dwt
    mtbr member
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Will they be sporting Duncan Riffle approved 'staches?

Very cool. I am so hoping the enduro thing blows up in the States.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Very cool. I am so hoping the enduro thing blows up in the States.
    I agree and I think it has. I also think that 650b is ideal for this type of racing. So does Norco apparently.

Back in the 80's when I raced, there was XC and DH. For XC you had to be genetically gifted in the VO2 max dept to be any good. For DH you had to be an acrobat with brass balls. Being neither, I was pack fodder in XC (though I got 1 or 2 age group podiums. Me and my crew won 40+ division in a 24 hour race in NH in the 90's). DH I neither had the skill, balls or the bike.

But Enduro sounds more a race for the "all rounder": true mtn biking. You have to be very fit and you have to handle a bike - but it doesn't sound like it is dominated by Lycra heart/lung animals or Red Bull skill level bike handlers. More like " damn good do it all mt. bikers". Sounds like a hoot and I wish they had it then.

If guys like Bontrager, Fisher and Ritchie start a 60+ age division now, I'm in. Not that I can ride at their level, but there are tons of whacked out baby boomers who will show.

50 something former pro riders like Overend, Tomac and Walt of Waltworks, etc etc. don't need age groups. I would bet that Tomac in his prime would be hard to touch, being XC and DH contender and winner.
    Last edited by dwt; 11-19-2012 at 02:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    50 something former pro riders like Overend, Tomac and Walt of Waltworks, etc etc. don't need age groups. I would bet that Tomac in his prime would be hard to touch, being XC and DH contender and winner.
    Walt isn't even 40 yet...
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    But Enduro sounds more a race for the "all rounder": true mtn biking. You have to be very fit and you have to handle a bike - but it doesn't sound like it is dominated by Lycra heart/lung animals or Red Bull skill level bike handlers. More like " damn good do it all mt. bikers". Sounds like a hoot and I wish they had it then.
    I think this is somewhat true, but in my experience the best enduro riders aren't pretty good at DH and pretty good at XC - they're f-ing phenomenal at BOTH! At the elite level, I think XC racers are pretty good bike handlers and downhillers are pretty darn fit. Thus, you'll see world class downhillers and cross-country riders switching over to enduro in the next few years.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I think this is somewhat true, but in my experience the best enduro riders aren't pretty good at DH and pretty good at XC - they're f-ing phenomenal at BOTH! At the elite level, I think XC racers are pretty good bike handlers and downhillers are pretty darn fit. Thus, you'll see world class downhillers and cross-country riders switching over to enduro in the next few years.
    I agree. Our local DH pro's have the fastest up AND down times on that Strava thingy. I have also seen some of the XC'ers do some angry lines on steep angled hardtails.

Elite level riders are just that...elite level riders.
    Extreme stationary biker.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover View Post

Elite level riders are just that...elite level riders.
    True in cycling, true in all sports.

Luckily, regular folks have amateur, age group, masters, junior and low category competitions to play around with for fun and bar room bragging rights.

Elites and pros are for watching and entertainment of the masses.