Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

Norco Range 650b

http://www.norco.com/news/wp-content...2/07/Range.pdf

Just the marketing spew. More to come hopefully this week in between bouts of riding
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I know I'm a tool, but I NEED the killer b-1. Amazing bike....

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Mike Levy of Pinkbike on the Range - Norco Range Killer B - First Ride - Pinkbike

bi-winning
    Cool!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

derp
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Mike Levy of Pinkbike on the Range - Norco Range Killer B - First Ride - Pinkbike
    Not wanting to diss anyone but his last statement makes no sense at all
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wow, some feisty arguments in the comments section on that link. Human nature to resist change but it's soooo obvious so many of the opponents to 650B on PB haven't ridden one and haven't educated themselves at all before opening their big fat mouths with nothing but opinion to back it up. Let the 3 wheel sizes rock but I'm thinking all but the downhill bikes are gonna slowly migrate away from the 26" standard. The benefits are real for 650B.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    the bike looks awesome but what really uninspires me is that the name Killer B was already used by carver...

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsilva View Post
    Not wanting to diss anyone but his last statement makes no sense at all
    Which statement daniel? This? "The Range did perform well in its intended environment, though, but we feel that it is down to the entire package - the sorted suspension, geometry with a DH slant, and a solid frame - rather than just the bike's 650B wheels. "

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

Life Is Short
    I agree with Manny, Killer B was already used. I'd use names like
    AbsorB, Beauty, KaboB, etc Nice bikes and tip my hat off to Norco,
    that is an expensive risk but needless to say a good one and proactive
    for future business.

Regarding that PinkBike review, I'd have to disagree on the part about 650b
    and the meh type of summary. Its hard NOT to notice that you're riding a 26er.
    Its like someone NOT noticing that you've stepped on dogshit.
    I guess you have to ride 650b for a while to really appreciate it.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Do you guys really notice it? Granted it was just my first ride but it was a 1300m descent (with some odd climbs). It was so much fun I forgot what wheel size it was.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Some pictures

Life Is Short
    love that bike! you'll always have some non-believers that aren't impressed tho.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norco Range 650b-p4pb8538671-copy.jpg  

bikeboatbrewski
    ^^^ possible POTD

lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm not going to lie, I don't notice as much as I did my 29er. In fact, I have to say that I can't recommend everybody go out and drop their 26ers in favor. I do think it's a worthwhile upgrade, and I think that if one were to buy a new bike, 650b is the way to go, but it's not a critical upgrade the way a 29er can be.

It's a bit of a give and take though, part of the reason 650b works so well is that it doesn't make you realize you're riding big wheels. You know when you're on a 29er. You can address those concerns but you still have to deal with them. I don't _know_ that i'm on a 650b when I hop on my bike. It just feels like a mountain bike, and that's a very good thing. It just rolls a little better, and just like a 29er, it allows you to get away with less suspension and is therefore more efficient.

mtbr member
    LeeL,

Do you know if they plan on offering the green and blue Range as a frame only?

Thanks - Q

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Is Norco going to make any 80- 120 mm travel FS 650B bikes with tighter geometry, specifically, steeper head angles?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Qfactor03 View Post
    LeeL,

Do you know if they plan on offering the green and blue Range as a frame only?

Thanks - Q
    There'll be frame only but full details and pricing won't be finalized till later in the year. Interbike? The builds are pretty nice and 650b parts are in short supply so building that frame might be a problem!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Is Norco going to make any 80- 120 mm travel FS 650B bikes with tighter geometry, specifically, steeper head angles?
    Not that I know of. Anyone else know?

mtbr member
    I am an admitted SC fan boy, but I may have to make a switch..that is a really nice, well thought out bike.

I find it difficult to understand how anyone says it's not a noticeable difference from 26" to 650b.
    A while back, after riding 650b wheels for over a year, and prior to that 650b front/ 26" rear, I had to use 26" wheels front and rear. It was immediately apparent that they lacked the roll over grip/contact of the 650b wheels...and I had a tubeless High Roller on the front! (v. a 2.35 Neo)

orthonormal
    Do you guys really notice it? Granted it was just my first ride but it was a 1300m descent (with some odd climbs). It was so much fun I forgot what wheel size it was.
    I've been on a 29er SS since 2005 and was splitting time between that and a Turner Six Pack for a while. Sold the Turner about a year and a half ago and bought a short travel FS 29er.

I notice the difference in wheel size between 26" and 29" but I find that most comments about wheel size I read online exaggerate those differences pretty badly compared to my experience. I imagine the real difference is even less when you're comparing to an in between size.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post

I find it difficult to understand how anyone says it's not a noticeable difference from 26" to 650b.
    A while back, after riding 650b wheels for over a year, and prior to that 650b front/ 26" rear, I had to use 26" wheels front and rear. It was immediately apparent that they lacked the roll over grip/contact of the 650b wheels...and I had a tubeless High Roller on the front! (v. a 2.35 Neo)
    I think you hit the nail on the head. It's when you have to go BACK to a 26" wheel the difference becomes obvious. Going from 26 to 650B in the front first was quite noticeable to me and a seamless transition. I think for some people it's not so noticeable because the bike still feels pretty much like a 26'r unlike when you go to 29 it's a big difference. When I had to use my rear 26" wheel recently the thing felt downright harsh compared to the 650B. Front would be even worse case IMO. I think in the case of the Norco it would be great to have a back to back test with the 26" Sight vs the 650B Sight. Real world apples to bigger apples
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

derp
    Which statement daniel? This? "The Range did perform well in its intended environment, though, but we feel that it is down to the entire package - the sorted suspension, geometry with a DH slant, and a solid frame - rather than just the bike's 650B wheels. "
    My fault, i expressed myself wrong ! I should have said "his last thoughts about the bike".
    Not just this but this guy at pinkbike puts it pretty nicely,

"while physics prove that 650B wheels carry more momentum over bumps than smaller wheels, that doesn't mean that the bike as a whole will perform better overall on the trail."

Is the author on crack? Just because the wheels perform better, doesn't mean the bike will perform better? Better performing wheels are the biggest improvement you can make to ANY bike. They need to compare the bike back to back with an identical 26" wheeled bike. This really is the point of 650b. You get the better rolling, and don't notice the problems as you do with 29ers.
    He just spent the entire article saying how good the bike felt and performed yet in the end all he could think of was how many times he could say that it weren't the wheels that made the bike ride how it rode.

Has much as i enjoy reading his articles, it's hard to take any review seriously when the author is so resistive to the product he's reviewing ... to the point where he says, at this late into the size wars, that the manufacturers interest in 650b is purely driven by "curiosity".
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    I just tore down a Banshee Rune that had very little use on it and had a high end build spec. I would only need wheels/tires and fork. I'm assuming the Fox 34 160 would be the toughest component for me to find??? I'm also interested in the new Rune, but not sure about the sizing when using the 650b configuration. The 2011 that I currently have is way small for me at 6-4 due to the seat angle and reach.

Thanks for the info.

There'll be frame only but full details and pricing won't be finalized till later in the year. Interbike? The builds are pretty nice and 650b parts are in short supply so building that frame might be a problem!

Dissolved member
    So Lee do you believe that the 650b have any benefits at all or are you just catering Norco marketing to us keyboard jockeys?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast