Thread: New 275

mtbr member

New 275

New to me at least. I picked up the small 275 Tracer demo at the Intense parking lot sale and had it re powder coated.
    Must be that it was more or less a prototype but my small Tracer 29 frame is 1/4 pound lighter than my small 275 frame???? The 275 is more plush and easier to climb and feels faster in every environment to me, even though it ends up weighing a scant 1 oz less than the 29.
    I have to thank Sam and the rest of the Intense service gurus for being so helpfull in reassembling the frame with new bearings, more subdued graphic and a new dropout/hanger. So far it looks as though I'll have a Tracer 29 for sale in a few months unless something changes in my perception of these to frames.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 275-photo_6d9e20bd-2d2b-b4a3-a698-3dceb2194d69.jpg  

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Looks great. And the color scheme is awesome. You must be a happy dude with that one. How is it different from your 29-er?
    If it's a prototype what is the final iteration different from yours? Weight or anything else?.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

MTB B'dos
    Sorry to say, but for and to me that's an obvious one at your size/height I just don't believe that 29ers are for everyone, despite the fact that I'll never buy anything else for myself, but then again I'm 6'2". I've always thought that for shorter riders, depending on their terrain and riding style a 29er was a compromise and that 650B would prob fit and suit them better - yes I know those short girls are winning world cup races on 29ers, still doesn't say they wouldn't do better on 650B with just a normal stem instea dof an inverted 15-20 degree stem to get the bars right.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Thanks, it was hard to pick a color I liked but one that you don't see every day, I'm very happy with the way it turned out.
    "Proto" I think the geometry is the same but the shock and tube set aren't full production resulting in a slight weight penalty that I don't care much about.
    In comparison to my T29 it has 1/2" shorter TT, .3 lower BB, 2.5 degree slacker HA and 1/2" more travel that feels like 2" more travel. Riding difference? 275 is far more plush, manuals easier and handles the steeper stuff better in both directions except that on the steep climbs I have to work a bit harder to hold the front end down. I'm not one to time myself around a given course so I can't tell you which one is faster overall but the 275 feels much more lively and fun. Unless my perception changes after riding them back to back for a couple months the 275 looks to have a long term home.

mtbr member

I agree with you

but I've long felt that most 29r FS frames are a geometry compromise, the bike companies were so worried about maintaning a nimble feel they steepened the HA to maintain a "short" wheelbase and what they've maintained is a twitchy feel, especially in the longer travel bikes except Lenz and of late Foes and KHS.

MTB B'dos
    You haven't looked at the Prime, have you? HTA is 67.5*/68*/68.5*, can't compare that to your old T29, that has such old school 29er geo Not quite sure how much slacker you want, but for me that's plenty slack enough and the 17.3-17.6" stays are short enough also, at my height.
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    but I've long felt that most 29r FS frames are a geometry compromise, the bike companies were so worried about maintaning a nimble feel they steepened the HA to maintain a "short" wheelbase and what they've maintained is a twitchy feel, especially in the longer travel bikes except Lenz and of late Foes and KHS.
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Sorry to say, but for and to me that's an obvious one at your size/height I just don't believe that 29ers are for everyone, despite the fact that I'll never buy anything else for myself, but then again I'm 6'2". I've always thought that for shorter riders, depending on their terrain and riding style a 29er was a compromise and that 650B would prob fit and suit them better - yes I know those short girls are winning world cup races on 29ers, still doesn't say they wouldn't do better on 650B with just a normal stem instea dof an inverted 15-20 degree stem to get the bars right.
    Hey Lynx,
    I get where your coming from, I only rode 29ers since 2008 , before they were the new trend. Now I ride two 650 bikes and have third on the way. For me, at 6'3" and a powerful 225 the 650 bikes feel way stiffer. I could flex every 29er I owned (5 of them). Worse still is the fork and wheel flex although $2500 on enve rims helped quite a bit.
    Everyone should ride what suits them but its not just about how tall you are. BTW, what didn't you like about 650b?
    Happy days,
    Medz

MTB B'dos
    You should try some of the new crop of 29ers, that are actually stiff - heaven forbid you're basing anything off maybe the original RIP9, even I, at a measly 165-170lbs could flex that POS Seriously, my new Prime is super stiff and the newer forks are also getting there. As to what I didn't like about 650B, it offered me NOTHING over a 29er, plain and simple. I must note, that unlike a lot of the whiners, I have never found 29ers hard to spin up or accelerate, (might have something to do with my previous 26" wheels XT 756 hubs laced to Mavic XM321 rims with 2.0 spokes), but it's just something I've never noticed, what I do notice is the huge amount of traction, especially on the steeps when maybe having stopped and need to restart (not that that's something I do alot now, but when I got my first 29er I wasn't that long into MTBing).

Last year I tested Maxxis 650B rubber, put it on the rear of the Prime and attempted a climb I had the week before climbed on 4 year old, worn out Ignitors and made and just didn't on either of the 650B tyres I tried. Now in saying that, I also tried the 650B on the front of my old 26er, a Giant Trance and I will say I did like what it did for that bike. Previously when my 29er was down I had thrown the fork on the Trance with reduced travel and thought the 69er was quite fun and had planned on doing it permanently sometime down the road, but after trying the 650/26er I found that was enough and that is the road I will travel for the Trance - used a 29er fork to test the 650Bs, getting a Velvet for the permanent solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Mederz View Post
    Hey Lynx,
    I get where your coming from, I only rode 29ers since 2008 , before they were the new trend. Now I ride two 650 bikes and have third on the way. For me, at 6'3" and a powerful 225 the 650 bikes feel way stiffer. I could flex every 29er I owned (5 of them). Worse still is the fork and wheel flex although $2500 on enve rims helped quite a bit.
    Everyone should ride what suits them but its not just about how tall you are. BTW, what didn't you like about 650b?
    Happy days,
    Medz
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    275 is far more plush, manuals easier and handles the steeper stuff better in both directions except that on the steep climbs I have to work a bit harder to hold the front end down.
    Nice bike Slowrider, love the color too. 1 question though. From the pic it looks like you have a lot of bar/stem/steerer height going on. Have you considered lowering the bars a bit to help keep the front end planted on the steeper climbs ? I ride small bikes too and have found as the front wheel gets taller I need to lower the bar/stem accordingly
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Thanks, the more I look at it the more I like the color. The bar hight is the only thing that allows me to climb for more than a mile without my back cramping up, so it's intentional and I know it creats a requirement for me to weight the front wheel a bit more in cormers and on climbs but if I lower the bar I can't complete the climb so the cornering dosn't come into question. I have the exact same bar/stem arrangement on my T29 and the front wheel remains planted without effort, I attribute that to the longer chainstays but what do I know.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the Bike looks great I would love to buy Intense, but they don't sell them where I live. Possibly a small factor why your wheel is coming off the ground then you last rig, steeper head angle, and more travel. My suggestion get a adjustable seat post raise it high on the climbs and stay seated while pushing your weight forward, or just walk up the steepness lol. I just recently purchased a Norco Sight Killer B2 its not in yet maybe as early as next week but there still three feet of snow so maybe in a month ill be able to ride. I wanted the B1 but Canadian prices are ridiculous. Anyway Congrats again