mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Dude, got any schwag?
    I'd love a set of those, on my steel rims, with lead weights, and filled with water.

987 grams?!?!?!
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post
    I'd love a set of those, on my steel rims, with lead weights, and filled with water.

987 grams?!?!?!
    No different than the new WWolf 26" versions, weightwise. Right tire for the right conditions really. I don't see the problem.....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    No different than the new WWolf 26" versions, weightwise. Right tire for the right conditions really. I don't see the problem.....
    Except for the fact that the Weirwolf comes in a race version that 1) is about 200-250g lighter for the 2.3" and 2) can be mounted on Stan's rims. It's great that WTB is releasing a couple more 650B tires but in my opinion there's still a huge gap between the Vigilante and the Wolverine. IMHO the Weirwolf is the best tire they make, and would be incredible in a 650B version. 2.2" width -- 700-725g for race version -- would split the difference nicely: grippy, super cornering trail tire. That would be my dream-come-true tire!
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    I'd love to see an Exiwolf in 650b as well.... awesome rear tire for drier conditions

NedwannaB
    Yeah that is rather portly, and you're right a 2.2 WWolf would be great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Its heavy wall and with the TCS bead makes it a pig and I want the RACE version too! The Bronson Race is ok, the big knobs on the edge fold over too much in dust on harpack. The Vigilante looks sweet, same height knobs for a consistent breakaway feel. I lov ethe old Weirwolf and then the new oneson TCS I disliked for weight an dhte rae one was too narrow-returned to WTB for a Brosnon replacement. May swap Bronson to the rear and Weirwolf up front. I put the TCS weirwolf on my stans flow rim with yellow tape only and it was tight but stays, looser than w rim strip too lol! One of my favs was teh old Weirwolf sticky corner 2.3 and the light casing 2.5 someone gave me. I wan thte Real MOTORAPTOR back in 2.4 race dual compound! That seems like it'd have the low rolling resistance anf directional drifting w good braking traction too. I got used to the solid feel the sticky nevegal gave but it rolld too slow so back to WTB!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by suspman View Post
    Its heavy wall and with the TCS bead makes it a pig and I want the RACE version too! The Bronson Race is ok, the big knobs on the edge fold over too much in dust on harpack. The Vigilante looks sweet, same height knobs for a consistent breakaway feel. I lov ethe old Weirwolf and then the new oneson TCS I disliked for weight an dhte rae one was too narrow-returned to WTB for a Brosnon replacement. May swap Bronson to the rear and Weirwolf up front. I put the TCS weirwolf on my stans flow rim with yellow tape only and it was tight but stays, looser than w rim strip too lol! One of my favs was teh old Weirwolf sticky corner 2.3 and the light casing 2.5 someone gave me. I wan thte Real MOTORAPTOR back in 2.4 race dual compound! That seems like it'd have the low rolling resistance anf directional drifting w good braking traction too. I got used to the solid feel the sticky nevegal gave but it rolld too slow so back to WTB!
    Are these returns direct to WTB or thru a bike shop? Just curious as I thought Specialized was the only one that had a return policy like that. Good to know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yes, I called up WTB and they were very helpful.

And I got a free flexfit hat!

mtbr member
    FWIW my 27.5 TCS (non team issue) Vigilante weighs only 805grams—far less than the claimed 890. So far I'm loving it on the front.

mtbr member
    Great front tire. Too soft for a rear tire unless you don't mind changing them out every few rides. I weighed two different tires - both 840 gms. 2.3 TCS Team Issue. That's a competitive weight for a burly, high volume tire. (10 gms more than a Hans Dampf 2.3 Evo Trail Star). If you're looking for a weight weenie XC tire, this isn't it. If you want a grippy tire that you can bomb through the chunder without worrying about gashes, it's a good option.

mtbr member
    I recommend against running WTB "Race" tires tubeless on Stans rims. Had one blow off my front wheel this summer and crashed pretty hard. WTB is on Stan's list of not-recommended tire brands.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    I'd love to see an Exiwolf in 650b as well.... awesome rear tire for drier conditions
    Agreed Bacon. I still find the Exiwolf to be one of my favorite all time tires. Sad they killed it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Keep your eye on the new Trail Boss which is out now and other products coming soon. If you want security of tire bead, the TCS rim and tire matching is hard to beat. It's basically UST technology with lighter tires.