Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

New Continetal Trail King 650B/27.5 Tire

Thought you guys would like to see a few shots of this tire. Not out to the public yet, but will be soon. I am excited to try them out at this weekends Pisgah Enduro. I will give feed back after the event. I am sure they will be just as good as the 26" version.

Size:
    2.4"x 27.5"
    2.2 Lbs (X-King is 1.62lbs)

Side Profile:
    New Continetal Trail King 650B/27.5 Tire-988647_10201511578577221_863965747_n.jpg

Knobs:
    New Continetal Trail King 650B/27.5 Tire-947101_10201511598217712_469453203_n.jpg

Side by Side to the X-King 2.4
    New Continetal Trail King 650B/27.5 Tire-996158_10201511610618022_1921771594_n.jpg

Cecil
    Get out and ride a 650B!

mtbr member
    I am currently riding on the 650B x-king 2.4 tires, and really liking them.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Good! Anything will be better than the X-King dogshit
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyak View Post
    I am currently riding on the 650B x-king 2.4 tires, and really liking them.
    The X-King is a really good tire as long as you use them in the conditions they are intended for. They are a hard compact tire for dry fast conditions. I would not say its an All Mt Tire at all. That is where the Trail King comes into play. Overall both tires are great when used in the right conditions.

Cecil
    Get out and ride a 650B!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Whats the overall height on these? My 26" 2.4's were right at 27"-these are probably over 28". I can't wait to get a pair.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndude23 View Post
    Whats the overall height on these? My 26" 2.4's were right at 27"-these are probably over 28". I can't wait to get a pair.
    They are 27.75" high.

Cecil
    Get out and ride a 650B!

mtbr member
    Are they black chili?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_MTB View Post
    Are they black chili?
    Yes

Cecil
    Get out and ride a 650B!

mtbr member
    Good news on the Trail Kings. Looks like I will wait to replace my High Rollers til these become available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Good! Anything will be better than the X-King dogshit
    A friend of mine just won overall 50+ class of the Trans-Sylvia Epic on X-Kings.
    Maybe it's the rider.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Will the TK also be offered in a 2.2 protection casing black chili? Basically, a 27.5 version of the 26er tire that's currently available.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    A friend of mine just won overall 50+ class of the Trans-Sylvia Epic on X-Kings.
    Maybe it's the rider.
    The Race Kings roll faster but are just as thoroughly mediocre in roots and wet. Crossmarks corner better. I agree with Cecil - if I was in dry and dusty maybe the X-kings would be fine but they don't work in BC.

That race to which you're referring (trans-sylvania epic) was not that technical. In technical terrain the X-Kings are immensely mediocre.

Back to Cecil's original post. The Trail King in 26" is a tremendous braking and good cornering tire. It's nice to see tire choices like that for aggressive terrain in the 650b size

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    HD's are better anyway.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    HD's are better anyway.
    In what way? They have above average braking power but tend to wash in dry loose conditions. Could we have some substance here people?

mtbr member
    You do realize that tires are an extremely subjective component, who's performance can vary due to terrain, rider weight, riding style, bike, rim width, tubeless or tube, etc.

Not exactly sure of what substance you are looking for, since you are spouting opinion just like everyone else here. Is there some metrics you care to share?

Because you ride on the North Shore doesn't make you any more qualified to judge tires for others. Sorry.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    reformed roadie. I totally utterly agree with you. I'm not looking for an argument. Just merely stating that it is my considered opinion that the X-king is tire which tries to be all things but is none. Some tires are fast and sacrifice grip for that speed. Some tires flip the preference. The X-King is one of those rare birds which do things poorly. For reference I rode the X-kings not just in the North Shore but also in WA, OR and AZ. I found it extremely difficult to find a situation where they would have been a tire of choice.

The Trail Kings on the other hand were above average and superior performers in some conditions.

The Hans Dampfs that another poster mentioned were also good tires in some situations but poor in others.

We are all here to exchange opinions. I am not implying that anyone who likes X-Kings is stupid or incompetent and I hope I didn't imply that. Merely that I found them disappointingly mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    You do realize that tires are an extremely subjective component, who's performance can vary due to terrain, rider weight, riding style, bike, rim width, tubeless or tube, etc.

Not exactly sure of what substance you are looking for, since you are spouting opinion just like everyone else here. Is there some metrics you care to share?

Because you ride on the North Shore doesn't make you any more qualified to judge tires for others. Sorry.

NedwannaB
    Good restraint to rr.

Now, to switch it up abit, do you run the Crossmarx on your TB? Given the appropriate season of course. I just got some set up on my 650 ht. But awaiting a replacement der hanger to replace the relatively new one that the shop broke. I'm wondering if they'll charge me for it.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Good restraint to rr.

Now, to switch it up abit, do you run the Crossmarx on your TB? Given the appropriate season of course. I just got some set up on my 650 ht. But awaiting a replacement der hanger to replace the relatively new one that the shop broke. I'm wondering if they'll charge me for it.
    I have a Maxxis Ignitor on the rear of the Tallboy. Run Crossmarks on two 26" bikes rear and an Ardent rear on a 650b medium-long travel bike so I'd imagine both tires would work well in the 29er version. I do think the Aspens are a fantastic light weight choice for rear for the short travel bikes but they suffer from being single purpose mud/wet tires. For dry conditions, the Race Kings, Ignitor/Larsen/Crossmarks family (all of which share the same characteristics of having supple casings and somewhat taller knobs do well. The RKs don't have that supple casing or taller knobs but are ridiculously fast.

NedwannaB
    So not fond of a CM up front?

I picked up the 2nd CM figuring if I didn't like it up front on ht I'd use on back of the 650 fs but thinking an Ardent would work great on back of that too.

Thanks in advance

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    So not fond of a CM up front?

I picked up the 2nd CM figuring if I didn't like it up front on ht I'd use on back of the 650 fs but thinking an Ardent would work great on back of that too.

Thanks in advance
    I have no idea why I said Ignitor when I meant Maxxis Ikon.

I've seen others use Crossmarks up front but not tried them suspecting that they would lack braking power.

NedwannaB
    Cool thx. Yeah saw Ignitor and said uhmm ok?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When will Continentals 650b tires be available?

mtbr member
    I bought mine from:

- Best-Bike-Parts

They have X-King and Mountain King in stock I think.

my member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FCLINDER View Post
    They are 27.75" high.

Cecil
    This 2.4 version sounds like it's slightly downsized tire compared to the 26" version.. like the 2.35 HD was to the 26" version, they knocked off some size

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have both the Schwalbe's and Conti's and both are excellent tires. German tires are like Porsche's - high performance. I have the 2.4 Conti Mountain King's on my HD and they grip like sandpaper and are super squishy.

I imagine these 27.5s will be just as good, if not better on this larger format. Nice!
    We Ride In God's Country!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast