mtbr member
    Apr 2012

New Trail Bike 27.5 or 26?

I'm ready to finally pull the trigger on a new ride, but I can't seam to find exactly what I'm looking for. The contenders thus far are...

Ibis Mojo SL Special Blend (650b conversion or not)

Ibis Mojo SL-R Special Blend (650b conversion or not)

Giant Reign 1

I love DW-Link and Full Carbon, but having a frame where the warranty is voided in 650b mode is a problem. The Giant Reign 26er is a very nice ride, but isn't carbon and not 650b.

Money is burning a hole in my wallet, but I suspect it's only a short matter of time before someone comes out with a...

140mm carbon DW-Link 650b trail bike that won't break the bank.

Do I wait or pull the trigger? What do you think?
    The Truth will set you free.

Team Chilidog!
    Being a recent Mojo HD purchaser, I don't think you can go wrong with Ibis, even with 26" wheels. Great bike, great CS, and if you don't like it after all, I'm sure you can sell it.

Not sure why everyone has to have 650b. 26" wheels still work just fine.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ah, the new Giant Trance Advanced is carbon, 650B, and 140mm travel. 160mm in the fork and Float X shock with the SX. And still DW link based Meastro.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The Giant is a nice bike, but it's outside my price range.

mtbr member
    The Special blend Mojo's come with an X-Fusion fork that is 650b compatible. I can't in a million years imagine Ibis giving you a hard time on a warranty issue because you put a half inch larger radius wheel in a fork that is already designed to take it. The SL, after all, was approved for 160mm forks, so a 650b front wheel won't be exceeding anything.
    That, btw, makes for a shredding machine... 650b front / 26" rear. I like having the bigger rear wheel for all around trail riding and climbing, but if DH performance is paramount you're not really giving anything up staying with the smaller rear wheel, and it actually is a little snappier transitioning through fast corners and allows for meaty rubber.
    I doubt that Ibis would bust your chops on a rear 650b install either if it's done right. In other words, fail to limit your shock stoke and crack the seat tube after launching a big jump, then yeah, you'll probably get the cheap crash replacement option rather than a freebie, but do it right and you can end up with a carbon DW bike with 130mm rear travel, reasonable BB height, and still have the best customer support in the biz... you'll just be limited to 2.1-ish sized rear tires with limited mud clearance.
    I can understand wanting to wait for the factory dialed bike, but IMO you'll be waiting who knows how long for more tire clearance and 10mm of travel, assuming they just port the existing 140mm Mojo over to 27.5, which is anybody's guess. Whether the wait is worth the benefits is yours to decide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazclrint View Post
    And still DW link based Meastro.
    I'm sure this makes Dave Weagel go ! LOL

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not DW Link but DW with Split Pivot will be the new Devinci Troy and the Trek Remedy. Both 140mm travel and both with carbon versions available. Might be to much $$ but those should be some sweet rides with no tire clearance issues. If you're ok with an FSR design the Norco Sight will have a carbon version(s) for 2014. 140mm travel.

Oh, and Jamis will also have some carbon bikes for 2014 including at least 1 model in the 130-140mm travel range. Again, not DW Link but nice bikes. I had a 2011 Dakar B2 and it was VERY nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Your bike choices seem at odds with each other.

One is an all round trail bike and the other is a bomber.

The mojo HD special blend should be a consideration even though it costs more, it is much more similar to the Reign than the mojo.

The reign is great value but will be a little heavy to climb with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    Your bike choices seem at odds with each other.

One is an all round trail bike and the other is a bomber.

The mojo HD special blend should be a consideration even though it costs more, it is much more similar to the Reign than the mojo.

The reign is great value but will be a little heavy to climb with.
    I would love an HD, but it's a bit outside of my budget, that's why I was considering the Reign. I just don't love aluminum. I also just found out Ibis doesn't have the SL special blend in my size anyway. I may just have to wait.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jazclrint View Post
    Ah, the new Giant Trance Advanced is carbon, 650B, and 140mm travel. 160mm in the fork and Float X shock with the SX. And still DW link based Meastro.
    Wrong. Parallel link suspension designs have been around for decades. Yes, even before the great and powerful DW. Why do people get so hung up on this? It wasn't new when DW patented it, so why call out Giant and give DW all the credit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I wouldn't even consider a 26" bike anymore. There are a few bikes like the one's your looking for ie; Pivot, Turner, Santa Cruz, Intense, Giant, GT, Trek and many more to come.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just picked up the Giant Trance 3 (evidently the only XL avail on the east coast right now) a few days ago. I really really really wanted a Santa Cruz Solo or Bronson. I couldnt justify the spend (got a carbon epic like 2 months ago and a new dirt jumper too).

I couldn't be happier. The Trance is the ****. Im gonna save my pennies and get a dropper post. The brakes seem a little week compared my epic but hey its a baseline bike. I love it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well I ended up getting the Mojo SL Special Blend in an XL. Jenson had a smokin deal on the bike I couldn't pass up. I really didn't think it'd fit me, but after sitting on one and swapping the stem for a 75mm version, it fit great. I'm 6' with a 33" inseam. Not a lot of stand-over for me, but the reach is perfect. Now I just need to get some 650b wheels. JensonUSA wouldn't let me swap the 26er's out for 650b's and I totally understand not wanting the liability. I will order a set however. Rides really nice with the 26" wheels and absolutely ZERO pedal bob. Love it!

mtbr member
    Hey Phattruth, My name is Justin and recently started at Giant. I ride a combo of XC and All-MTN and recently rode the Trance 27.5 at Whistler. Versus the 29er I usually ride, I noticed it had good maneuverability in technically terrain and good acceleration. Try to find a demo to test ride.
    Justin
    Giant Bicycles USA
    www.facebook.com/giantbicyclesusa

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

The New Ibis Mojo SL

We'll here's the new ride. It's just a mater of time before I get the 650b wheels for it.
    New Trail Bike 27.5 or 26?-img_0525.jpgNew Trail Bike 27.5 or 26?-img_0526.jpgNew Trail Bike 27.5 or 26?-img_0527.jpgNew Trail Bike 27.5 or 26?-img_0528.jpg