mtbr member
    Jun 2012

New Ride Ellsworth Absolute Truth

I just received this bike about a week ago just in time to ride in Southern Utah last weekend. It's the first production Absolute Truth sold.

The bike handles fantastic up and down. It's 120 in back and 130 in front. When you pedal it just goes.

I had an Epiphany and always felt like it had a little too much suspension. This one feels just right. There's plenty to go fast down and not too much for when you step on it.

And it looks amazing!

It weighs right around 25 lbs.

New Ride  Ellsworth Absolute Truth-img_0473.jpg

New Ride  Ellsworth Absolute Truth-img_0475.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike. Ellsworth knows how to make a beautiful paint job. Glad you're liking it.

dwt
    mtbr member

New Ride Ellsworth Absolute Truth

Gorgeous!
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    That is a beautiful looking frame. I was surprised to see them add so much suspension travel to the Truth. The Truth has always been a 100mm XC bike. I've been riding a Truth for 10 years (now converted to a B6). It is an awesome bike and I'd love to have one in 650b. I'm just not sure I'd like so much travel (also not crazy about spending $3,600 on a new frame!). I'm eager to read side by side comparisons to the old Truth.

Trips for Kids Denver
    Amazing bike/rolling art. What is going on with all the housing in front of the bars? Looks like DI-2.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post
    Amazing bike/rolling art. What is going on with all the housing in front of the bars? Looks like DI-2.
    Splitter for the suspension lockouts?

mtbr member

Worth the wait

Received mine Wednesday! Aesthetically it's the most beautiful bike I've ever seen. The weather and illness didn't allow me to get out to ride it to Saturday but it was worth the wait. I too was riding an Epiphany (converted to 650) & also wanted the shorter travel. The handling of the bike is incredible, I'm praying for a late winter here in Ontario to get the opportunity to get out it on a few more times before the snow flies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Ride  Ellsworth Absolute Truth-100_1104.jpg  

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Taken individually the Ellsworth is beautiful, unfortunately I feel as though the suspension design is behind the times. A glorified Kona circa 2006.
    ArcGIS mapping pro, offering trail design and mapping support to non-profit organizations across Pennsylvania.

mtbr member
    I've been riding VPP bikes for the last 5 years (FSR long before that) and used to think the same thing about faux bars and single pivots. But after riding some of these "behind the times" designs and reading others bike reviews I've come to change my opinion due to pivot placements and shock advancements. Case in point, Devinci Troy, Norco Sight and Kona Process, Santa Cruz Heckler.

Nice Ellsworth BTW!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Taken individually the Ellsworth is beautiful, unfortunately I feel as though the suspension design is behind the times. A glorified Kona circa 2006.
    I feel the same even though it's not the case. IMO Ellsworth is sort of like Orange bikes. Hard to tell if it's a 2013 or 2003 model. Although the front triangle does look a bit more modern.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

mtbr member
    Nice looking rides guys...enjoy...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    While I don't care for FSR suspensions myself, they are far from behind the times.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    While I don't care for FSR suspensions myself, they are far from behind the times.
    Has more to do with the specific design than it does the "type". Norco's iteration = awesome, Specialized = meh, and Ellsworth = yikes.

Has to do with Anti-squat man, at least to me, lots of anti-squat is a personal preference and Ellsworth has the least of it.
    ArcGIS mapping pro, offering trail design and mapping support to non-profit organizations across Pennsylvania.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GFreak View Post
    I've been riding VPP bikes for the last 5 years (FSR long before that) and used to think the same thing about faux bars and single pivots. But after riding some of these "behind the times" designs and reading others bike reviews I've come to change my opinion due to pivot placements and shock advancements. Case in point, Devinci Troy, Norco Sight and Kona Process, Santa Cruz Heckler.

Nice Ellsworth BTW!
    Um, Norco Sight and Ellsworth are both true four bar(FSR) type suspensions not simple single pivots. And with the Split pivot (rear pivot concentric to rear axle) on the Devinci it's quite a bit better than a simple single pivot as well. But you're right, even the faux bar susensions (linkage activated single pivot) like Ventana, the old Turner TNT, and Kona, and the true single pivots like the new (and original) heckler, Orange, etc can work pretty well when done right and with modern shocks.

Like PHeller said it comes down to preference.... and not even all horst link four bar suspensions are created equal (just like all dw-link frames are tuned differently). I actually like less anti-squat for more square edged technical riding and climbing loose baby heads etc. Maybe I should give ellsworth another look.

The long rocker bar on the rear does make the bike look a little dated (at least the rear end), but that's classic Ellsworth. That front triangle is art. Very nice.

mtbr member
    Ellsworth's are 110% efficient. Just ask Tony. Nice Truths chaps!!!! I've recently owned several DWs (pivot, turner and Ibis, VPP2 (Santa Cruz) 4X4 (Knolly) and whilst they all ride slightly differently I didn't dislike any. Knolly was the most plush and active up and down and somehow didn't wallow like the Horst Turners I owned did. But VPP and DW seemed to be easier to put the power down and fwiw I feel like there is more of a built in platform feeling on a pivot DW than on a Turner for example.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yep. Splitter for the suspension. Climb, trail, descend both front and back with a push of a button.

Unfortunately it wasn't set-up when I rode it and since the weather turned so I haven't had another chance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hey hey! Can anybody tell me what is headset type on those new truth's? Is it integrated solution or something more traditional? I just want to use angleset here. Is it possible? And my other questions was answered, but I will ask again. Is here 30.9 mm seatpost? What is bottom bracket type (I've heard that here is BB30)? What about tire clearanse? And also very interesting is clearance betwen tire and seattube by fully compressed suspension.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It's a tapered headset not integrated. It's BB30. And 30.9

I can't answer your other questions off the top of my head.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thank you! That sounds good to me. Very good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    What weights frame only?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Not sure exactly. Right around 5lbs