mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Norco fluid 7.1 ?

Hi
    I've narrowed my search down to a Norco fluid 7.1 and a devinci troy aluminum.
    Has anyone had a chance to ride the fluid? Any opinions on this?
    Thanks,
    [/URL] http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/...luid/fluid-71/ [/URL]

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Rode very nice in the parking lot. Good geo, short chain stays, great parts spec for the money. I'm debating on this bike as well. The parts kit for the most part, minus the fork, are better than the Troy. Troy obviously is more travel and more geared towards all mountain. Head angle is 67, vs 68.5 for the fluid. Fluid doesn't have a rear through axle, which is kinda a bummer. For around 2k, I don't think there's anything as good as the fluid. Norco's fsr suspension gets pretty good praise and reviews as being plush, yet still fairly efficient. I'm looking hard at the sight carbon 7.2, which is more money, but seems to be a pretty good bang for the buck carbon bike! The Rocky Mountain altitude is another beautiful beast! I'm lucky that my area has so many great bike manufacturers represented at the dealers, but it makes the decision harder.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Re: Norco fluid 7.1 ?

I'm coming to a similar conclusion after some analysis. See attached. The fluid 7.1 is coming out on top with respect to chainstay length, bottom bracket height and component spec for the price. That and ice got a great lbs I'm dealing with.

Sent from my C5502 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If I get that Norco fluid, I'm planning on dropping the small and large rings, front deraileur and shifter, and making it a 1x10......Then get a nice wheelset like a stan's arch ex........and some nice tires......I'm guessing that would put that bike around 26-27lbs or so....I'm sure with some carbon parts, it could be less. I just need to decide if my riding and skills warrant spending more than around 2-2.5k. I'm struggling with the fact that this bike only has 120mm travel, and most of the others I'm considering have 140-150.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    120mm just a few years ago was massive. With a 68.5deg head angle a fork upgrade to a pike or something would slacked it even more. The closest competition to this bike for me was the devinci troy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The Troy is nice, however, the parts kit on the xp build doesn't jump out at you other than the pike fork....I've got a giant dealer that will sell me a trance 1 at $2,800. That's a really good deal on a lot of bike with a great parts kit and even a dropper post! The high end sight aluminum is too close in price to the carbon to not save over a lb and go carbon and still get a great revelation fork on it as well, and an x-fusion dropper post. Santa cruz carbon 5010 entry build is pretty good for the buck in comparison with carbon bikes....has wtb tubeless wheels and maxis t.r. tires,...have read that the stock 130mm fork has a spacer that can be pulled to make it 140. The other bike that is really interests me is the remedy 7 for 2,800 msrp. If you made a good deal on that bike, I think it would be really good......has tubeless ready rims and a rev 140 fork

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Santa cruz bronson is awesome but out of my price range. Both the trance and remedy turned me away once I looked at the geometry on those bikes. The longer chainstay on those bikes probably makes them track better but I don't think they will be as playful on the trail. I test rode a remedy and it was a very stable platform though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The sc bantam was more my style. The single pivot will be a long lasting low maintenance durable design.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I took a tape measure to a large trance 1 and it was 47" wheelbase, and 17.5" chain stays, so yeah, it is long....even longer than the geo chart states. That's the biggest turn off for me too. Remedy's a bit shorter I think. The Rocky Altitude 730 has really short stays and has an x fusion sweep fork, which should be really good. 34mm. I called a shop that had one and they said it was every bit as good feeling as a fox 34. That 730 retails at 2,800.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hmm...interesting. Maybe I should look into the Rocky as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    I took a tape measure to a large trance 1 and it was 47" wheelbase, and 17.5" chain stays, so yeah, it is long....even longer than the geo chart states. That's the biggest turn off for me too. Remedy's a bit shorter I think. The Rocky Altitude 730 has really short stays and has an x fusion sweep fork, which should be really good. 34mm. I called a shop that had one and they said it was every bit as good feeling as a fox 34. That 730 retails at 2,800.
    dang, I was hoping the Trance wheelbase was a typo. I fit a Medium but it will be 45"+ wheelbase, seems pretty long.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'd say a med trance will be around 46" wheelbase by the tape, if the large was 47", being that the top tube is .8" shorter

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Just measured my med Trance its just a touch under 46 inch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm sure that regardless of an inch here or there, they are all capable and super fun bikes! Hard to make a bad choice this year. So many great bikes......great time to be a mountain biker!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Re: Norco fluid 7.1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    I'm sure that regardless of an inch here or there, they are all capable and super fun bikes! Hard to make a bad choice this year. So many great bikes......great time to be a mountain biker!
    Indeed it is! Everything is so dialed these days that I honestly feel like I'm splitting hairs at this point. After 20+ years, to reflect on the bikes I grew up on is amazing. The technology we have now let's us do things that were simply not possible with the bikes of yore...unless your name was wade simmons.