mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm Newb Starting in the Sport, Looking for Budget Upgradeable 27.5er

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the MB sport and would like to get a MB to tackle my local trails and occasional road riding. I'd like suggestions on a full-suspension MB that can be had for $500 or under (Wishful thinking) or under $1,000, and parts can also be upgraded in the future as I progress in the sport.

I like tinkering with mechanical parts and take interest in riding just as much as building it. Ultimately, I'd like to keep this bike for the years to come and upgrade from being a budgeted bike to a more high-end bike with more quality parts.

I'm still in the process of doing researches and understanding the specifics of MBs though but thought I'd post this to get inputs from other fellow enthusiasts

To my knowledge, finding a frame that is compatible with a wide range of aftermarket components is one criteria in determining whether a bike have lots of upgrade choices in the future, correct?

Also, I'd like to look for a bike that utilizes V-brakes; they can also be upgraded in the future, correct?

Cheers all and hope y'all can be patient with a newb

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There are no full suspension bikes for $1000, much less in 27.5". Giant had a $1000 26" for 2013, but that bike is now gone. Most, if not all, 27.5" FS bikes start at $2000. Budget hardtails that are worthy of taking to the trails once a week maybe start at $500. Giant and KHS have hardtails in 27.5 in the $500-$1000 range. No one uses V-brakes anymore. Go disc and you will have a lot less headaches as far as future proofing.

With all due respect you are seriously undervaluing brand new full suspension bikes. Used is a different story, but there are very few used 27.5 FS bikes out there. In the price range you're quoting you can only afford hardtails, and even then it won't come with a very good fork. And if you want to build a frame up yourself get ready to spend a good chunk on specialty tools.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the help jazclrint.

So I guess there is not huge crowd who modify their bikes?

I'm willing to up my budget. Do you recommend a beginner like me get a starter full-suspension MB? IMO it might be a good idea to get a full suspension bike for $2,000 now and be future proof for a couple years and enjoy it, as opposed to getting a hardtail budgeted bike and having to go through the hassle of selling it later on, spending the same $2,000 on a full suspension starter, and finally being able to enjoy riding.

Btw, what are the resale value of MBs? Are there certain criteria that determine its resale value?

Thanks!

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Check out Kona. Precept lists for $1599 and is a 27.5 inch. In October of last year, I picked up a Santa Cruz Superlight 29er for $1480 (normally $1850) including shipping, from Back Country. Wait a week or two and the online bike shops will start cutting prices, but 27.5 is relatively new, so chances are they won't cut prices on 27.5. Also, check out craigslist for a used bike. As for resale value, check ebay sold listings, that will give you an idea of how much a bike will depreciate.

Full suspension or hard tail really depends on your age and the roughness of the local trails. I have some friends who have biked for a long time and once they hit late forties, hardtails were replaced with full suspension. Not saying older riders don't ride hardtails, but some people switch as they get older. I ride in New England which has moderately rough trails.

As for upgrading, Giant uses some standards that are a little less standard, but the rest of the brands are compatible with a wide range of components.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The only standard Giant uses that no one else does is their Overdrive 2 headtube which doesn't come on their budget bikes. Overdrive 2 is simple the top bearing is 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" bottom, where most everyone else is 1 1/8" to 1 1/2". Giant actually calls that Overdrive.

I'd say a fair amount of people do their own tinkering, but they have invested a decent amount in specialty tools.

I recommend, having watched many folks come through the shop, that you spend the $1500 (seriously didn't know there were any 27.5 FS bike under $2k this year) to $2000. You'll be much happier if you are serious about MTBing. You'll get years of use out of it, but there is plenty to be upgraded and keep you busy customizing your ride over the years. That's my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    I just bought this Gravity single speed last month and absolutely love it especially for the the price. It's easily upgradeable and since it's a single speed and there not always the best for first bikes Bikesdirect where I bought it has said they will have a dozen total this fall and I'm sure there will be ones like mine but not rigid single speed.. Here is the link for the 650b/27.5" they have as of now

Bikesdirect.com Email Alerts | Save up to 60% off new bikes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newb Starting in the Sport, Looking for Budget Upgradeable 27.5er-img_20130831_005220.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

Congrats on your purchase! What made you choose single speed? Isn't that hard for uphill climbing?

I went to BD website, their prices are insanely cheap. For $500 I can get a 27.5 MTB...

Save up to 60% off new 650b and 27.5 Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 27 Speed Full Suspension new 650b and 27.5 Mountain Bikes

Edit: I am considering buying the MTB I linked above from bikesdirect since I'm a beginner, and seeing as how it's 1/3 the price of the Kona Percept and that I will most likely be upgrading in the future such as the frame and forks, I THINK it may be a good purchase.

I was doing a bit of researching on BD and many people say that they basically use Walmart quality frames on brand name parts, but other than that quality is decent. Now I'm just curious about the availability of parts for this spec bike for when I want to get a better fork... They use the "27.5" SUSPENSION FORK, SUNTOUR SF13-XCT-MLO-DS, ALLOY BLACK CROWN." I couldn't find much info on this. And not sure what the travel is either...

Do you guys think this bike is great for its price given the parts equipped?

PS: I'll be riding single tracks and some downhill here and there, nothing extreme DH.
    Last edited by BobaX; 09-03-2013 at 01:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Thank you, I chose singlespeed because haven't had one and I know everyone who has one loves them. It's not the best choice for a beginner because there is only speed for someone who needs to start from scratch its better to have other gears to make it easier on hills etc.

I do a lot of riding on my Cannondale Supersix road bike so its not really hard with the one speed but it does take getting used to. Once I did though I have to say its really really fun.
    I have also had many mtbs in the past including 29ers which is why I wanted to try the 650b which is a wheel that's in between the 29 and 26 size and almost everyone who has switched to this size or has this size really likes them.

Bikesdirect was fine for me, they have been around for quite a while now and a lot of members own bikes from them

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Both my bikes are from bikesdirect (actually bikeisland), and for the money, they are a decent value. I have had to make some repairs though, but I am a clydesdale and hit rocky trails. I have one of the gravity fsx bikes that I've upgraded almost everything on it (wheelset, deore drivetrain, bb7 brakes, and rockshox XC32). At the end of the day, it's still a heavy bike that bobs. I wouldn't use it on anything but trails. I won't get rid of it though, mostly because I can't justify buying a really expensive lightweight FS bike. It's fun, it gets me on the trails and I've learned a lot about bike maintenance. My next bike will probably be a full suspension 29er from bikes direct, but it will be one of their Fantom29 models. Just waiting till something brakes, or I find I cheap one online.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Reserved.