• 01-20-2013
    roxo56
    noob seeks advice on HT frame ideas...
    I recently built up a 650b SC Butcher with help and advice from several brilliant minds here on the forum. It turned out that I really didnt like or need the 6" travel FS AM bike after completing it but it gave me a great deal of experience in building up a bike from a frameset.
    Ive since done a lot of reading about Hardtails and did own a HT Fuji 20 years ago which I liked. It was a full rigid.

Anyway, I sold the butcher frame, Fox Float 160 forks and I have placed an order (back ordered) a 2013 SC Chameleon to add my left over parts onto along with about a 120mm fork.
    I like the Manitou Minute forks for several reasons.

I am a clydesdale, however, and I'm having second thoughts that maybe I should be getting a steel frame instead. I've read that their frames are more comfortable (flexy) for rougher trails, and perhaps tougher and less likely to fail with larger riders ?

Here are a few steel frames that I have researched that meet some basic requirements I'll need.
    Cotic Soul, 4.4 lbs (not 100% certain it's 650b able)
    Kona Explosif 650b, probably 5.5+lbs ??? (not out till this spring, but will be available as frame only)
    Soma B-Side, about 4.5lbs

I really like the Chameleon. It's a bit easier to hit my builds weight goal of 11kg using the aluminum alloy frame. The SC frame is only 1875g.
    It can be done with steel though too.
    The Butcher frame was heavy feeling at 7.5 lbs and turned into a 30#12oz bike.
    I'm not that anal about a HT being 24-26 lbs. I will run a 1x10 drivetrain. Maybe a SS in the future so sliding dropouts are important too.

So, I guess my biggest question revolves around frame material and if steel, which of those frames do you like or recommend. Or am I missing something ?
    Is aluminum too harsh a ride for a big novice who will never race ?
  • 01-20-2013
    dbhammercycle
    Choosing a frame material is like choosing a pillow. It's really all about personal choice. I ride steel because that's simply what I like and I ride to ride my bike. I like to go fast, but I don't care if I get passed. Well maybe a little. Like you I don't race and I don't intend to, unless the course is built for the race and the incentive is to ride what can't be ridden in the future. I personally ride steel because it's the material to which all other frame materials are compared and it has a long history. Aluminum is cheaper and not as repairable should the need arise. Titanium is great and doesn't rust but breaks my bank. Carbon is for race folks that weigh the possibility of catastrophic failure after a crash against the high of winning where the riders are equal and the advantage is weight. Carbon isn't cheap either. Also, let's face it, being dales means shedding body pounds matters more than bike grams.
    I can't really speak for the frames, since I haven't ridden them and don't know the geometry. Having said that I think there are others who like the Chameleon, including Mr. Pacenti godfather of mtb 650b, and you should rock what you got. Happy rollin'
  • 01-20-2013
    JMac47
    Steve Peat has no problem on one!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by roxo56 View Post
    I really like the Chameleon. It's a bit easier to hit my builds weight goal of 11kg using the aluminum alloy frame. The SC frame is only 1875g.
    Or am I missing something ? Is aluminum too harsh a ride for a big novice who will never race ?

You mentioned back order so I take it's not one from the clearence link.

Santa Cruz Bicycles' Steve Peat and Josh Bryceland on the New Chameleon - YouTube
  • 01-20-2013
    roxo56
    The butcher was a clearance bike but the chameleon is a tennis ball yellow '13 that won't be available till late Feb earliest.
  • 01-20-2013
    JMac47
    Forgot Jamis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by roxo56 View Post
    The butcher was a clearance bike but the chameleon is a tennis ball yellow '13 that won't be available till late Feb earliest.

Pretty sure you can find either an alum Nemisis or steel Dragon frame in 650B. If you already have fork, steer tube may determine which frame.

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/sla...t=Jamis+Dragon

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/201...0b-812756.html
  • 01-20-2013
    durtydurham
    I really liked the way my B-Side rode, but it broke. I'm selling my warranty frame, already have a Kona Explosif reserved.
  • 01-21-2013
    roxo56
    Who sells Jamis Dragon 650 frames ?
    Don't have a fork yet. Frame first, fork follows.
  • 01-31-2013
    veteran_youth
    4 Attachment(s)
    Can't get all of my crappy iphone pics to load for whatever reason so this will have to do. Basically a 2012 SPX kit with 650b wheel swap and 1x7 (hopefully 8 soon) drivetrain conversion.

Quite frankly, I was surprised it came out so light (<23.5 the pic won't load :mad:). Maybe I am just used to 29ers. But the 1x conversion must have shaved some weight as my Blur XC was mid-24ish with the same spec and Blur frame is only ~0.1lbs heavier (weighed them back to back). I know for a fact that the Kona frame is almost 2lbs heavier. People talk about the feel of steel, but I would rather my bike feel 2lbs lighter if I'm getting beaten by a hardtail either way. Especially knowing I could ride the Blur XC w/300psi if I wanted the ride of steel at a lighter weight. :)

Attachment 767127

Attachment 767128

Attachment 767129

Attachment 767130

Frame: 2013 Chameleon large Ultramarine
    Fork: Fox 32 RLC FIT
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Stem: EA70 90mm
    Bar: EC70
    Grips: Troy Lee/ODI
    Saddle: WTB something-or-other cro-mo
    Brakes: XT 780
    Hubs: Hope Pro II F/SS Trials R
    Spokes: Wheelsmith DB
    Rims: Pacenti TL28 (tubeless)
    Tires: Racing Ralph 2.25
    R Der: Saint 810
    F Der: Pauls Keeper
    Shifter: Pauls/Dura Ace Thumbie LH flipped
    Crank: XT 780
    Ring: Chromag 33t
    Cassette: 11-27 hack
    Chain: XT dynasys
    Pedals: XTR 970
  • 02-01-2013
    pfox90
    I like my On One 456 Carbon. Tons of clearance room to fit 650b and option of sliding dropouts to make it a SS. Really absorbs shock on the trails well and is way more comfortable than my steel frame I had a while back. Slack HA makes this a really fun bike with an array of options.