mtbr member

Are Nobby Nic's stiffer now?

I just replaced my NN and the new tire feels like it has much stiffer side walls and didn't balloon up like the old one did when it was inflated. Both are snakeskin, pacestar, TLr, etc. Just curious what others are seeing - I haven't had a chance to ride it yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I never tried the first version (650b label on the side) but have had a new NN 2.35 (27.5 label) on my bike for a couple of weeks now. I was surprised at how stiff the sidewalls were, tough getting set up tubeless at first. Also only measures 2.25" wide at the widest knobs, exact same as my SS RR 2.25 on the rear and the knobs don't stick out as far. I found it to be very deflective at 28psi (what I ride the RR at) and am now down to running it at 20psi (front tire) and I weigh 175.

mtbr member

Question about these tires since I'm looking at them for a 650 build. Are they a very tall tire once inflated. I have a Muddy Mary and its a very big 2.35, just wondering if it runs in the Schwalbe brand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Mine measures about 27.75" tall. Earlier reports of the first versions of these were measuring taller and wider. Mine is a 2.35 but measures exactly 2.25" at it's widest on a LB Carbon rim.

mtbr member

I had a set of the 1st 2.35x650b NN to come to the USA last Aug. They were a 1/4 " taller & a 1/4" wider the any of the tires shipping since. I went round and a round with Schwalbe North America and they could not give me any answers why the tire changed. The bigger tire roll thru stuff better but the current tires corners better and is stiffer. The bigger tire washed out at times up front. I am on my 3 set of NN. FYI I tried the HD in 2.35 up front on my hardtail and I found it over kill and very heavy, 100 grams more the a 2.35 NN.

mtbr member
    I have been riding the NN 2.35 650b Snakeskins for a few weeks ago. Honestly I am a bit disappointed. It is a nice XC - light AM tire nothing more.

As far as stiffness compared to the old version I cant comment as I never tried the old version. Having said that the snakeskins are doing very well on technical New England trails. They are a bit stiffer than the Highrollers my bike came with, and definitely stiffer then the Nevegals that treated me right for 6 or so years before that.

The tires are nice and light and work great in dry conditions. If the trails are even slightly damp I wont ride these things. The tires are just plain dangerous in wet conditions. Itís the lack of nobs between the center and side nobs. Even in dry conditions if you lean the bike at a certain angle loss of grip can be expected. I went down really hard a few weeks ago, my whole leg was black and blue and I broke a shifter. Partially it was my fault but I canít help think that if I had beefier tires I would have been fine.

I went over a small dry rocky creak where the bridge was angled in a slightly different direction than the trail. I had made it before but this time my front wheel made it and the rear did not. All of this happened in a split second but time slows down when this stuff happens, anyways the I managed to spin the rear a bit along side the edge of the bridge to try and get some grip and make it through. I was basically at an angle where I was spinning through the part of the tire that lacked nobs. Unfortunately somehow I ended up endowing into the rocks below. I kind of wish I had video of it cause i dont know how the hell it happened.

I have pushed these things pretty hard and they hold up ok, but I wont buy another set. With the New England fall coming with wet roots, rocks and leaves it looks like I will have to shell out more $ for another set of new tires. The Snakeskin sidewall I like a lot so maybe the Hans Damfs.

Oh and they are definitely not 2.35, more like 2.25 for sure.

mtbr member
    The NN work best tubeless with low pressure. I run 19 psi front and 23 psi rear with great results.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AMjunky View Post
    I have been riding the NN 2.35 650b Snakeskins for a few weeks ago. Honestly I am a bit disappointed. It is a nice XC - light AM tire nothing more.

As far as stiffness compared to the old version I cant comment as I never tried the old version. Having said that the snakeskins are doing very well on technical New England trails. They are a bit stiffer than the Highrollers my bike came with, and definitely stiffer then the Nevegals that treated me right for 6 or so years before that.

The tires are nice and light and work great in dry conditions. If the trails are even slightly damp I wont ride these things. The tires are just plain dangerous in wet conditions. Itís the lack of nobs between the center and side nobs. Even in dry conditions if you lean the bike at a certain angle loss of grip can be expected. I went down really hard a few weeks ago, my whole leg was black and blue and I broke a shifter. Partially it was my fault but I canít help think that if I had beefier tires I would have been fine.

I went over a small dry rocky creak where the bridge was angled in a slightly different direction than the trail. I had made it before but this time my front wheel made it and the rear did not. All of this happened in a split second but time slows down when this stuff happens, anyways the I managed to spin the rear a bit along side the edge of the bridge to try and get some grip and make it through. I was basically at an angle where I was spinning through the part of the tire that lacked nobs. Unfortunately somehow I ended up endowing into the rocks below. I kind of wish I had video of it cause i dont know how the hell it happened.

I have pushed these things pretty hard and they hold up ok, but I wont buy another set. With the New England fall coming with wet roots, rocks and leaves it looks like I will have to shell out more $ for another set of new tires. The Snakeskin sidewall I like a lot so maybe the Hans Damfs.

Oh and they are definitely not 2.35, more like 2.25 for sure.
    You have to run these tires under 22psi to get real traction, over that they are scary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSAmerica View Post
    The NN work best tubeless with low pressure. I run 19 psi front and 23 psi rear with great results.
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    You have to run these tires under 22psi to get real traction, over that they are scary.
    Yep, running them tubeless and in general about 18-20 in the front and 23-25ish in the rear. When I first went tubeless I was scared of them slipping off the rim in hard corners, I might have been running them too low. But yeah 18-23 seems to be the sweet spot.