mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Nevegal 650B tubeless issues?

OK, so I've run Nevegal UST's with Stan's on my 26" bike for a couple years with no problem...sharp rocks, goatheads, cactus, whatever...no problems. As for the sealant -- screw the warranty, when was the last time anyone had a warranty claim on a tire? Sealant is mandatory here in New Mexico.

This weekend, my brand-new 650B Nevegal 2.35 rear got shredded on a trail I've ridden several times on my 26'er. TWO snakebites, opposite sides of the tire at different points, one puncture below a center knob, one in the center of another knob, all on one hit...and the Stan's couldn't keep up. The 650B's aren't UST...does this matter? My understanding was that UST is just a rim compatibility thing with Mavic and the rest of the tire construction isn't any different. I'm on Stan's Flow EX rims and was riding at about 35psi...max rim pressure for 2.2 is 38psi.

Maybe I'm just riding my new bike a bit harder, maybe I hit something just right. I don't know...it was a small rock, and I'd taken bigger/rougher hits off other features earlier in the day.

Anyone else have issues with Nevegals in 650B? I just can't see spending $90 on Hans Damps, as the Nevegals handle just fine.

NedwannaB
    I believe the UST versions do have a thicker casing as well as the specific bead configuration. That being said, I was surprised at how thin/light/smallish the Nev 650B 2.35 tire I got was (compared to the 650 2.1 which I have, and horror stories of the 26" 2.35 model) Use it up front without any issues so far, but not hitting too gnarly of conditions either. Only other thing neg I've heard about the Kendas is issues with using the Stans (i.e. tubeless goo) on non tubeless version tires.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I believe the UST versions do have a thicker casing as well as the specific bead configuration. That being said, I was surprised at how thin/light/smallish the Nev 650B 2.35 tire I got was (compared to the 650 2.1 which I have, and horror stories of the 26" 2.35 model) Use it up front without any issues so far, but not hitting too gnarly of conditions either. Only other thing neg I've heard about the Kendas is issues with using the Stans (i.e. tubeless goo) on non tubeless version tires.
    I was amazed at how light they were on the wheel also. I have a couple Nevegal 26" 2.35 and 2.1 UST's, but they're older and 60TPI folding bead, so they feel stiffer. Kenda's website says the new Nevegals are all 120TPI with a few exceptions. The UST's are all 120TPI, and only spec'd in 26".

Like I said...I've run Nevegal UST's (and standard Small Block 8's) with Stans for years and have never had a problem as long as I don't let it dry out and check inflation regularly. They seal fine from goatheads and cactus spines. What is Stan's supposed to do...dissolve the casing or something? And if you can't use sealant, what's the point of mountain biking on tubeless??

*sigh* ... I guess maybe I'll have to spend more money until more options come out. But first I'm going to try to patch this one because dammit, I want to ride my new machine!

NedwannaB
    New machine?....

dwt
    mtbr member

Nevegal 650B tubeless issues?

I run Nev 650b 2.1's on my HT. Other than being a beotch to set up on 1st generation Velocity Blunts, they have remained intact for 2 seasons. My sealant is mtbr homebrew

Posted via Tapatalk on iPhone.

"Old enough to know better and also old enough not to care. Best age to be."
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Keep on Rockin...
    Funny, I've run the Nev 275 on a Flow EX, out back for many hard, rocky miles. The tire has held up like a champ. More recently I swapped out to a 2.4 Vee Rubber Trail Taker out back on the same rim. I was looking for something that rolled faster, and was bigger. I'm going put out a review out this in another thread real soon. In short however, the Nev feels much more substantial to me. While a bit lighter the Nev's sidewalls feel much more sturdy and I can run it at much lower pressures than the TT.

I find the Nev to be a very good tire if you don't mind the rolling resistance. It's great up front on a 29er.

I'm 180# plus gear and run the tire at low psi, even out back. Probably less than 30 psi out back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah, I'm about 190# with water...the higher TPI casing feels thinner to me, but I think its just more supple. I love the Nev's, and have run over all kinds of stuff on my old XC bike ('03 GF Sugar 4+) running 2.2 rear / 2.35 front. I honestly can't see spending the extra money on Maxxis, Conti, or HD's unless I'm going to see this kind of thing on a regular basis with the Nevegals.

On my current bike (Banshee Rune) I even had both (Fox) fork and shock in descend mode. I'm thinking maybe I just had a bad day...but four catastrophic punctures is a lot to suffer on one hit. I even went back to look for booby traps as there have been some showing up on some other trails in the ABQ area...didn't find any.

Oh well...thanks everybody.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Machine:

"A simple machine is a device that simply transforms the direction or magnitude of a force"

"A machine is a tool that consists of one or more parts, and uses energy to achieve a particular goal. Machines are usually powered by mechanical, chemical, thermal, or electrical means"

Energy source: carbs, fats, protein, and alcohol.
    Parts: crank, gears, wheels....
    Goal: happiness.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabone33 View Post
    Machine:

"A simple machine is a device that simply transforms the direction or magnitude of a force"

"A machine is a tool that consists of one or more parts, and uses energy to achieve a particular goal. Machines are usually powered by mechanical, chemical, thermal, or electrical means"

Energy source: carbs, fats, protein, and alcohol.
    Parts: crank, gears, wheels....
    Goal: happiness.
    Funny guy. I ment bike....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by Stabone33 View Post
    . I love the Nev's, and have run over all kinds of stuff on my old XC bike ('03 GF Sugar 4+) running 2.2 rear / 2.35 front. I honestly can't see spending the extra money on Maxxis, Conti, or HD's unless I'm going to see this kind of thing on a regular basis with the Nevegals.

I'm thinking maybe I just had a bad day...but four catastrophic punctures is a lot to suffer on one hit.
    Welp, I'm done with Nevegals until they come out with a tubeless-ready version.

Out again yesterday in Otero Canyon, another snakebite and sidewall puncture, plus a puncture through the TOP OF A KNOB. After patching the last four punctures and upping the amount of Stan's sealant, these punctures barely sealed, and I rolled the last 100 yards to the car on a flat tire.

Smaller puncture at the base of a knob last weekend also...that one intermittently sealed and took me rubbing some baby-powder fine dirt in it before it stopped pissing sealant.

Ordered Hans Dampfs from Jenson USA -- cheapest I could find them. Still way more than they need to be. Also sent a note to Kenda via their website fairly begging for a tubeless-ready version that accepts sealant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Funny guy. I ment bike....
    So did I :-)