp gold Chromag bar for photo****ting and a Thompson dropper to go later for further gear whoring.Price is 2899 which given that the Range 1 framekit is 2720 kind of boggles the mind
    Love to see what that HR2 looks like!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I actually really like that frame color combo. Look forward to the review with the X-Fusion stuff.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just picked up my Range B3 yesterday. I think I'm really gonna like this bike.
    For all your Range Killer B owners, here's a little tip I discovered.

What you probably know is that if you bought the B3, I think the Vengence fork can be extended to 170mm travel (which also slackens the bike a just over 0.4 degrees).

What you may not know (and don't tell Norco, they probably don't approve) is you can put a 8.75x2.75 shock on this frame which adds 17mm travel (177mm travel). It increases the BB height from 13.5 to 13.8. If you don't like the higher BB just set more sag and use the extra travel for bigger hits. A 8.75 shock steepens the HA by 0.8 degrees, which you may or may not like. I test fitted a 8.75 shock yesterday and it works great.

I'm going to extend the fork to 170mm, put on a 8.75 shock and put on an angle set to get the HA between 66 and 66.5.

It'll be a very climbable, 650b, light free-ride bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    WOW!! Did you check for contact with the seat post at full bottom out of the shock? Did you actually ride the bike yet like this?

Pics or it didn't happen

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    DirtyMartini - can you post pics of increasing the travel? I did not think that was an option on the Vengeance models...?

U $ 4 O?
    WTF. More gear whoring on this B!

U $ 4 O?
    Be careful increasing i2i, if rocker passes the CS angle bad things could happen

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Non-drive side
    That grey actually looks quite nice.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

derp
    Well considering this bike costs as much as the Bronson frame alone and probably rides as good, i dropped my Bronson order and bought one of these.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsilva View Post
    Well considering this bike costs as much as the Bronson frame alone and probably rides as good, i dropped my Bronson order and bought one of these.
    That's pretty dam funny right there! No doubt, the B3 is a great value and a really great looking bike to boot. Ride reports when you can.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Bike rides great. Easy climber and bombs the downhill. Everything you'd expect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Be careful increasing i2i, if rocker passes the CS angle bad things could happen
    This was my first concern it's okay. The force vector from the cs is well above the rocker pivot.

Bottom out linkage clearance is not an issue because the extra travel is added to the beggining of the travel, not the end so the bottom out point doesn't change. I'll post a video or pic soon.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsilva View Post
    Congrats! If I was shopping for a new bike, this would be on my short list, together with the Banshee Spitfire. Let us know how she rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I also put a 32 - 22t crank so I'm thinking of dropping the 22 ring and making it a 1 x 10. I think most stuff can be climbed in a 32 36 combo. Then I can drop all the front shifting stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zk6760 View Post
    DirtyMartini - can you post pics of increasing the travel? I did not think that was an option on the Vengeance models...?
    At this point it's still theory. I know 2012 and 2013 Vengeance are supposed to be able to be adjusted (internally) to 170mm. I called X Fusion and confirmed, however, they did say that the Vegeneance on the Range is an "OEM" fork and it's possible (but they don't know) the manufactorer made changes to the fork that prevent the 170 option. I"m gonna open up the fork soon and find out for myself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMartini View Post
    At this point it's still theory. I know 2012 and 2013 Vengeance are supposed to be able to be adjusted (internally) to 170mm. I called X Fusion and confirmed, however, they did say that the Vegeneance on the Range is an "OEM" fork and it's possible (but they don't know) the manufactorer made changes to the fork that prevent the 170 option. I"m gonna open up the fork soon and find out for myself.
    Correct - I called and the fork that comes with the B3 is the Vengeance R. I upgrade the damper to the HLR soon after.

Quick question - would too much oil in the lowers be a possible cause of stiction? After an quick tap of initial travel everything is smooth, but when I try to set my sag on the fork it doesnt move at all. Thoughts on that? I did the damper change myself so I know the oil bath is fresh.. is it possible there is an issue with the damper (maybe it is dry / I dont know much about dampers)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Correct - I called and the fork that comes with the B3 is the Vengeance R. I upgrade the damper to the HLR soon after.

Quick question - would too much oil in the lowers be a possible cause of stiction? After an quick tap of initial travel everything is smooth, but when I try to set my sag on the fork it doesnt move at all. Thoughts on that? I did the damper change myself so I know the oil bath is fresh.. is it possible there is an issue with the damper (maybe it is dry / I dont know much about dampers)?
    When you say "correct" do you mean "correct" in that the OEM B3 fork cannot be adjusted to 170mm?

Regarding your stiction I can't really say. I can't imagine it's too much oil in the lowers. Typically the lowers only take about 15ml of oil just to keep things lubed when bouncing around. Maybe you accidently hydro locked the damper? I've taken this fork apart so I don't really know. Sorry. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Damn, that's a deal!
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    When you say "correct" do you mean "correct" in that the OEM B3 fork cannot be adjusted to 170mm?

Regarding your stiction I can't really say. I can't imagine it's too much oil in the lowers. Typically the lowers only take about 15ml of oil just to keep things lubed when bouncing around. Maybe you accidently hydro locked the damper? I've taken this fork apart so I don't really know. Sorry. Good luck.
    No just that the B3 comes with an OEM fork that you can't buy online. It has rebound adjustments only (although the bike is/was listed as coming with the RC model). I haven't actually opened up my damper so I have no idea if the travel adjusts past 160.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I've just ridden it stock and haven't messed around with the mod mentioned - 7 rides so far so no real solid impressions. Hard to believe that at 2899 this is one of the less expensive offerings out there.

Whistler and Pemberton trails

Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Baby Bear is in the house
    I also put a 32 - 22t crank so I'm thinking of dropping the 22 ring and making it a 1 x 10. I think most stuff can be climbed in a 32 36 combo. Then I can drop all the front shifting stuff.
    BIKE magazine reported bobbing in the granny in their review of the Range. Does the Sight exhibit a similar behavior in the 22-t ring?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Did the HLR damper make big difference? how much was the upgrade?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Did the HLR damper make big difference? how much was the upgrade?
    The upgrade is normally $300 (basically you just buy the HLR damper straight up and swap it in). I was able to get mine for $150 due to some mis-packaged items..this is also after I complained to Norco that what they advertised is not what I received.

I'm not sure if I've even used the HSC yet as the biggest hit I've taken has been rather small and honestly your LSC is much more important. Additionally I only have about 3 clicks of HSC... which I need to further research to see if is correct or not. My LSC has ~10-12 clicks and is very noticeable from one end to the other.

At the end of the day I'd stick to rebound and LSC, but I couldn't pass up this deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast