Not a regular
    Jan 2004

No peeling, no blow-offs with Neo-Motos!

I've had great success with my Neo-Motos. I don't know what it is. They pump up fine with a floor pump or compressor. They haven't rolled when cornering. I'm not sure what I can attribute this to except maybe it's because I run them with tubes at about 30psi on my Blunts. I give a big thumbs up to my Neo-Motos when used as they were designed - with a hook bead rim and a tube

Okay, maybe that was a little sarcastic in light of a couple other posts, but why is it that the posts are saying that the tire blew/peeled off the rim like it's the tire's fault. Why aren't the posts saying the rim failed to hold the tire?
    Last edited by ssmike; 02-03-2009 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    It seems to me that people are really trying hard to push the envelope with the tubeless Neomoto set up.

Why the need to rush things regarding 650b - why not take it slow and steady and when the time is right for those rock solid tubeless combos between tires and rims - then run em and be happy.

It seems at times that everyone is expecting 650b to take off like gangbusters - but that didn't happen with 29ers - so why should it or why does it need to happen with 650b.

I like the rate at which things are moving forward - here's to steady progress and to getting things right.

Cheers,

Mark

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    I've had great success with my Neo-Motos. I don't know what it is. They pump up fine with a floor pump or compressor. They haven't rolled when cornering. I'm not sure what I can attribute this to except maybe it's because I run them with tubes at about 30psi on my Blunts. I give a big thumbs up to my Neo-Motos when used as they were designed - with a hook bead rim and a tube

Okay, maybe that was a little sarcastic in light of a couple other posts, but why is it that the posts are saying that the tire blew/peeled off the rim like it's the tire's fault. Why aren't the posts saying the rim failed to hold the tire?
    Hilarious, but there's probably a total of two sentences in both of those threads where anyone blames the tires directly. In my own case, I don't blame the tire at all. I blame myself for over-inflating it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I really don't understand the whole deal of going tubeless w/ tires that are not UST . If you are going to run those set-ups why whine about it when it doesn't work properly - Hello those tires were meant to be run w/ tubes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I really don't understand the whole deal of going tubeless w/ tires that are not UST . If you are going to run those set-ups why whine about it when it doesn't work properly - Hello those tires were meant to be run w/ tubes.
    I think you're onto something. I'll put tubes in my Neo's immediately and I'll join you at the trail. We can blow whistles and ticket anyone with ghetto tubes sticking out of their rims.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 177ark
    Hilarious, but there's probably a total of two sentences in both of those threads where anyone blames the tires directly. In my own case, I don't blame the tire at all. I blame myself for over-inflating it.
    That is true, which is why I also phrased my last sentence the way I did. They comment that the TIRE blew off the rim, not that the RIM failed to hold the tire.

I'm not sure I would be willing to accept a rim/tire combination where 2 psi change means a system failure. The max pressure rating of a bicycle tire is approximately half of it's blow-off pressure when used on a hook bead rim.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Keen, we've run many, many brands and models of non-UST tires in tubeless setup out of our shop. No, not all non-UST tires are good candidates...of course. As I said in my post, the Neo is obviously not a UST or tubeless ready tire. Still, it has a carcass quality and toughness that would generally allow it to run tubeless. That's the interesting thing about this whole deal. The first Blunt, the second Blunt, and the ZTR...I've had the Neo blow off of all of them. Not having had any 26'er...UST or non...blow off the rim in tubeless mode is an interesting comparison. This is information about an experience on my part...not a condemnation as such.

Let me share something else that one of the other guys at the shop experienced this weekend. I already mentioned about Texheckler's Quasi burping and coming off the rim. He had just started his ride and the tire burped off the ZTR 3 different times. He inflated and tried to continue but gave up for obvious reasons. This is the same guy who's been running Neos on the same ZTRs for many months on an Epic with no issue...on just the yellow tape setup. He swapped the troublesome Quasi at the shop for another. This one sealed up fine, and he rode around a bit, and it seemed to hold. Another actual trail ride will hopefully prove that perhaps this was a bad tire. No...the Quasi isn't a tubeless tire either...obviously...but many people do run or want to run their tires in tubeless mode whenever possible. Sharing the information and experiences here shouldn't get people's shorts in wad. Mine weren't.

I've been an advocate of this tire size format from near the start...and still am. Sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly doesn't make it a popularity contest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Keen, we've run many, many brands and models of non-UST tires in tubeless setup out of our shop. No, not all non-UST tires are good candidates...of course. As I said in my post, the Neo is obviously not a UST or tubeless ready tire. Still, it has a carcass quality and toughness that would generally allow it to run tubeless. That's the interesting thing about this whole deal. The first Blunt, the second Blunt, and the ZTR...I've had the Neo blow off of all of them. Not having had any 26'er...UST or non...blow off the rim in tubeless mode is an interesting comparison. This is information about an experience on my part...not a condemnation as such.

Let me share something else that one of the other guys at the shop experienced this weekend. I already mentioned about Texheckler's Quasi burping and coming off the rim. He had just started his ride and the tire burped off the ZTR 3 different times. He inflated and tried to continue but gave up for obvious reasons. This is the same guy who's been running Neos on the same ZTRs for many months on an Epic with no issue...on just the yellow tape setup. He swapped the troublesome Quasi at the shop for another. This one sealed up fine, and he rode around a bit, and it seemed to hold. Another actual trail ride will hopefully prove that perhaps this was a bad tire. No...the Quasi isn't a tubeless tire either...obviously...but many people do run or want to run their tires in tubeless mode whenever possible. Sharing the information and experiences here shouldn't get people's shorts in wad. Mine weren't.

I've been an advocate of this tire size format from near the start...and still am. Sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly doesn't make it a popularity contest.
    Like Michelin auto tires use to advertise "So much is riding on your tires" I prefer not to run the safety margin thin especially w/ tires. I talked w/ an online bike retailer about a Blunt 650b wheel build and of course the undersize issue came up - the salesman said MTBR & tubeless has been a thorn in 650b sales.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Like Michelin auto tires use to advertise "So much is riding on your tires" I prefer not to run the safety margin thin especially w/ tires. I talked w/ an online bike retailer about a Blunt 650b wheel build and of course the undersize issue came up - the salesman said MTBR & tubeless has been a thorn in 650b sales.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

oops...

mtbr member
    I'm glad this all came up myself, because I was just thinking about trying this whole tubeless thing on my upcoming 650b custom. Not really because I'm enthusiastic about it--I've never felt the need personally, and I buy maybe half the hype. (that's not a slam--if you like tubeless, that's completely cool with me)

I prefer higher pressure on the trails I typically ride anyway, 30-35 rear, 35-40 front, so I never have pinch flats and I puncture seldom enough that it's not a motivator. But new bike, new wheel size--why not try it, I thought? But now I feel more comfortable sticking with tubes which was the way I was originally going to go anyway...

Keep working on the tubeless though, folks! If it ever becomes more reliable I might let go of my tubes and give it a go!

mtbr member

On a positive note...

The Neo-Moto, which is made by Panaracer, has their Anti-snake bite strip around the bead.
    While a lot of the stuff you hear is simply marketing hype, this feature actually works as avertised. I consistently run lower pressures w/ Panaracer tires, WITHOUT pinch flats, compared to any other brand of tire I've owned.

This is the case with the Neo, Cinders, Trailblaster, & Fire XC...from my experience anyway.

The last ride I did, I caught a root much harder than intended with the back wheel. I was convinced I had just pinch flatted. I waited for the hiss and/or wobble from the flat, but it never happened.

That being said, as soon as a Tubeless ready 650b tire comes out, I am all over it...

1 ☼ ♥

+1

Quote Originally Posted by 177ark

I agree. I blame myself as well for over inflating. Lesson learned!

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Good points Mike.

Bottom line, if you use products in a way that they are not designed for, not matter how specifically you use it, (ie pressure,) you are taking risks and you alone have to be responsible for the outcome.

It's all up to you, but I've never had troubles with tubes in any tubed tire, nor issues with tubeless tires on true tubeless rims.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.