mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Noob looking for advice: Bronson/Solo(5010)...

TIA for the replies as I'm trying to figure this out. My understanding of these two models (built comparatively) has everything to do with total suspension travel amount. Geometry is equal. Same with their single-pivot doppelgangers (Heckler and Bantam). So, if that deduction hold correct, these bikes should ride very, very similarly - and if so, what would be pros/cons of going longer or shorter on travel? Read: why not just go for more travel to have it available? (or, why do trail bikes even exist?)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The Bronson has a slacker head tube and longer wheelbase. So their riding characteristics should be different.

mtbr member
    What mcrn12 said (and higher BB too). In a nutshell, it is more than just the travel - the geometries are different and they will ride differently. Suspension stiffness should feel similar and from what I've read they both have a stable pedaling platform. I only own the Solo and haven't ridden the Bronson so I can't give you a comparison. I would head on over to the Santa Cruz forum as you will probably find somebody who has ridden both and can describe the differences.

I got the Solo instead of the Bronson because I live in the Midwest and 150mm travel is overkill for the trails I typically frequent.

Good luck on your quest!
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Here are some forum topics that may be helpful to you. I also live in the Midwest and chose the Solo for similar reasons as sandyego. Unfortunately, I did not get a real ride on a Bronson.

Solo vs. TallboyLt?

Bronson, Solo or Tallboy LT?

Bronson and Solo

Solo or Bronson

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the links!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hey guys! which size of solo/bronson would u recommend for 5,5", 150 lbs, about 29,5 inseam. The size is just between medium and small according to SC size chart but there is no opportunity to test small version (

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm about your size and ride a M Solo(5010).
    At first it felt a little big; especially compared to my 26" bike.
    Now it is very comfortable and fast.
    Love it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Makakio View Post
    TIA for the replies as I'm trying to figure this out. My understanding of these two models (built comparatively) has everything to do with total suspension travel amount. Geometry is equal. Same with their single-pivot doppelgangers (Heckler and Bantam). So, if that deduction hold correct, these bikes should ride very, very similarly - and if so, what would be pros/cons of going longer or shorter on travel? Read: why not just go for more travel to have it available? (or, why do trail bikes even exist?)
    Your questions and new rider status have me thinking you should delay a purchase, go to demo events, and go where you can rent bikes and ride them in real world scenarios.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for advice! Just purchased my Bronson sized M, happy as kid!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Nice! I've been very happy with my Bronson.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    ditto @cmrocks ^^^ - I am totally stoked on my Bronson, 2 rides on it still...but love it!